Easy Carnitas at Least that’s what the Recipe Said.

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Found a recipe that I thought could be fun and quick…five hours later it was done.
Maybe it wasn’t quick but it was very good.
Local Fry’s had pork shoulder on sale for $.88 a pound so why not try it.
Five pound roast cut into chunks and off we go.
Worst part was standing close to the E320 with all burners on high browning the pork in 103 degrees.
After that a few basic ingredients and a long slow simmer for 4½ hours on the E320, shred the pork put half in the oven on a cookie sheet at 400 for 15 minutes to brown it up a little.
Made up some tacos and dive in. Meat was super tender and flavorful.
Definitely a keeper.

Hope all of you are doing well

Stay Safe, Stay Cool.
101_5605.JPG

101_5613.JPG

101_5615.JPG

101_5619.JPG101_5622.JPG

101_5624.JPG

101_5625.JPG

101_5629.JPG

101_5630.JPG

Found a recipe that I thought could be fun and quick…five hours later it was done.
Maybe it wasn’t quick but it was very good.
Local Fry’s had pork shoulder on sale for $.88 a pound so why not try it.
Five pound roast cut into chunks and off we go.
Worst part was standing close to the E320 with all burners on high browning the pork in 103 degrees.
After that a few basic ingredients and a long slow simmer for 4½ hours on the E320, shred the pork put half in the oven on a cookie sheet at 400 for 15 minutes to brown it up a little.
Made up some tacos and dive in. Meat was super tender and flavorful.
Definitely a keeper.

Hope all of you are doing well

Stay Safe, Stay Cool.
View attachment 12532

View attachment 12533

View attachment 12534

View attachment 12535View attachment 12536

View attachment 12537

View attachment 12538

View attachment 12539

View attachment 12540
Those look tasty!

I love me carnitas tacos/burritos! The family always go for carne asada, I go for the carnitas.

Rich, you know what I am going to say, why didn't you...........?

Post the recipe....I did 🙃

Easy Carnitas

Ingredients

1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 pounds pork shoulder roast (boneless or bone-in, trimmed of fat cap and cut into fist-sized chunks)
salt
pepper
1 onion (large, diced)
1 clove garlic (crushed)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 cups chicken broth (3-4 14.5 ounce cans

Directions

Step one: Salt and brown the meat. Depending on how large your roast and Dutch oven are (this is the Dutch oven I always use for carnitas), you might need to do this in batches. You’ll want to brown all sides of your meat, so don’t crowd the pan too much, and this may take up to 15 minutes.

Step two: Long, slow cooking time. After your meat is browned, you’ll add the onions, garlic, spices, lime juice, and enough chicken broth to mostly cover the meat. That all simmers covered for about two and a half hours, until your meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.

Step three: Make it crispy. This is my favorite part. Now that your meat is nice and tender, you get to make it crispy too. You shred the meat, transfer it to a sheet pan, and let it crisp up in the oven at a high temp for 30 minutes, occasionally adding a little cooking liquid to keep it from drying out. As soon as you’ve got enough crispy edges for your liking, it’s done and you get to eat!

LOL!!! No, that is not what I meant. I meant, why didn't you use the recipe I posted for Carnitas the other day.

BUT, thanks for the recipe, does sound good!!

Hope this means you are feeling better and better every day.

Last edited:
LOL!!! No, that is not what I meant. I meant, why didn't you use the recipe I posted for Carnitas the other day.

We had plans for this cook and had to postpone it a day so I had to get this one first. I have yours

Have to put that one on hold till I can find some flank steak and get some OJ.

How would you rate this compared to pulled pork made on a smoker or in an oven? Seems like a sure-fire way to get pulled pork. Was it moist

Yeah, that also!!!!

I guess I should wait for that when/if he makes my recipe. You know, see if he is a better cook than DH. lol

How would you rate this compared to pulled pork made on a smoker or in an oven? Seems like a sure-fire way to get pulled pork. Was it moist
Tony, I've done carnitas in the smoker but not in the oven. The outcome of this cook was by far the moistest I've ever had.

Pork carnitas in the crock pot is wildly popular in my house. When I get the Costco two pack, I usually smoke one pork shoulder and crock pot the other. More tender/juicy than smoker pork shoulder. But no bark at all.

To get some bark-ishness, crisp it up in a skillet or under the broiler before serving. Since I do that, I skip the searing on the front end (which works too).

Back