Could Not Resist

Here's the table wet. I love a fresh application of polyurethane!

Dyv0eQa.jpg

And the other side:

oDAei90.jpg

Slainte!

Tim

Tim, I LOVE your oak wood slats!:D You beat me to the draw, as I am planning on something similar for my custom Genesis Skyline if I can ever get it really going. Tax season is in the way right now. I think the look is spectacular and a refreshing alternative to the more traditional red stained cedar. I hope it holds up for you.

From what I understand the spar varnish is the way to go, but yours sure looks great as it is!

Jon,

Yes, definitely use spar. It will be better protected from the UV. This wood was done with "regular" polyurethane, which will crack and peel after a year and a half or two years. At that time, I'll redo them with spar. I just used what I had on hand, but next time I'll go get some proper sealant.

Good luck!

Tim

So the next step is to strip the grill down and really get the frame where I want it to be. As far as I know, there isn't much rust but the last time the grill was disassembled to that degree was when I got it a couple years ago. My goals are to repaint the entire frame, remove the propane tank scale sticker and just kind of bulletproof the frame. While it's apart I may very well repaint the firebox, as it could definitely use it. Should be fun!

Jon, any progress on your Skyline? I'm very interested and haven't seen anything about it in some time!

Tim

Skyline limited progress...but WILL GET IT DONE!

Hi Tim,

Thanks for asking about my Skyline dream...Well I have to admit that tax season definitely crimped my grill restorations, and I was also crazy enough to pick up some more projects to the great delight of my wife:rolleyes:! So I have been trying to catch up all the honeydos and other things I ignore for three months, get some of my projects moving (slow), and figure out how to get anything done on when it rains every day, every weekend.

Still, I did at least do a little to keep my Skyline dream alive. I picked out a deep firebox, wire-brushed it clean and painted the outside with Rustoleum Ultra High Heat (semi-gloss black). I also did the same for the two endcaps (I was happy to have come across a set without the studs which I think gives a cleaner look.) I got the endcaps installed on my hood, put on my custom-painted logo and finally unboxed and used the classic Weber Grill Out light that I think will go great with the look I am trying for. Here's what the hood looks like:

16axphj.jpg

15zzft.jpg

I do have the frame pieces rustproofed, but they need sanding and final painting. I have wheels and casters ready along with a new manifod, burners, igniter and rcplanebuyer flavorizer bars. I am still thinking about my final choice(s) for grates. If I can just get enough uninterrupted dry time, I WILL get that frame finished and assembled. I think the rest, except for the slats, will come together fairly easily after that. (I hope:eek:!)

I have really nice red oak wood boards ready for staining and cutting. I re-read this whole post to think about it some more. I know some say not to use oak at all, but I can't resist the look. I know you have had to work hard on yours, but they look SO NICE! (Nothing against cedar which I also have and plan to use on some of my more traditional restorations, but this one is special.)

Brian in Atlanta pointed out this marine-grade spar urethane that gets rave reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LNS882/tvwb-20

Pricey, but I used Discover points and it will be worth it if it helps my oak survive the sun and salt air of my coast South Florida environment. When I finally get there, I will be posting a full report on my Skyline dream. I hope it will truly unique.

Last edited:
Jon, thank you for such a great update! Yes, I believe spar or "marine" varnish will fare much better than my attempts using interior (not exterior) polyurethane. I'm almost excited for when I "get" to refinish my slats with spar!

Also, I LOVE the studless endcaps. My brother has a GSB with those, and he doesn't really care at all about pristine condition of his grill. The end caps are wasted on him!

In any event, I'm personally looking forward to seeing your amazing grill come back to life!

Are you NG or LP?

Tim

Oh, and I love the logo and that unique handle!

You have patience dear sir, something which I have been toiling for years to obtain. That makes results so much sweeter!

Tim

Yes, patience us a virtue earned through time. Better to slowly but steadily pursue a dream than not to dream at all:D!

My grill is LP because we don’t have natural gas available here. I noticed that Weber has a black “hoodie” for lack of a better term to cover the LP tank. A little hokey, but for ten bucks I might do it on this grill since the urban Chicago all-black look is kind of what I am aiming for.

That hood looks nice and clean Jon. Don't forget to take out the batteries from the light handle if you're not going to use it for awhile. It sucks when your light doesn't work because the batteries exploded (true story).

That is a sweet hood Jon. I am looking forward to seeing that on a fire box and frame with some pretty wood slats.

Thank you sir!

So today I completely disassembled the grill thinking I was going to paint the frame FINALLY, and what happens? My wife brings home steak and sea bass, and I have to reassemble the grill to cook it! I can't blame her as it's my birthday and all, but I thought that was kind of funny. I've been dying to repaint the frame for a couple of years now, and the very day I am ready to do it this happens! But I digress and cannot complain.

I did get a couple of things done today though. Stainless bolts replaced the old frame bolts. One problem I had was I snapped a bolt off on the lower frame. One of the long cross bars. I ended up drilling the bolt out and using a helicoil to get a new bolt in. Not fun, but not too bad. I have some frame sanding to do before I can repaint it, but I am definitely excited to repaint the frame, cookbox and side caps. This time I'm not going to remove the side caps, I'll just tape the hood up real good because I want the bolt heads in the side caps to blend better. Then it will just be a couple years before redoing the oak slats with spar varnish!

Thanks!

So FINALLY today I painted the frame. It's currently upside down drying. I hope it comes out nice, I used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra for the frame for the gloss properties. I'm going to end up repainting the firebox with "regular" Rustoleum High Heat, and hit the side caps again too. It would be a shame to have a nice clean frame and put the dingy firebox back in. I guess the paint lasts for only a few years on the firebox, at least when you never cover your grill, which I don't. Pictures coming in a day or two.

Slainte!

OK, so almost 3 years after finding this grill, it is now in what I consider to be pretty much final condition. FINALLY the frame is painted, and I ended up repainting the firebox and end caps:

zoLBqfI.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Another view, with new knobs:

xZKI5Ep.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

One last shot:

PmrU9pW.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Slainte!

OK, so almost 3 years after finding this grill, it is now in what I consider to be pretty much final condition. FINALLY the frame is painted, and I ended up repainting the firebox and end caps:

Slainte!

Looks great! I absolutely love your oak slats (especially with the long bottom trays) and the maroon/plum/crimson hood is very sharp - not your run of the mill:D. I am trying to do my part to keep up and hopefully will have my Skyline dream closer to reality this Saturday - I sure hope, anyway!;) One suggestion: I have been trying this spray product "303" with good success on the plastic wheels. Of course, other plastic trim restore products should also work fine. I think it brings out the black and white contrast on the wheels making them look almost new and, at least here in FL, the white plastic white wall part is very susceptible to drying out and disintegrating. I am hoping the 303 will help with that.

Congratulations on a super nice grill:cool:!

Thanks Jon. This thing is now to where I can say without a doubt it is MUCH better than any currently available weber grill on the market, and will last longer by a lot. I'm excited to see your Skyline progress, you were my inspiration to "just paint the darn frame"!

Back