Clint

TVWBB Olympian

"
How deadly is the coronavirus?
Based on data from 44,000 patients with this coronavirus, the WHO says:

• 81% develop mild symptoms
  • 14% develop severe symptoms
  • 5% become critically ill
The proportion dying from the disease, which has been named Covid-19, appears low (between 1% and 2%) - but the figures are unreliable.

Thousands are still being treated but may go on to die - so the death rate could be higher.

But it is also unclear how many mild cases remain unreported - so the death rate could also be lower.

To put this it into context, about one billion people catch influenza every year, with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths. The severity of flu changes every year.

"

Me, I don't interact with people that much. I do worry about Barb and her working part time as a cashier at Safeway she interacts with hundreds of people a day touching pretty much everything they touched. I also read we have a case of it here in Arizona.

Well, it looks like as a country we are just steering right into this one so I hope it's ok. I'm worried about it, but I can't do anything at all about it other than wash my hands more, I guess.

How's that? 60 cases in the US, 42 off one cruise ship. More people crossed the border than that today loaded down with drugs that will kill hundreds.

The Guardian, a non-tabloid paper out of Manchester, England, has a page dedicated to their coverage that on most days includes a frequently updating live blog.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/coronavirus-outbreak

It is about to get very interesting. There's a patient in UC Davis Hospital who is the first US case with no known contact to other cases or from travel to affected areas. She was admitted to her little local hospital, then transferred to Davis on 2/19 when her condition worsened. The doctors at Davis took one look at her and asked CDC for covid19 testing, CDC said no (limited test kits and patient had no known transmission risks) and the women wasn't tested for another 4 days. Good luck to health officials with contact tracing her back to the beginning of February.

How's that? 60 cases in the US, 42 off one cruise ship. More people crossed the border than that today loaded down with drugs that will kill hundreds.
Those two things are entirely unrelated and we are skirting to close to a political discussion which this forum discourages. Let's just say I'm not optimistic that it's going to be stopped. My hope is that it's overblown. Also again, there's not a thing I can do about it. Remember how Ebola was going to kill us all?

We just have to hope for the best. Very limited confirmed issues in places with flush toilets. Lot's of politically incorrect details left out of most media coverage.

I'm in daily contact with 20+ Chinese nationals in multiple regions and not one of them has seen or heard of anybody with the virus other than what's on the TV news. Small sample for sure but quite promising.

Factories in most all regions have started back up. Goods have begun shipping.

I'm 100% confident that the brilliant medical minds will come up with a solution very soon.

Covid-19 transmits more easily than the flu. China has been less than transparent about the outbreak, so doctors and scientists world-wide have very little data on how deadly it is and who (by age group) is affected the most. Just from the unreliable figures released by the Chinese government, Covid-19 has a fatality rate over 2%. The outbreak just started in December and yet it has spread to every continent except Antarctica. Is humanity doomed by Covid-19? Of course not. Over 30,000, on average, annually die in this country from the flu. This season so far it's over 40,000, including a higher than average number of children. During the 2017-18 flu season, 80,000 Americans died. And no one bats an eye at that at those numbers. The Chinese economy has ground to a halt for over a month. The world-wide economy has slowed down. And that was before this week's world-wide market meltdowns. Covid-19 has been having a significant effect on the global economy for over a month. So yeah, communicable diseases are a big deal.

Very limited confirmed issues in places with flush toilets. Lot's of politically incorrect details left out of most media coverage.

I'm in daily contact with 20+ Chinese nationals in multiple regions

Tomorrow, ask those 20+ Chinese nationals if they have flush toilets. 🙄

Having been through all kinds of these killer plagues and all while working in the airline industry exposed to all kinds of travelers from all over the world even being coughed on, sneezed and spit on by these people and I am still here none the worse for wear. I know we're not supposed to be making political posts and this really is not meant to be, BUT... <political comment snipped>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been through all kinds of these killer plagues and all while working in the airline industry exposed to all kinds of travelers from all over the world even being coughed on, sneezed and spit on by these people and I am still here none the worse for wear. I know we're not supposed to be making political posts and this really is not meant to be, BUT... <political comment snipped>.

SARS. Ebola. H1N1. Never heard a thing about it. 🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow, ask those 20+ Chinese nationals if they have flush toilets. 🙄

I don't have to ask.

I work in China, Eastern Europe and SE Asia. I worked through Bird Flu, SARS, and MERS. I saw it first-hand and the areas that were affected the most. Those areas did not have good sanitation.

You can't trust the sensationalist media. I'll stick with first hand reports from people that I know and trust.

Asked at CVS about face mask availability, was told they ran out as soon as the reports about the 1st unknown source case hit the news.

As a survivor of Everclear and moonshine in my youth I refuse to be taken out by a virus named after a cheap beer.
I have wondered how Corona Beer feels about this. :rolleyes:

First described in detail in the 1960s, the coronavirus gets its name from a distinctive corona or 'crown' of sugary-proteins that projects from the envelope surrounding the particle.

A doctor on the talk show I was listening to yesterday explained the face masks were useless at preventing the spread of or catching of this virus. Excuse me now while I go and cough into my elbow and wash my hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back