First attempt beef short ribs

Willie Smith

Can't believe I been grilling and bbq'n meat forever and have never tried beef short ribs. We gave them a try this evening.

01%2018%2016_0442-M.jpg

01%2018%2016_0444-M.jpg

01%2018%2016_0452-M.jpg

01%2018%2016_0455-M.jpg

01%2018%2016_0458-M.jpg

This was really a learning experience. Those short ribs look really awesome but in fact they were soooooo chewy; really tough. We laughed the whole meal. The flavor though was amazing. Next time it's a slooooow cook with the beef short ribs. Patti saved the day with her homemade banana bread.

01%2018%2016_0434-M.jpg

She is really an amazing chef and fun pard.....

As you said, you learned something Willie!! Please do try them again low/slow. Cooked to tender, they are heavenly!! I'm the banana bread master in my house, and Patti's looks delicious! Always looking for a new recipe to try if she's willing to share. I used one from "Beard on Bread".

Rich

Looks real guud, but I know what you mean about chewy. Rich G is right low & slow for short ribs.

Those short ribs are like gnawing on a 2 X 4 if you cook them fast, but L&S or braised they are wonderful. Kudos to Patti on the banana bread, looks great.

Do the short ribs again because they are great when done L&S. Thumbs up to Patti for the banana bread, awesome job.

Love the Banana Bread Willie, kudos to your CEO. I love the short ribs too, I cook them low and slow till a nice bark forms then I put them in a foil pan with some braising liquid like Worcestershire and a little dark beer or some other combo and some onion chunks. Cover it and let it go till a toothpick goes right through it.
Now I'm hungry for em

The plate looks great!

I normally do not advocate wrapping bbq in foil. Beef ribs is one place that I do. The braising period really helps get the beef ribs tender. The 3-2-1 method works really good. For those not familiar, this method is 3 hours on the grate, 2 hours wrapped in foil with or without a braising liquid (beer, apple juice, beef broth, etc), 1 more hour back on the grill no foil. Those times are a guideline and assuming your pit temp is running around 250°f.

Looks good to me. I'm positive that the next time you cook them, you'll have everything dialed in.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and words of wisdom on technique. I found out that not all types of ribs are equal. I'll post Patti's banana bread recipe on the dessert forum. Thanks again.

Back