Finally got mine.

RobNM

What's up everyone? What a journey this has been just to get a WSM. I posted back in July about my online purchase/online scam adventure trying to buy an WSM 18. Got my money back thanks to my bank and a lot of paper work on my end. Now the fun part begins. I will tell you COVID has really made it hard purchasing things. First it was TP then bottled waters, now at least where I live trying to find WSM locally or even on Amazon had been a chore. I have been keeping my eye out searching and searching even looking on Craigslist and what not.Finally..... September 19th 2020 I purchased a barely used 18 from a couple in Santa Fe. They were asking $200.00 for it, ended up selling to me for $150.00 plus through in a BBQ tool set. The couple was super nice, claimed they only used the WSM maybe 2 or 3 times. I got it home, and barely had to clean the outside, only thing needing cleaning was they didn't foil the water bowl.
I already did my first mod, charcoal grate mod. Will be purchasing a latch soon.
Did my first cook on it the next day. I smoked some Cornish hens, using olive oil,garlic,salt and pepper and a couple of hickory chunks; can't forget the Kingsford Blues.
Best dang Cornish hens I've ever made.
This coming up weekend I will be smoking some ribs, I have a brisket in the freezer I will probably throw on once I'm a little more used to it.

Attachments

• 20200919_123516.jpg
    20200919_123516.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200919_131713.jpg
    20200919_131713.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200919_123454.jpg
    20200919_123454.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200920_160543.jpg
    20200920_160543.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200920_180122.jpg
    20200920_180122.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Nice Cook! I worked at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Albuquerque, NM in the late 70's and was a great place to live and BBQ at that time. Still have fond memories of Beef Pieces in a gravy-thick New Mexico Red Chile Sauce!

Last edited:

RobNM

Nice Cook! I worked at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Albuquerque, NM in the late 70's and was a great place to live and BBQ at that time. Still have fond memories of Beef Pieces in a gravy-thick New Mexico Red Chile Sauce!
Richard, ABQ is a nice place for sure, weather, outdoors activities, and of course our food. I have been working on trying to incorporate New Mexican food ( red & green chili ) with my BBQ. As you know, chili goes great on just about everything. :wsm22::cool:

Lew Newby

TVWBB Wizard
Congratulations on getting the first cook done. Looks great. One tradition we brought with us when we left Albuquerque was Posole. Even my great grandkids like it and I make a lot every Christmas season..

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I never think much about game hens, I should. They would go a little quicker than chicken and sometimes I’m short on time!
My sisters old boyfriend made me posole once, he was a terrible cook! His had no “gumption” at all, he was always kind of a bland eater. He lapped it up like there was no tomorrow, I had one bowl and went for a cheeseburger!

RobNM

Congratulations on getting the first cook done. Looks great. One tradition we brought with us when we left Albuquerque was Posole. Even my great grandkids like it and I make a lot every Christmas season..
What Better way to celebrate Christmas with some fresh tamales, biscochitos, and a hot bowl of posole.

RobNM

Congrats on getting your cooker, hens look great. I can't wait to see your ribs this weekend!
Thanks Michael. I will take some pics and post them next week. Tomorrow doing skirt steak on the genesis. I put some red and green chili rub on them along with some other stuff in a zip lock bag, let's see how they turn out. Fajita Friday :summits650:🥳

Thanks Michael. I will take some pics and post them next week. Tomorrow doing skirt steak on the genesis. I put some red and green chili rub on them along with some other stuff in a zip lock bag, let's see how they turn out. Fajita Friday :summits650:🥳
That sounds like a great weekend of cooking! Chicken and/or steak fajitas are by far my family's favorite grilled cooks.