Favorite drinks for the BBQ.

Jas

TVWBB Fan
What is your favorite drink while you are BBQing? Beer, margaritas, Bourbon? In the summer I prefer Gin and Tonic and Bourbon in the cooler months. Here in the south i do not get too many cold nights. I think Ill through some Ribs on the smoker this weekend and have a few beers while they cook and play some corn hole with the kids.

Any recipes out there for Moscow Mules? Never had one but sound interesting.

Bourbon and tonic, I know it's a weird combination but I like it. In my younger days it was beer, now I might drink a six pack a year.

I come from a long line of beer drinkers! After a long day, I might have a shot of whiskey to help ease the pain of the long day. But I am a beer drinker and have the belly to prove it! :p

Down here it's Shiner Bock in the warm weather and Lone Star in the hot weather. Shiner goes well with beef. Fireman's 4 from Real Ale Brewing is more flavorful and will stand up to any spicy sides. Of course, at about $8.25 for a 12-pack, Lone Star is hard to pass up.

Tito's or Deep Eddy vodka are popular, and there's a great little rum distillery in Wimberley (Cypress Creek) that produces a nice dark sippin' rum.

Down here it's Shiner Bock in the warm weather and Lone Star in the hot weather. Shiner goes well with beef. Fireman's 4 from Real Ale Brewing is more flavorful and will stand up to any spicy sides. Of course, at about $8.25 for a 12-pack, Lone Star is hard to pass up.

Tito's or Deep Eddy vodka are popular, and there's a great little rum distillery in Wimberley (Cypress Creek) that produces a nice dark sippin' rum.

My wife and I love the hill country. We are not headed down this year but will be next year. ill have to put the rum distillery on our list Lone star is some good stuff

I like it all---- I'll drink a cheap beer, but I prefer pale ales through IPAs (I'll even drink wine-cooler-ish drinks...(blood orange, anyone?). Whiskey, Tequila, Rum (and dark Rum). Dirty (gin) martinis, smart water (vodak), :) you name it.

If I have to pick a favorite, I'd choose a home brewed hard cider. It's super easy to make, cheap, and health-wise, I feel it's about the best kind of alcohol to drink.

I like sweet teas too.

What I really want to make but haven't yet? I had a 2nd gen Irishman (not sure that's politically correct but I admired their heritage) work for me a few years ago & the way he described the way his dad/grandpa/uncles spiked melons... I haven't tried it yet.

Clint the spiked watermelons on a hot day are killer, Been doing them for about 30 years or so.

Jameson & Ginger ale when it's cool out, or bourbon. G&T in the summer for a twist, but normally I'm a beer guy. Cheap american swill during the week, but the weekends I'll splurge and buy a good ale or IPA.

20140705_143842.jpg

Clint the spiked watermelons on a hot day are killer, Been doing them for about 30 years or so.

I've seen some where they recommend going nuts with a skewer to the melon's red pulp..... I think I'd want to do it like the video with just a few pokes.... Any pointers or did that video cover everything?

One thing I remember him saying was they cut the plug as a triangle...and it seemed they just wedged a bottle into the hole instead of using a funnel.

I'm really looking forward to my first spiked melon :)

My wife and I love the hill country. We are not headed down this year but will be next year. ill have to put the rum distillery on our list Lone star is some good stuff

Cypress Creek distillery is tiny (don't blink) but has a nice friendly outdoor "tasting room". It's on Jacob's Well Road, just a mile or two from Jacob's Well, which is quite a natural site to see. It's also only about 7-8 miles from The Salt Lick.

Sometimes I will have a brew while getting the Q going, been know to manage a beer and a BBQ tool and BBQ is good to have a beer with.

Beer. Just beer. I've had a bottle of top shelf tequila I got on a cruise a few years ago just sitting in the cabinet, never broke the seal on it. I used to love the stuff. Now, give me a good cold beer and I'm a happy man.
Tim

I usually drink a homebrew beer when I BBQ. What's in the glass depends what I have on tap in the beer fridge. This is a Red Ball Express Vienna Lager I tapped for Cinco de Mayo:

IMG_20160507_123150%201_zpsxvunwr9j.jpg

...of course I have been known to enjoy a sip of Maker's Mark from time to time in the cooler months.

043_zpsc8eed3fd.jpg

Last edited:
Where my family comes from there are indoor watermelons and outdoor watermelons. The indoor watermelons are safe for the kids. The outdoor watermelons have been moonshine infused for many years, maybe since before refrigerators. This started in Arkansas in the hills near Eureka Springs and Berryville.
I like it all---- I'll drink a cheap beer, but I prefer pale ales through IPAs (I'll even drink wine-cooler-ish drinks...(blood orange, anyone?). Whiskey, Tequila, Rum (and dark Rum). Dirty (gin) martinis, smart water (vodak), :) you name it.

If I have to pick a favorite, I'd choose a home brewed hard cider. It's super easy to make, cheap, and health-wise, I feel it's about the best kind of alcohol to drink.

I like sweet teas too.

What I really want to make but haven't yet? I had a 2nd gen Irishman (not sure that's politically correct but I admired their heritage) work for me a few years ago & the way he described the way his dad/grandpa/uncles spiked melons... I haven't tried it yet.

I'm a wino for the most part, but definitely enjoy beer and bourbon as well.

Back