Crispy Hong Kong noodle with chicken, mushrooms and bok choy

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The days are slowly getting longer but still too dark and cold (45° is cold) and rainy.

So dinner is crispy Hong Kong noodles with chicken, mushrooms and bok choy in a mushroom sauce.

Enjoy the pics. I put some hot chili oil on mine and I’m warming up! From the inside.

1640836930548.jpeg

1640836950982.jpeg

1640836971599.jpeg

1640837004938.jpeg

1640837031040.jpeg

1640837057407.jpeg

1640837078207.jpeg

1640837116855.jpeg

1640837140702.jpeg

1640837176575.jpeg

Adapted from this recipe subbing in chicken breast, adding onion and bok choy. All the marinades are nearly identical and modded to my desired flavor profile. Enjoy!

Last edited:
That looks fantastic, although it's the first time I've seen a recipe that's in book form 🙃
I thought the same when I first ran across it but it’s actually really simple because the recipe above is showing you two ways to cook the noodles and two types of toppings.

Short summary, you can deep fry the noodles submerged in full oil or you can pan fry (shallow fry) the noodles which is easier for home cooks.

Next, you can choose the single protein topping, of which I’ve subbed chicken breast for, and add mushrooms per the recipe (shiitake and wood ear are my go tos). The second recipe topping is meat and fish.

So, shallow fry the noodles while flipping them every few minutes to ensure even browning. When done, plate the noodles.

Then hard sear your chicken, then toss and then remove from wok. Place in your bok choy and onions and stir fry for a minute or so till the onions have some hard sear marks, then add in the shiitake mushrooms, stir for 1 minute, add in wood ear mushrooms and stir.

Then add the mushroom gravy and bring to boil and then drizzle in cornstarch slurry till desired thickness. Then add back in the chicken, fully incorporate and once heated through, top the wok contents on the crispy noodles.

Really it’s quite simple. Just the recipe offers a solid education, history lesson and two choices/methods.

Last edited:
Thanks - Now I may need to buy a Wok;-)
This is the one I use in all my wok cooks. Perfect for home use.

Joyce Chen Flat Bottom Wok, Standard, Metal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4/?tag=tvwb-20

The right price is $35 or so. Anything more than $38 would be overpriced IMO

You’ll also need a ladle and Chan.

Here’s some good ones as mine are no longer available on Amazon.

Wok spatula and ladle,Skimmer Ladle Tool Set, Chinese Wok Utensil Set, All metal 304 Stainless Steel Cooking Utensils(15in,15in,14in) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KVVRPVJ/?tag=tvwb-20

Joyce Chen Flat Bottom Wok, Standard, Metal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4/?tag=tvwb-20

Wok spatula and ladle,Skimmer Ladle Tool Set, Chinese Wok Utensil Set, All metal 304 Stainless Steel Cooking Utensils(15in,15in,14in) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KVVRPVJ/?tag=tvwb-20
how about this one instead:

I have had this meal at a restaurant, and have thought "I wonder how hard is it to cook at home" and now I know.
Thanks.
You’re very welcome. By my 3rd time cooking it it became very easy. It is one of the more complex dishes to make but with a few simple tries, the recipe and technique will flow easily. Give it a shot and report back. Hopefully someone gets inspired by my posts. There are some very good chefs on this board from what I’ve seen.

Thanks for the links - I can see how the flat bottom ones would be much more practical, but the article made a good point about the round bottom ones using much less oil when cooking.

Hmmm. One of her favorites is hard crispy noodles. Buttt... if I cook it, her mom would take over and do it a totally better way. While explaining in no long way, how bad, terrible, and genetically inferior i was.
Will try this soon.

Thanks for the links - I can see how the flat bottom ones would be much more practical, but the article made a good point about the round bottom ones using much less oil when cooking.
Yes and no. If you have the ability to use round then def get one. Most homeowners don’t own a wok ring and won’t know how to keep a round bottom stable. For the masses, flat bottom is just fine. And you can lightly oil your wok and use a paper towel to get to nonstick. And a well seasoned wok will retain its nonstick properties (sans cooking with acidic foods which will take off the carbon patina).

I’ve just learned to use less oil. You’ll figure it out. Start woking!

Looks good but got to tell you 45° isn’t cold! Our forecast today is for a high of 22°f and a low of 2°f tonight. Just picked up a Tri tip to put on the Weber Q!

So put your pants on and get out to the BBQ and cook 🤣

45° here right now would be shorts and t-shirt weather!

Looks good but got to tell you 45° isn’t cold! Our forecast today is for a high of 22°f and a low of 2°f tonight. Just picked up a Tri tip to put on the Weber Q!

So put your pants on and get out to the BBQ and cook 🤣

45° here right now would be shorts and t-shirt weather!
That’s too cold for me. Forecast is sunny this weekend. Bought two St Louis racks for Sunday. Will try to do some surf n turf for tonight. It’s the first real sun we’ve had in a while. Our rain has been very solid for December. We need it but no sun is depressing over time.

Back