Dumbest question EVER!!!

M Schneider

TVWBB Member
I sure hate it that my first post here has to be such a dumb one, and I beg for mercy right up front. And if this is posted in the wrong place, again..........I beg for your forgiveness. I am not stupid and I am pretty good at fixing and repairing most things, but..........I have tried and tried and tried again to get that little round silicone disk (for the temp probes) into it's hole in the sidewall of my new toy, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get it into place! It's almost like some sick joke that Weber is playing on me, because for the life of me I cannot get that thing in that hole. Is there some special trick I need to learn to accomplish this seemingly simple, yet utterly frustrating task? For the time being, I have the hole covered with a piece of aluminum tape, but I'd sure like to get that silly disc in there like it belongs. HELP!! Thanks in advance. :confused:

Not dumb. I had the same issue. Actually when I got mine I went to assemble and I got the disk in almost instantly. then found out the center was out of round, and weber sent me a new one. new one shows up, I went to put rubber thing in and I could not for the life of me get it. I twisted, bent, pushed. but then it just popped in

There are other threads on here with the exact same issue. I will search and see if I can find any

Thanks for making me feel a little better about it Keith. I searched a little before I posted this, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I'm sure it's here somewhere though.

Welcome to the forum.
I think someone suggested using a little veggie oil on it, and it pops right in.
Good luck!

Ok, I know you have heard this one before, but it needs saying. The only Dumb question is the one you don't ask, and the reason people think I'm so smart is because I know the answer they don't, which someone else told me, which really makes me a parrot. Bryn wants a cracker.

As you look at the disk, think of the points on a compass, N,S,E,W.

I slid the rubber disk horizontally, and almost flat to the metal surface into the hole (Moved disk W), so that the inside edge of the metal hole, entered the gap of the disk. Now I squeezed the top (N) and bottom of the disk (S) and fitted more of the metal into the disk, then pinched the disk on the E towards the W side and pushed into the hole slightly and released. Massaged around the disk edge, and good to go. Hope this helps.

Bryn

glad you got it on. I did try a quick search and I know I have seen it on here but couldn't find where it was buried.

Now time to go smoke up a pork butt or a few chickens. welcome to the site and congrats on the WSM!!! I have only been a member here for about 6 months, but this place is the best...

...wondering if Weber initially had the insert in place but after struggling with it for soo long on the assembly line, they simply said,
"Screw It! Let the consumer install it themselves!!" ;)

...wondering if Weber initially had the insert in place but after struggling with it for soo long on the assembly line, they simply said,
"Screw It! Let the consumer install it themselves!!" ;)

I was thinking the same thing since it does not interfere with the packaging or anything.

I tried for about 30 minutes before my wife telling me to let her try it. She did it in less than a minute. I proceeded to mumble some things under my breath and then finished putting the cooker together.

That grommet is a PITA to put in.

I turned the air blue trying to install it. :mad:

Then the CEO showed up wondering what all the fuss was about, & then she proceded to install it in 30 seconds! Bah! :eek:

Edit: Didn't see Todd's post above. Hahahaha! Snap!

Last edited:
Funny!!! My boss just rolled her at eyes at me and watched me for hours like I was a hamster on a wheel going round and round and round with no end in sight. I guess it was amusing to her..............in a sick sort of way. :p

The other thing about the grommet is that cutting a slot is SO much more effective. It's a lot simpler to use the slot method. I used an angle grinder to cut mine.

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The other thing about the grommet is that cutting a slot is SO much more effective. It's a lot simpler to use the slot method. I used an angle grinder to cut mine.

Take a look at Post #9:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50942-Another-slot-mod&highlight=cutting+slot

YMMV
Keep on smokin',

Robert. Don't all the new WSM models come with a hole already cut for the grommet?

You still have to get the thing installed during assembly....:mad:

I agree, cutting a slot afterwards would make things a lot easier.

YMMV
Keep on smokin',

I'm thinking you're probably right about that. It's just that I hated being defeated by such a seemingly benign little rubber disc like that. It messed with my ego a little. Darned little thing.

oh my god. I still cant get mine in. Will try your method bryn

Thanks for making me laugh Angie C. Believe me, I'm not laughing at you though. That pesky little thing can be such a challenge. I used the vegetable oil tip and it worked like a champ. Initially I put too much oil on it and my fingers were so oily I couldn't get a grip on the darned thing. I just wiped all the oil off of it and then washed my hands, and there was enough oil left in the groove that it popped-in rather easily. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Back