Corned Beef for St Paddy’s Day

If you have the cold storage room...... honestly, corn your own meat. Hint: commercial preps skimp on the corning spices, don't be afraid of them. Roast & steam for corned beef, or smoke for pastrami, them's good eatin'. I found an Almost Katz's corning recipe that works darned well.

I really hope you guys get to experience Katz’s first hand. Or Harold’s in NJ. Both are exceptional places.

Grobbel's seems to be the brand I get most often. Never been disappointed. Nice thing about this time of year is that the stores have a ton of them to choose from. You can hand pick some nice cuts. I usually pick up a few and freeze them for later use. Love it boiled with red potatoes and cabbage.

I don't bother with corned beef anymore because we like pastrami so much.
Same here. Several that I've done:

Been doing home cured for as long as I can remember. I change up the cut from year to year. Doing an eye of round this time. If there's room in one of the freezers I'll usually cure a whole brisket and make pastrami out of part of it, otherwise it's usually eye of round, tri-tip or top sirloin.

I did an oven roasted CB&C a few years back. Best I've ever had - I need to dig up that recipe.

View attachment 67360

Edit: I think this was it.

@JimK - Did you tweak this recipe at all or did you make it exactly as described on the website? I'm thinking about trying this tomorrow with a 5# brisket I got at Costco. Any advice you can give? TIA

@JimK - Did you tweak this recipe at all or did you make it exactly as described on the website? I'm thinking about trying this tomorrow with a 5# brisket I got at Costco. Any advice you can give? TIA

If memory serves, I followed to the letter.

I'm just going to go ahead and do the corned beef in my dutch oven. What do you think about my idea to rest the corned beef? I was thinking that in order to get the vegetables and the meet to come together at the same time that I could take the meat out when it's done and rest it in a cooler. I would then dump in the vegetables and let them cook for about an hour and then serve. Seems like it would work as this is, after all, a brisket.

I would think you would have to rest it for quite a bit. I know I do when I cook it up for sammies
Why would it need to rest for a long time? I’m thinking that I wouldn’t take it out until it’s done. That’s why I want to separate the veggies from the meat. That way I can focus on each and get them done properly. Not a big deal, just getting my game plan on for Friday.

I usually do them ”early” like day before early, chill the beef, slice it cold (stays together better) put it in a pan with some of the reserved cooking broth, cover and reheat in the oven. Before feast time. That leaves you plenty of time to cook the “eating vegetables” in the reserved broth so they come out just right at feasting time.
Really, since it’s a braise, it’s not resting, it’s just keeping warm. The “juices“ don’t need to redistribute like they do in a roasted protein.
the above is the method my sister in law and I used for the church feasts for years and it really works well. I’m doing a slight variation on the technique, crockpot the beef overnight, remove to a hotel pan, chill strain the broth, chill that off as well de fat the next morning. Day off, prep fresh vegetables cook them either in stock or water. Cabbage and onions I tend to cook in the stock, I prefer Brussels sprouts and potatoes less overpowered by the seasoning in the beef stock.
So, that’s my plan for this weekends feasting!

I usually do them ”early” like day before early, chill the beef, slice it cold (stays together better) put it in a pan with some of the reserved cooking broth, cover and reheat in the oven. Before feast time. That leaves you plenty of time to cook the “eating vegetables” in the reserved broth so they come out just right at feasting time.
Really, since it’s a braise, it’s not resting, it’s just keeping warm. The “juices“ don’t need to redistribute like they do in a roasted protein.
the above is the method my sister in law and I used for the church feasts for years and it really works well. I’m doing a slight variation on the technique, crockpot the beef overnight, remove to a hotel pan, chill strain the broth, chill that off as well de fat the next morning. Day off, prep fresh vegetables cook them either in stock or water. Cabbage and onions I tend to cook in the stock, I prefer Brussels sprouts and potatoes less overpowered by the seasoning in the beef stock.
So, that’s my plan for this weekends feasting!
This is a great idea. I put the meat on about an hour ago. Will deal with the vegetables tomorrow. Thanks!

This is a great idea. I put the meat on about an hour ago. Will deal with the vegetables tomorrow. Thanks!
You are very welcome sir!
I decided that I’d big one this morning, went out to run some errands by the time I got home, it smells great!!!

Last edited:
The cook and dinner went well. Doing the meat yesterday worked out great. Pulling everything together today was pretty easy. Food tasted great and we‘re all sitting around full talking. All is well.

Back