Could Not Resist

Forgot to wish you Happy Birthday by the way so happy belated. I will turn 65 in October this year Birthday's are actually depressing for me. :cool:

Brian you have me by 20 years, but at this point I realize those are quick years!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Bruce, I hope someone can find some information in this thread that helps them!

So this weekend I repainted my end caps with Krylon Ultra High Heat paint. I am very very happy with the product, and very very disappointed in my lack of patience. This paint takes a long time to dry, but it is gorgeous. I need to redo one end cap because I touched it when it was still wet, but I'm not complaining. Pictures to come, and I've reached out to RC for his stainless rod grates. This grill is just so much fun to work on and improve, it's going to outlast me for sure!

What sheen is the Krylon UHH? Is it gloss, satin, matte?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000YQ0BNQ/tvwb-20
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GXHXKSI/tvwb-20

Its easy to get confused Krylon has 2 high heat the specs appear to be the same might one might be a satin or whatever the other one different. I am assuming Th did not spend 20 bucks a can or maybe he did.

TH, Jon is using this also before the caliper paint experiment I wanted to try it but its not sold local here. Where did you find it?

I got it at my local Lowe's, it was about 9 bucks a can. It was the highest heat rating there, and the only reason I got it was because there wasn't any Rust Oleum High Heat Ultra there. It is a good product, but maybe not the Cadillac you are describing. Pictures to come, and I can photograph the can for those curious. It's just a pain to upload photos, and it's dark now so I'll get to it eventually. Just like I tell my wife :)

I got the Krylon “regular” high heat in a white can at Ace. New on the shelf there. It is a deep satin black and for my taste a richer color than Rustoleum High Heat. I found the Krylon high heat “max” at Lowe’s - new there as well - and I also did notice that Lowe’s seems to have a lot less Rustoleum spray paint now. The max is in a can with a color picture and is a gloss, though not ultra shiny, black. Both Krylon spray paints claim they dry in 15 minutes. I can verify they do dry to touch pretty fast.

I had put about 10 light coats on about ten minutes apart from each other. In that case, it does take at least overnight to dry properly.

Well I think the biggest selling point they have is re-coat anytime if I read the label correctly instead of waiting days to be safe with some of the other stuff or even 7 days for some spray paints. I will have to check my Lowes for sure they did not sell it before was in HD and Walmart the past week neither had it. Personally if it was me I would stick to satin should be easier to get a uniform look with less coats, I love the caliper paint high gloss but really to get a total uniform look to it probably needed a few more coats. Its hard to notice but sure I am not the only one here kind of anal on how stuff turns out.

On the other hand when my wife since I put it back together commented on how much nicer it looked and why did I not paint it like that to begin with I sure did not invite her to look closer. :cool:

Yeah, spray painting is an exercise in patience which at 45 I am only starting to appreciate fully. I just redid the right side end cap because I had knocked it over onto the drop cloth when I was painting it on Saturday, and boy oh boy do I wish I had not done that! Anyway, "for me, six times is a charm" to quote My Cousin Vinny. My wife thinks I'm completely out of my mind with the grill, but I like to have fun with it. "I told you, I'll take care of the grill! Stop pressuring me to get it so perfect!!" Gotta have fun with it!

Pics? To funny we all been there had to respray one of the lids cause I had it in my workshop to dry went to get something knocked it over scraped some paint off not bad it was just the edge on one side but I can tell you I was not to happy.

I'm going to respray one of those old metal Coleman coolers this week as well. Green. Looking forward to putting that right next to the grill, should be a trip down memory lane for a lot of us!

Left side:

IvT9WeS.jpg
[/IMG]

Right side:

CarmLcx.jpg
[/IMG]

Much happier with this than earlier, when I had used RustOleum High Heat Ultra, but did a poor job with drips and uneven coverage. This is about 11 to 14 light coats of Krylon High Heat.

RCPlanebuyer grates are going in once they arrive. After that, I'll just be painting the cooler :)

They are here! They are here!

Enjoy those suckers. You are gonna like them. For a long time.

Back