Favorite drinks for the BBQ.

While I'm cooking-up something - what I'm sipping depends on the season
-For Hot weather, I like T&T (Tanqueray & Tonic Ice Cold, with a nice squeeze of lime) or Lynchburg Lemonade, Electric Lemonade (Blue Rasberry Vodka & good Lemonade)
-Family gatherings and trips "Up North" - it's good and fun to whip-up a bucket of Brandy Slush
-Cooler weather, I like to sip wine or beer with a bit more body

With Spicy 'Que - I like the way that a rather bitter IPA or Beer, ICE COLD, cleanses the palette
(Foster's when I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter, but NEVER Light Beer - that's the work of he-who-must-not-be-named...)

I'm a wino for the most part, but definitely enjoy beer and bourbon as well.

A wino here as well. The only BBQ pairing that I've been even moderately successful with is full-bodied pinot noir with pulled pork. I almost always reach in the beer cooler rather than the wine fridge.

I'm going to do a brisket in the next couple of days and will make it a point to try a wine. Something with high acidity and low tannin might be a good starting point. I'll report back. Any suggestions?

Jeff

A wino here as well. The only BBQ pairing that I've been even moderately successful with is full-bodied pinot noir with pulled pork. I almost always reach in the beer cooler rather than the wine fridge.

I'm going to do a brisket in the next couple of days and will make it a point to try a wine. Something with high acidity and low tannin might be a good starting point. I'll report back. Any suggestions?

Jeff

A good cab at the right temp pairs well with steak. So that might work for brisket too.

Jeff

A nice, oaky Syrah or Zin for me with the Q.

A nice, oaky Syrah or Zin for me with the Q.

Syrah sounds like a good suggestion. We have been trying to give the Texas wines a good go lately and some are starting to show high quality. Syrah grows well in Hill Country, as does Mourvedre and Grenache. Two of them -- Becker Prairie Rotie and William Chris Artist Blend have a great sense of place -- they taste like Texas. We'll see later today.

A lot of good responses. Tanqueray is my go to Gin with schwepps tonic only. The other tonic is horse ****. I like Jim Beam as well and have been known to go through some Crown Apple with cranberry juice. Lately I have been in to the Kolsch style beers and a favorite is Canebreak. Man I am thirsty now. My wife is a vino drinker and prefers a strong cab so I have deveolped a taste for the cab as well.

Cheers to everyone and time to make some Q this weekend.

A lot of good responses. Tanqueray is my go to Gin with schwepps tonic only. The other tonic is horse ****.
See if you can find White Rock tonic. I prefer it to schwepps.

Usually I have a hard cider in my hand while smoking, grilling, cutting the grass, etc, etc.

If it's warm, T&T and yes, Schewppes is the right one. Cooler weather, Perfect Manhattans (classic recipe, CC, vermouths with bitters, no cherry)UP! Beer anytime, wine depending on who coming and what's on the bill of fare. Brandy, bourbon, vodka, rum drinks (again, weather dependent) not much tequila, don't know much about that.
Good grief! It looks like I should have just said "Whatever pours!"

Try this, AWESOME Stuff. I prefer a spicy bloody mary and this hits the spot with no Tabasco added. http://zingzang.com/products/zing-zang-bloody-mary-mix2
I'm sippin' a ZZ Be Merry at this very moment.
This stuff is pretty good too, just add to tomato or veggie juice.

16c2016.jpg

Try this, AWESOME Stuff. I prefer a spicy bloody mary and this hits the spot with no Tabasco added. http://zingzang.com/products/zing-zang-bloody-mary-mix2

Thanks for the recommendation, Jas. I'll give that a shot next time I run out of 5 Pepper Master of Mixes.

If I can find that Demitri's I'll give that a shot too, Bob. Doesn't look like my local Total Wine stocks it.

I like to make up a batch of Sriracha salt a couple times a year to line the rim of the glasses as well.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sriracha-salt-364309

Clint sorry for the late reply.. No i dont stab the water melon like they did & the plug in the melon is a triangle not round, Once the plug is removed i make some long slits inside with my stiff blade filet knive and then just dump a bottle of ice cold vodka in till the bottle is empty replace the plug and put the melon back on ice, You can also use a mix of different types alcohol in there too.
Love me some bloody mary's my goto mix is Zing Zang thats some great stuff.

Watched an interesting episode of "Booze Traveler" a while ago - show involved a tour of sorts of Armenia.

Host was seriously impressed with some of the local Brandy's (they call them Cognac there, but France gets into a snit over it...)
Gave me thoughts about giving some a try. Local encyclopedic liquor store did not have much - but picked up a relatively inexpensive bottle of Ara Jan (not the more famous and expensive Ararat stuff). Was pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and drinkability of the stuff neat or over just a bit of ice. Gotta' look-up some concoctions to make with the stuff...

If you like a nip of Brandy here and there - give some of this stuff a try

Finally got around to trying that Zing-Zang. Took a large bottle of it to the Memorial Day BBQ, which was a big hit and was drained in no time. I liked the flavor better than Master of Mixes 9 Pepper, but the heat wasn't quite enough for my tastes. Found adding a healthy squirt of sriracha or a single drop of Dave's Temporary Insanity sauce added the perfect amount of heat for me.

Along with Q, hot sauces are another passion of mine and this is powerfully good stuff a buddy recommended a few years ago: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DID5T/tvwb-20 A bottle lasts a long time, because a little goes a long way.

Back