Could Not Resist

Thanks guys; when I get around to the frame, it will "really" get finished up.

As for the wood, yes, it's kind of a wait and see. What I'm thinking though is that if I feel like it needs more clear, I probably won't take all the slats off again; the metal parts will do just fine with some clear on them.

I almost want it to rain to see how the wood does!

Slainte!

Thanks guys, keep your eyes open, people get rid of these things often!

Here is the first rain, and look at the beaded water on top of the clear coat:

003_2.jpg

From a very, very preliminary first rain situation, the wood looks great. It appears to be completely sealed inside the clear coat.

Of course, more rain, hot sun, frozen snow and ice and wear and tear will be a truer test, but this very preliminary first rain result is certainly encouraging.

Slainte!

So here's an update after one summer with OAK and using Automotive Clear Coat.

Not that great.

Live and learn!

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Yup, all the bolts are stainless.

I'm opening up a can of clear coat (they only last 1 day) so I'm going to wait until it dries out because it's been raining. Then I'll probably take all the wood parts into the shop and hit them with a sander quick then add a coat of clear.

Rob, yes, they are all SS screws!

Bob, thanks, but it looks good from far ..... up close not so much.

Dave, that is an option, but I'm going to power through the winter with automotive clear I think! Thank you!

Tim

OK, so now there is a new challenge. I need to convert this grill (Genesis 1000) to natural gas. Any pointers? I'm sure there are lots of threads on here about this exact question, so I will search, but has anyone converted from LP to NG on a Genesis 1000?

The valves, (and jet orifices) are different between the LP and NG 1000-5500 Genesis series.

Easiest way is to find a NG manifold (with valves attached) and do a straight swap.

The conversion from LP to NG is actually pretty simple and straightforward BUT must be done carefully and not for the faint of heart or shaky hand. Once you do it unless you buy a whole new manifold you cannot go back. The differences are as follows: NG has less energy per cubic ft. So more gas must flow to maintain BTU. So the main orifices (jets if you will) have to be sized correctly based on the gas pressure you'll use in WC (water column) inches. Most home gas is at 7" WC. But many gas appliances (gas grills included) use an inline regulator to reduce the pressure to 4.3" IIRC. The benefit here is by using the regulator it will "smooth out" gas flow to the appliance when other household "loads" come online or offline. I.e. if your furnace turns on or off, or if like me you have a whole house tankless water heater which can draw up to 200K BTU.
Once you establish if you'll use the regulator the orifices need to be resized to correct size based on the BTU of the attached burner. On the Genesis 1000 total BTU is 36K so 12K per burner. There are charts showing the proper size based on pressure. Then the remaining "issue" is on LP version of the X0000 versions of the Weber Genesis there are 3 internal orifices in each valve. Low, Med and High. In order for the grill to function properly at low/med those internal orifices need to be enlarged. There is no chart for this. So I simply did once valve and did trial and error until I got the flame control I wanted recording the proper drill sizes as I went. It's a little tedious but once done you're done.
Good luck!

Beautiful restoration. Like new! I'm in the process of restoring my 02-04 Genesis Silver B. Not sure the exact year I bought my first gas Weber grill. But it is in need of repairing the frame, so I decided to paint the body as well. Not a major restoration job. But something I think I need to do before the rust at the top of the frame gives out from rust. The stainless steel tubing has a hole on 2 sides right now. Maybe appr 2" from rust. So before it eats away the other 2 sides I decided to do this job. I took it apart yesterday and started to sand the rust spots throughout the frame. The body's paint is pretty much gone from usage. That was sanded down as well. I think I am ready to paint. I am going to buy Rust O Leum High temp paint. But do I need to spray primer on before? Or will the High Temp paint be good enough?

OK, so now there is a new challenge. I need to convert this grill (Genesis 1000) to natural gas. Any pointers? I'm sure there are lots of threads on here about this exact question, so I will search, but has anyone converted from LP to NG on a Genesis 1000?

Sent you a P.M.

D: I just painted with the black rust oleum high temperature paint, and directly on the cookbox. I was concerned about a primer's ability to withstand the heat, so I just put a couple coats of the black on.

Rick Dahl, the manifold arrived today, and I've already installed it. Thank you kindly! I'm now quite literally cooking with gas! Also, thank you for the local shutoff valve. Very excellent!

Last edited:
Rick Dahl, the manifold arrived today, and I've already installed it. Thank you kindly! I'm now quite literally cooking with gas! Also, thank you for the local shutoff valve. Very excellent!

You're very welcome, glad I could help. I love my NG genesis 320 the tank never runs out.;)

I already gave my tanks to my brother! First cook tonight, flawless. Just flawless. Thank you again!

Back