I've never been to California
But I kinda like the music
They say the tri tip is insane there
And they sure do know how to grill it

They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it
(apologies to 3 Dog Night)

Adam, on Man vs Food, gave the El Toro tri tip sandwich from Phil's BBQ in San Diego his award for best sandwich in America.
I did my best to make it here in Missouri.

Kicked things off with spuds sizzling in bacon grease.
IMGP0831.JPG

IMGP0832.JPG

Tri Tip marinated for 4 hrs. in Stubb's Beef marinade.
Time to start reverse searing over lump and oak.
IMGP0840.JPG

IMGP0844.JPG

Rested and some of it thinly sliced.
IMGP0847.JPG

Phil's sauce is a secret, so I concocted my own with Weber's and Walkerswood.
IMGP0845.JPG

Back on the grill.
IMGP0851.JPG

Tossed to caramelize.
IMGP0853.JPG

IMGP0854.JPG

My plate, Jo ate hers straight up with no sauce.
IMGP0864.JPG

Thats how it´s done folks! Awesome is the word. Emilie is hooked on Cali....She wanna move. And sure i would love it aswell but where do i start? Job is a must and so on....Alot of thoughts spinning around atm. Killer food Bob!

Boy Oh Boy that Tri looks PERFECT without adding the sauce AND then you made it PERFECTER!
then to wake to a breakfast like that.... HoleySmokes Bob!
Great Cookin' All Around!!

Bob that looks just perfect! Same with the breakfast! Barb and I lived in the town of El Toro which was right next to the El Toro Marine Corp Air Station which was about half way between LA and San Diego for 28 years. They changed the name to Lake Forest years ago (it's a California thing). Don't know if he named the sandwich after the air base or not. The base is gone and the land made into a park.

That looks great, Bob. It's great when one night's delicious dinner makes its way into a breakfast the next morning.

Holy cow, Bob! That tri tip sammie looks fantastic! Love the use of the leftovers as well.

Pics are outstanding as always.

I'm gonna road trip to Raymond soon, and I think I'll keep driving til I get you your town. Hope I can count on some great grub from the Correll casa!!:cool:

Fantastic looking sandwich and breakfast Bob!!! I'm not a huge fan of Phil's but there is always a line out the door to that place so hes doing something right. I've had that sandwich and its not bad, I'd take yours over his though.

Bob...that is the best looking Sammie I've seen here in a long time and I have never seen such a work of art sitting in front of me. If those are leftover....I would eat the leftovers of leftovers.

Incredible cook Bob you sent that out of the park for sure. Then taking it right into breakfast the next morning thats awesome for sure.
Like Rich said we lived in El Toro for 28 years and it was a great place and still is.

The Missouri Grill Master strikes again! Fantastic sammie and the breakfast would make a Lumber Jack un-buckle his trousers.

Good looking sandwich, Bob !

Might need to drop by Phil's one of these days.
Hillcrest area is my go to for BBQ when in SD.

Back