Finally got mine.

RobNM

TVWBB Member
What's up everyone? What a journey this has been just to get a WSM. I posted back in July about my online purchase/online scam adventure trying to buy an WSM 18. Got my money back thanks to my bank and a lot of paper work on my end. Now the fun part begins. I will tell you COVID has really made it hard purchasing things. First it was TP then bottled waters, now at least where I live trying to find WSM locally or even on Amazon had been a chore. I have been keeping my eye out searching and searching even looking on Craigslist and what not.Finally..... September 19th 2020 I purchased a barely used 18 from a couple in Santa Fe. They were asking $200.00 for it, ended up selling to me for $150.00 plus through in a BBQ tool set. The couple was super nice, claimed they only used the WSM maybe 2 or 3 times. I got it home, and barely had to clean the outside, only thing needing cleaning was they didn't foil the water bowl.
I already did my first mod, charcoal grate mod. Will be purchasing a latch soon.
Did my first cook on it the next day. I smoked some Cornish hens, using olive oil,garlic,salt and pepper and a couple of hickory chunks; can't forget the Kingsford Blues.
Best dang Cornish hens I've ever made.
This coming up weekend I will be smoking some ribs, I have a brisket in the freezer I will probably throw on once I'm a little more used to it.

Attachments

• 20200919_123516.jpg
    20200919_123516.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200919_131713.jpg
    20200919_131713.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200919_123454.jpg
    20200919_123454.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200920_160543.jpg
    20200920_160543.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200920_180122.jpg
    20200920_180122.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Nice Cook! I worked at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Albuquerque, NM in the late 70's and was a great place to live and BBQ at that time. Still have fond memories of Beef Pieces in a gravy-thick New Mexico Red Chile Sauce!

Last edited:
Nice Cook! I worked at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Albuquerque, NM in the late 70's and was a great place to live and BBQ at that time. Still have fond memories of Beef Pieces in a gravy-thick New Mexico Red Chile Sauce!
Richard, ABQ is a nice place for sure, weather, outdoors activities, and of course our food. I have been working on trying to incorporate New Mexican food ( red & green chili ) with my BBQ. As you know, chili goes great on just about everything. :wsm22::cool:

Congratulations on getting the first cook done. Looks great. One tradition we brought with us when we left Albuquerque was Posole. Even my great grandkids like it and I make a lot every Christmas season..

I never think much about game hens, I should. They would go a little quicker than chicken and sometimes I’m short on time!
My sisters old boyfriend made me posole once, he was a terrible cook! His had no “gumption” at all, he was always kind of a bland eater. He lapped it up like there was no tomorrow, I had one bowl and went for a cheeseburger!

Congratulations on getting the first cook done. Looks great. One tradition we brought with us when we left Albuquerque was Posole. Even my great grandkids like it and I make a lot every Christmas season..
What Better way to celebrate Christmas with some fresh tamales, biscochitos, and a hot bowl of posole.

Congrats on getting your cooker, hens look great. I can't wait to see your ribs this weekend!
Thanks Michael. I will take some pics and post them next week. Tomorrow doing skirt steak on the genesis. I put some red and green chili rub on them along with some other stuff in a zip lock bag, let's see how they turn out. Fajita Friday :summits650:🥳

Thanks Michael. I will take some pics and post them next week. Tomorrow doing skirt steak on the genesis. I put some red and green chili rub on them along with some other stuff in a zip lock bag, let's see how they turn out. Fajita Friday :summits650:🥳
That sounds like a great weekend of cooking! Chicken and/or steak fajitas are by far my family's favorite grilled cooks.

Back