Easter Brisket....some ?'s

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
So I have only done one brisket in my life and that was two years ago...so am going to go for another for Easter! I make notes for my cooks but for the life of me...I didn't write down whether I did fat side up or down. So which should I go with? I think I went fat side up....wrapped in foil and went fat side down. I don't know....maybe it was vice-versa.

Oh...am doing minion with foiled clay pot and wrap with pink butcher paper...will probably throw flat in cooler and make burnt ends. Used water last time and it came out awesome. So thought I should change it up. ☺

Fat side down, then foil fat side up, I use high temperature heat method and finish in 5 hours, Google it!

Pardon me for not understanding but, why fat side "down"? That seems counter intuitive. I would have thought fat up to maintain moisture. My brother is the WSM guy and he's away so, I can't ask him.
I'm sure it will become clear with the well practiced folks here!
When I step into the realm of WSM ownership, I really want to take advantage of information gleaned and not make any mistakes from first cook! So you guys have a lot of teaching to do! There now if I fail miserably it won't be my fault, heheheh!
Right!

Last edited:
Fat up or down gets brought up here on a regular basis.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bri...sket+fat+side+up+or+down+tvwbb+site:tvwbb.com

Since melting fat Does Not penetrate the meat, I go fat side down to help protect the non-fat side from drying out.
I sometimes trim the fat to about 1/4" and sometimes I don't.
I'm willing to bet a bag of charcoal that no one can tell if a brisket or butt was cooked fat up or down.

I agree with this too. I've done them both ways and can't tell a bit of difference at all.

I always do fat side down for briskets and fat side up for butts. It's just the way I've always done them.

BD

Everyone has their own preference. There is no right or wrong answer, just preference. I personally do fat side down toward the heat source.

When using an offset stick burner (most of my life) I always smoked brisket and butts fat side up...with the brisket point closest to the firebox side. And, I even installed baffles in my stick burner, which gave me an even temp across the grate. But, it still seemed to always cook faster toward the firebox...so, whatever I was smoking, I put the thickest side toward the firebox. And, with brisket, I always smoked fat side up, as the radiant heat source was never always from the bottom up, as it is in a WSM. The radiant heat in a stick burner would leave the firebox, enter the cooking chamber and go straight up, then end up coming back down on your meat. While the smoky convection heat, that is doing most of the actual cooking is swirling all around the meat. And, it made sense to me, since a lot of the radiant heat was coming from the top, to let it hit the fat on top...and that melting fat would roll down the outside of the brisket...and most of it would roll down the flat, and seemed to keep it more moist on the outside and acted as a baster or spritz. And, that's the way a lot of the old time Texas barbecue joints smoke their brisket. However, with the WSM, the radiant heat source is directly below the meat. Now, this is not the smoky heat that is rolling all around the smoker and doing most of the cooking. Radiant heat runs straight up from the heat source and heats anything it runs into. So, for my one and only pork butt I cooked on my new 22.5 WSM, I smoked it fat side down. I'm going to do my first brisket on my WSM this weekend, and also plan on smoking it fat side down. That way, the fat cap will actually protect the bottom side of the brisket from the radiant heat. But, then again, I think if you're going hot and fast it will make a bigger difference than if you're going low and slow. So, who knows! :wsm:

Most cooks use the fat cap to protect from excess heat. In a stick-burner, the heat comes primarily from above as it moves through the pit, so fat cap up. In a WSM, the heat comes from below, so fat cap down.

Thats correct, if you are using your WSB to smoke a brisket, your heat comes from the bottom so fat cap down. I normally use this on my vertical feed smokers, also your bark will be better on the top. Smoke it at your favorite temp (i do at 250-275F), some other poeple like 225F. Foil it @165 internal temp and add some apple juice, beef broth or anything you like(beer, etc). Check your internal temp and remove it when it reach 205F. Let it rest for about 1-2 hours in a cooler/cambro before slice. Some pitmasters doesnt like to foil it, do what works the best for you.;)

Regards,

Back