Could Not Resist

Carl, the photobucket site sent my computer crazy!

A lot of folks here use Imgur, you can then post pictures right here on the forum.

Good luck!

Tim

Oh boy. I went in a nontraditional direction last night and poured concrete counter tops for the grill. What do you think?

Tim

QtjtkXR.jpg
[/IMG]

d8odCYZ.jpg
[/IMG]

Awesome as long as the frame is in top notch condition and you have industrial wheels and you dont plan on moving it.

Yeah, it definitely adds weight to the frame, but I don't think it will give out. If it does, then there's just another repair to be done :)

Next I'm going to work on finding some kind of sealer for the concrete that is resistant to UV, remove completely the wood tables and fasten something to the bottoms of the concrete shelves to keep them in place. This is just the beginning. I only move the grill about three times a year, and I'll just go slow and easy.

I've got to do research on what people use to seal their outdoor concrete bars to determine the best sealer to use. Also, to get that veined look you sprinkle dry sanded grout into the mold you use to pour the countertops and it leaves pits. Fortunately, these can be smoothed out.

I think they would look better if they were not sitting on top of everything. AS they look now they look to me like an after thought. Actually if it were me...................I would look for remnants of quartz counters. Cut them to fit and attach them to the Z bars in place of the wood

I am reluctant to use the Z bars because of the weight of these things. I may cast another set and try because that would be the ultimate but I'm afraid that the Z bars would fail more than I am afraid that the frame would fail. If I do a z bar casting, I'd probably make it thinner, but then I would have to reinforce the concrete. As it is, the bottom table is broken and I have to recast that one today.

IMG_3920.JPGIMG_3923.JPGIMG_3921.JPG

Hi all, I just wanted to post a few pictures of my grill a couple (few?) years after its restoration. Granted, it is raining but overall it still looks pretty good. It gets plenty of use, from rotisserie chickens to just plain old burgers and dogs. The wood slats are oak, and they are a challenge. I have some spar poly on them, but I need to (one more time!) sand down, restain and reapply spar. There is I think some non-spar under the spar, and you can't tell when it's wet but the poly is now imperfect on the wood. Anyhow, those are I'd say 3 year or 4 year old RC grates, holding up incredibly. I clean before cooks, not after. Finally, in case our new friend is looking, that is the Char-Gon cleaning device which works perfectly with the RCPlanebuyer grates. This grill shows a hint of wear and a sniff of use, but that is because I use it. If I did nothing at all it would be fine at least another ten years. Of course, I'm going to re-do the slats and do some frame rustproofing, but that is because I want to not because I have to.

Thought it would be fun to show how they hold up after a few years.

Have fun!

Tim

Here's another update. I am FINALLY getting around to refinishing the slats for the tables and the lower shelf. I sanded all of the old material off, I had at one time sprayed automotive clear coat on them, then put non-spar polyurethane, and then spar polyurethane. It's all been sanded off:

IMG_4231.JPG

I'm also staining and spar-ring the two oak handles I got from somebody on here, I can't remember who anymore, but those have been waiting a while to get finished and put on. While I'm at it, I'm also refinishing the wooden handle for the Char-Gon, which is such a great grill cleaning tool. Here is the wood stained with Minwax Dark Walnut stain, and with one coat of Helmsman spar polyurethane. I'm going to put a few more coats of poly on everything, so this will take a few more days:

IMG_4234.JPG

I admire you effort. That is a lot of work. But, man is that going to look nice.

Steve, it was you! Yes, I'm excited to get to this. I was waiting for better weather. Only a few more coats of spar to go!

Bruce, yes, it is a LOT of effort. But the worst is behind me now. I guess I'll repaint the z bars while they are not fastened to anything, and I have a feeling that this is going to make the rest of the grill look like it needs attention, but for now this is what I'm doing!

I can see why flippers like the Silvers and not the thousands. There are a lot of wood slats on these old beasts. 30 to be exact. But I prefer the wood look to durawood or thermoset, so I guess I will just take my lumps and be glad when it's done.

I can see why flippers like the Silvers and not the thousands. There are a lot of wood slats on these old beasts. 30 to be exact. But I prefer the wood look to durawood or thermoset, so I guess I will just take my lumps and be glad when it's done.

42 slats with left and right tilt tables.

True! I prefer no flip up tables, because the grill is in a kind of "hallway" outside so I like it to be as compact as it can width-wise.
not to mention almost 30 percent fewer slats to mess with.

I haven't decided what wood to use on my Genesis 3 restoration that stalled. It has a temporary set of durawood from a '98 4000 , but the natural wood looks much, much better.

Thanks for posting the update.

not to mention almost 30 percent fewer slats to mess with.

I haven't decided what wood to use on my Genesis 3 restoration that stalled. It has a temporary set of durawood from a '98 4000 , but the natural wood looks much, much better.

Thanks for posting the update.
If I do another wood grill, and I probably will, I'm going to use hickory. It's very dense and hard. It also has a nice grain that will really stand out when it's stained.

The natural wood is also a pain. I am eager to see what happens this time, but I have been recoating that wood every couple of years. I'm hoping that by sanding all of the old finishes off and using spar polyurethane I won't get the peeling and cracking I have over the years. Time will tell. Before I sanded them down, there was regular poly and some automotive clear coat on the wood I think, so I'm hoping that only spar urethane will stick better outside over time.

Edit: The wood itself is red oak, and so are the handles Steve hooked me up with, so finally the handles should match the tables. I'm eager to reassemble it and see, but I have to be patient and get two more coats of poly on first, might be done doing that tomorrow, so reassembly could happen on Sunday.

If I do another wood grill, and I probably will, but never cook on it, I'm going to use hickory. It's very dense and hard. It also has a nice grain that will really stand out when it's stained.
did a little creative editing :D

edit: and you know we are all just kidding because we are envious of that grill.

did a little creative editing :D

edit: and you know we are all just kidding because we are envious of that grill.
That depends, you might be right of course. If I can't find another like new control panel I would probably cook on it. I'm also still looking for a skyline which I may leave as a durawood. We'll see what comes my way.

Back