Could Not Resist

I suggest Ribs, Burgers, dogs, brats, NY Strips, Ribeyes, Asparagus, chicken wings.
Any or several of those should give you something to work with.

The RC grates rock! I did make some burgers upon them before I left Monday for a work trip which I just now returned from. Bacon and filets do sound interesting though, and I while I was gone the OnlyFire ignitor arrived. Indeed, it is a beefy beast sure to outlast the stock Weber ignitor. I am filled with excitement for the weekend cooks to come!

I put the OnlyFire igniter in and tested it by firing up the grill. I decided since I had fired the grill up, I may as well allow the flames to burn the residue from the burgers last week off of the RCPlanebuyer grates. I must wholly endorse these stainless grates. I cleaned them up and wow. Just wow. What a quality product, well worth every penny for personal use. For flips, not so much. But for personal use, Wow. At this point, I can imagine spar varnish and probably new oak slats, and then the grill should be good to go until around 2030, when I will no longer be able to find parts for it :)

I put the OnlyFire igniter in and tested it by firing up the grill. I decided since I had fired the grill up, I may as well allow the flames to burn the residue from the burgers last week off of the RCPlanebuyer grates. I must wholly endorse these stainless grates. I cleaned them up and wow. Just wow. What a quality product, well worth every penny for personal use. For flips, not so much. But for personal use, Wow. At this point, I can imagine spar varnish and probably new oak slats, and then the grill should be good to go until around 2030, when I will no longer be able to find parts for it :)

At least your grates will still be good as new (maybe not new looking though) ;)

The grates are so good that I seriously think they would last for at least 100 years. You could probably clean them to perfect for at least 30 years before I can see anything happening to them that would be permanent. Just an impressive, well made product. Simple, sturdy and amazing!

Yep, I can't say enough good about them. I am sure they'll last hundreds of years. So good I'll bet thousands of years from now archeologists will find them and maybe even begin using them

If I can keep the rest of the grill up and running, they won't have to dig them up! My big concern for the long haul is the frame, but I finally did get to that recently, so I'm feeling pretty strong that after some spar the old 2000 will be seriously ready to stand the test of time ... of course I shouldn't say that but I'm getting cocky!

So over the holidays I’ve been off work. I ended up getting some new oak slats cut and stained. My previous efforts with oak were done with stain and interior polyurethane and they crack due to the UV exposure. Plus the old slats were just a bit too long. Instead of sanding all that poly off I went with new. In any event I’m putting water based spar on and wow, what a different product! It’s water cleanup instead of oil, doesn’t smell at all and it goes on like milk. It feels like I’m wiping milk on the slats. Has anybody used spar polyurethane? Can anyone corroborate my experience? This product feels too good to be true, so much easier than oil based interior poly!

Several have used SPAR but I think only the oil based version. It seems it is the product to use for the slats on the grills. I wonder if the water based Spar is as good as the oil based???

Great haha! I guess I’m a guinea pig again!

It does dry really fast. I’m about to put on a second coat.

I can let everyone know what happens!

LOL: I guess you are. But the proof will be after a couple months of use and exposure.

Great haha! I guess I’m a guinea pig again!

It does dry really fast. I’m about to put on a second coat.

I can let everyone know what happens!

I have used the the poly water based yes it looks like milk going on my floor guy had experimented with it for floors but if you like the look it is much lighter than normal stuff. He did not like the the results but that was for a floor. For our purposes it should be fine but I would do a minimum of 4 coats that is what is recommended if you have done 2 I would rub it down with some wet dry 600 then apply a few more coats.

Tim
Thanks again for putting this back on the website. I've learned a lot from it and just today stained my oak wood slats. I do have the Helsmans spa urethane to go on them. I'll post a few pics when done.
Carl

Carl that is the right spar to use. Water based spar is no good in the rain, so it looks like I have more polyurethane to do!

Back