Different !!

ColePell

TVWBB Member
I’ve been smoking ribs in my WSM for 5 years.. I had it figured out.. I bought a pit boss with pellets … not the same at all… cooked for the same amount of time… just curious if anyone has input… I think I overlooked them on the PB

Pellet grills don't do a great job of infusing smoke when compared to a WSM. You can use a smoke tube to pick up the smoky goodness. Pellet grills are wood fired convection ovens and will cook a bit faster at the same temperature as other indirect methods. Like any other cooker, they definitely have their place and also have a learning curve.

Pellet grills don't do a great job of infusing smoke when compared to a WSM. You can use a smoke tube to pick up the smoky goodness. Pellet grills are wood fired convection ovens and will cook a bit faster at the same temperature as other indirect methods. Like any other cooker, they definitely have their place and also have a learning curve.
Thanks!! I’m learning that … maybe fattier meats would absorb the smoke more too …

If you're interested in specific pit temps you may want to consider placing a third party thermometer on your pellet grate; my experience with pellet smokers is they don't report the actual pit temps. But I do like pellet smokers.

Good luck!

I’ve been smoking ribs in my WSM for 5 years.. I had it figured out.. I bought a pit boss with pellets … not the same at all… cooked for the same amount of time… just curious if anyone has input… I think I overlooked them on the PB
Why the change to the Pit Boss? I purchased my WSM new back in the year 2008 but have not fired-it-up for at least 5 years. Appears that the WSMs are being rapidly replaced by these “Out-Door-Ovens”. My “Go-To” is now my Weber Kettles fitted with a SlowNSear Deluxe and a Cajun Bandit Rotisserie.

Last edited:
The PID controller displays the set temp as long as the temp probes is sending a temp within the range that the PID is supposed to maintain. That window can be as much as +-50 degrees. Therefore, if your set temp is 275 and the temp where your ribs are is 320 you will read a constant 275 but your ribs will cook faster. I agree with Fletch. If you want to know the actual temp at a location then you need a remote thermometer. Cooking on the top grate may give you more smoke flavor but Bob's smoke tube suggestion works.

I recently got a small pellet grill for cooks when I didn't want to deal with charcoal. I had the same experience coming from my 14 inch WSM. For ribs I used the smoke setting for one hour before turning up the temperature to 250F. That added a nice subtle flavor. I found this out my mistake since I forgot to turn up the dial after starting the grill. I have a tendency to over smoke ribs on my WSM so I liked this change.

My second attempt at Ribs I was also cooking a pork butt which I gave a headstart set to 225F. The grate temperature was actually 240F. This time the ribs had much less smoke flavor without the smoke setting being used. The pork butt had a nice smoke ring but not much smoke flavor compared to my WSM.

For pellets I was using 3:1 a bear mountain blend with pit boss apple.

For chicken breasts, my family prefers the pellet grill over my kettle with a peach or apple wood chunk. The chicken has more moisture and doesn't get the tough outer skin that forms. On the kettle I cook them indirect on an elevated grate. The pellets give a subtle smoke flavor but less than the kettle.

Back