First and Last Charcoal Cook of the Season

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Last night was the end of the charcoal season for us
Today starts the charcoal / open fire ban.
So last night I decided to do one of our favorites, KFC chicken thighs on the performer. Barb cooked up some corn on the bone on the E320 and also made a pasta salad.

Looking forward to a lot of cooks on the gassers….yeah right.

101_7338.JPG

101_7341.JPG

101_7346.JPG

So last night I decided to do one of our favorites, KFC chicken thighs on the performer. Barb cooked up some corn on the bone on the E320 and also made a pasta salad.

I feel for you, I really do.

Last year our burn ban started very early, when we smashed our all-time-high temperature records in early June. It was followed by a hot summer. Absolutely miserable, and the worst part was not being able to use the kettle.

What a difference this year! We're closing in on 80 inches of precipitation at our house — 8" of which has come just in the last 2 weeks. We haven't seen a day over 70, and very few have gotten to 65. It even snowed a couple of weeks ago! It's been a cold, wet spring so far, which means any burn ban (if we have one) might not happen until August. Which means I need more charcoal...

View attachment 50742

View attachment 50743

View attachment 50744
Rich, can you link that chicken recipe here? Looks interesting and I’d like to try it out. Thanks! Looks like you had a great meal there!

Looks good Rich, great looking meal right there.

Is there any chance of the ban being lifted, should you get any rain and/or cooler weather, improbable as that may be?

It seems to be very unfair to punish everyone with a total ban. I've never come close to starting a fire in 50 years of cooking with charcoal. These bans have " lowest common denominator " written all over them.

Wow is that just a flour batter on that chicken 🍗 😎
Joe, Barb and I have a lot of fun with these cooks. We start with a base of yellow mustard to make the coating stick and no you don't taste the mustard. Then any thing from panko to shake and bake seasoning . We've used Fritos ground up, corn flakes any topping you would like. Then we mix in seasonings like rubs, kicken chicken, steak seasoning, Etc.
Something new every cook.

Looks good Rich, great looking meal right there.

Is there any chance of the ban being lifted, should you get any rain and/or cooler weather, improbable as that may be?
Not likely this season. The prediction for our monsoon season is grim at best. No rain now for the last six weeks and its bone dry with high winds almost every day.
Most likely if we get some rain, they might lift it at the end of September.

Joe, Barb and I have a lot of fun with these cooks. We start with a base of yellow mustard to make the coating stick and no you don't taste the mustard. Then any thing from panko to shake and bake seasoning . We've used Fritos ground up, corn flakes any topping you would like. Then we mix in seasonings like rubs, kicken chicken, steak seasoning, Etc.
Something new every cook.
Have you tried ground honey nut cheerios? We use corn flakes most often cause I can get a big box of corn flakes on sale and grind them myself.

Have you tried ground honey nut cheerios? We use corn flakes most often cause I can get a big box of corn flakes on sale and grind them myself.
Mark, we have used plain and honey nut cheerios, both with good results.
One of our favorites is Wal Marts crispy chicken coating and add McCormick's Montral chicken along with a little garlic powder to it.

Back