Curb Alert !!!

I am all about the luck. Had a run of picking up some really rough ones, borderline junk with good little odds and ends, then was rewarded with some really nice stuff. The Genesis 1 I just got is the prime example of, go with your gut when you see it. It looked dirty, but once I saw it in person, my gut instinct that it was solid came shining thru.

I have more remorse for the 'gotaways' myself.... 'if only I hadn't hmmmmd an hawwwwwd for that 5-10-15 minutes I would've gotten that one'...... missed it by that much..... Knowing which ones are worth it to pull the trigger on is key --- and guess work and really just luck.
Definitely. I recently picked up an unusually nice example of the Weber gas kettle. I didn't have time to add miles or an hour + to my return trip from the get together we had at Larry's, but I knew I would forever kick myself for not getting it.

Glad I went for it! :coolkettle:

I am busy with taxes right now, but I have done a little work on getting it functional again. My goal is to do a few cooks to test out the raisable burner that Weber promised would deliver 'indirect" and "direct" grilling. After that, it will be a museum piece. I hope to post a nice thread that answers some of the questions people have about these. You can't even get a manual or schematic for the gas kettle any longer, so I am having fun trying to fabricate parts!

IMG_6244.jpeg

Definitely. I recently picked up an unusually nice example of the Weber gas kettle. I didn't have time to add miles or an hour + to my return trip from the get together we had at Larry's, but I knew I would forever kick myself for not getting it.

Glad I went for it! :coolkettle:

I am busy with taxes right now, but I have done a little work on getting it functional again. My goal is to do a few cooks to test out the raisable burner that Weber promised would deliver 'indirect" and "direct" grilling. After that, it will be a museum piece. I hope to post a nice thread that answers some of the questions people have about these. You can't even get a manual or schematic for the gas kettle any longer, so I am having fun trying to fabricate parts!

View attachment 101503
Isn't it funny how Weber came out with this ad and then, after the gas kettle failed miserably they bring out the Genesis. Someone had egg on their face :D

Isn't it funny how Weber came out with this ad and then, after the gas kettle failed miserably they bring out the Genesis. Someone had egg on their face :D
Yeah, as late as 1985 while the Genesis neared its release, they still were bragging about the advantages of the gas kettle's "state-of-the-art features."
The story of how what became the Genesis was first begun behind the scenes at Weber are pretty interesting. They had to get old George :george: to OK the development of a non-round gas grill. He agreed (and was pacified later by being shown the prototype of the charcoal Performer).

I noticed that the serial number on my gas kettle (a very late, maybe even last year model) is only 28989. I have to wonder if they only succeeded in selling fewer than 30,000 of these!

Nice platinum 3500 without doors. Looks to have had them at one point. Spendy but worth monitoring for price drop. Lid looks good from pics.

That one has been listed for quite awhile at that price, another one that is very near me. I haven't been interested in it for a few reasons, the price, NG, and the fact that it's missing the doors which I also believe were there at some point.

That one has been listed for quite awhile at that price, another one that is very near me. I haven't been interested in it for a few reasons, the price, NG, and the fact that it's missing the doors which I also believe were there at some point.
I just wonder what some of these cabinet grills would be like know with the slat or wire floors... I think that may have been the savior for the fat frames...

If one of you wants to grab that black Platinum, I have a set of intact glass doors and some other parts (not all great) that Bruce gave to me. I don't see myself doing one anytime soon. That one would be a great candidate for adding the parts that I have. Since I can't do it, I would be happy to pass them on to someone who could. Not willing to ship, so they would have to be picked up.

I just wonder what some of these cabinet grills would be like know with the slat or wire floors... I think that may have been the savior for the fat frames...
Those had slat floors, so they do have a leg up on the newer ones with painted sheet metal floors. Nonetheless, they are pretty old now. The parts Bruce kindly gave to me definitely showed rust on the side and rear panels of the cabinet. They are very cool grills if brought back, but not likely that will be done without some hard work at rust restoration.

The glass pieces I have are a big plus, though! I would love for someone to go for this one.

I’m trying to figure out what I want to do for the bottom on the blue grill project, I saw some material somewhere but, I’m having a hard time deciding!
Jon,
Watch the mail there is a message on the way. And Thanks very much!

The glass pieces I have are a big plus, though! I would love for someone to go for this one.
How do they attach? How do the hinges work? I have never seen one in person and my curious mind is into that kind of stuff. Kind of get an idea for the evolution of the design. The simplicity of the hinge design on the early cabinet grills is pretty brilliant, though not super durable.

Guys I actually offered 50 bucks on that one a while back and they accepted but I never pulled the trigger ...

$50 is palatable. If it came with free doors, it would be spectacular!

Totally dreaming here, but I wonder what the glass doors, on an SS frame, with SS side panels would look like? 🤔

How do they attach? How do the hinges work? I have never seen one in person and my curious mind is into that kind of stuff. Kind of get an idea for the evolution of the design. The simplicity of the hinge design on the early cabinet grills is pretty brilliant, though not super durable.
You need to go get it Cody ($50 or even less) and then come to Indiana to get the parts I have.

Back