Corned Beef for St Paddy’s Day

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Is there a significant difference in various corned beef products? I’ve typically just go to my local Kroger and get something on sale. I’m wondering if there‘s better options that I would actually be able to tell the difference in. I saw a corned beef today at Kroger that was from Boar’s Head (not sure if that‘s only a local brand) but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra cost. My general thought is that it’s like most any brisket where how you cook it has the biggest impact.

Boars Head is top notch cold cuts. Beware many "corned beef" products are not brisket but round. I am assuming you're asking about cold cuts for sandwiches.
Nope. I’m talking about a corned beef brisket for corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s day.

Boars Head brand is high quality. I’d have no reservations in buying theirs. SRF also makes a great CB (can be found at Costco).

The meat quality and the brine combined make for a good CB. There are really good CBs you can buy and average CBs.

Buy what you’d like to spend.

I just picked up a very promising flat ready (corned) to simmer. The commercially corned ones are not bad, I grew up on them but, about 25 years ago my sister in law and I started doing the church feast and she corned them according to the Cooks Illustrated Method and they are worth every bit of effort! But, you’ve all heard that sermon before.
I’m not doing the corning myself this year, just don’t feel like it. The one from Costco is probably twice the size of the “grocery store” variety So between one of each I think I’ll have enough for a possible ten for the feast of St. Patrick!

I’d like to try the boats head, I have found their products to be very good.
I’ve done the SRF Costco corned beefs for years, I have gotten rounds only from them, they are pretty damn good.

If it's the point cut I don't bother buying a more expensive brand.
Now the flat I will spend more on.
Vienna makes a good CB.

Yeah, we do the St. Patt's Day thing every March. Why wouldn't we? I'm one eighth Irish. But my Irish friend laughs at me because the Irish don't really eat corned beef on St Pat's Day. Only the dumb Americans do that, apparently.

Not all cryovac corned beefs are the same. I've had one that was truly horrible. Horrible meaning ridiculously tough and stringy, barely edible, and not because we undercooked them. I've even had horrible corned beef at the deli (not boar's head). Most are great though. I can't remember the names of the ones that are good or bad - sorry. But I would go with a point to maximize your chances. I agree, Boars Head deli meat is always good but I've never seen Boars Head corned beef in a cryovac. If I did, I would buy it. I"m headed to the store this morning to look for some.

I have never seen the Boars Head either. If I did I would likely try it. Though some may laugh...........................I never make corned beef for cb and cabbage. I make it and then chill it and make my own deli style for cn sandwiches. Though no matter how hard I try I can never quite match a top notch deli sandwich from a Kosher deli in Chicago. One of my all time favs was up W Devon and N. Ridge in Chicago. Can't remember the name but oh boy those CB or pastrami sandwiches. AMAZING!

I have never seen the Boars Head either. If I did I would likely try it. Though some may laugh...........................I never make corned beef for cb and cabbage. I make it and then chill it and make my own deli style for cn sandwiches. Though no matter how hard I try I can never quite match a top notch deli sandwich from a Kosher deli in Chicago. One of my all time favs was up W Devon and N. Ridge in Chicago. Can't remember the name but oh boy those CB or pastrami sandwiches. AMAZING!
That’s because a kosher deli will boil the CB and then drop it in a steam tray for slicing, like pastrami.

Most people boil the heck out of a home cooked CB. Boil/simmer till it’s 190° or so and then move it to a steam tray; a wire rack atop a sheet pan, add water, cover with foil and steam through for final doneness. You can stop steaming at 195°. You want slices, not shreds.

Last edited:
I don't bother with corned beef anymore because we like pastrami so much. Its like a hamburger vs. a cheeseburger. Whenever I get my hands on a beef, and that beef has been corned, I'm 100% gonna finish the job by rubbing it down and smoking it up.

I use the Katz's clone recipe from amazingribs.com, always turns out just right. I still have some in the freezer; last weekend I thawed some out, diced it up and made a dip out of it with cream cheese and mayo, I added caraway, grilled onions and hot mustard. My brewin' buddies ate it all up.

Last edited:
I don't bother with corned beef anymore because we like pastrami so much. Its like a hamburger vs. a cheeseburger. Whenever I get my hands on a beef, and that beef has been corned, I'm 100% gonna finish the job by rubbing it down and smoking it up.

I use the Katz's clone recipe from amazingribs.com, always turns out just right. I still have some frozen for sandwiches, the other day I thawed some out, diced it up and made a dip out of it with cream cheese, caraway, grilled onions and hot mustard.
Totally agree. I’ve been making my own corned beef and pastrami for many years using the AmazingRibs recipe(s). I’ve done both round and brisket with wonderful results. Does take some advanced planning though.

Here is a link:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci.../home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe/

I've bought Grobbel's from Sam's Club the last couple of times we made corned beef:

PXL_20221117_121536106.jpg

Often times I pressure cook corned beef and it turns out great, but the last couple of times I've smoked them on my pellet grill. I do a light pastrami rub (because otherwise our family thinks the peppercorns and coriander overpowers the corned beef flavor) and make Reuben sandwiches. I wrap it in foil after it hits the stall and put it back on the grill. No steaming. I treat it a lot like a regular brisket.

PXL_20221117_170051692.jpg
PXL_20221118_000150300.jpg

Looking back at some other threads, I feel like I definitely want to try the SRF corned rounds at Costco for St. Paddy's Day this year. Will be on the lookout next time we head there. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've bought Grobbel's from Sam's Club the last couple of times we made corned beef:

View attachment 67355

Often times I pressure cook corned beef and it turns out great, but the last couple of times I've smoked them on my pellet grill. I do a light pastrami rub (because otherwise our family thinks the peppercorns and coriander overpowers the corned beef flavor) and make Reuben sandwiches. I wrap it in foil after it hits the stall and put it back on the grill. No steaming. I treat it a lot like a regular brisket.

View attachment 67357
View attachment 67359

Looking back at some other threads, I feel like I definitely want to try the SRF corned rounds at Costco for St. Paddy's Day this year. Will be on the lookout next time we head there. Thanks for the recommendation.
I buy the same ones and cook the same way. Sometimes after about 3 hours of smoke I put them in the Instant pot on a trivet with a little water in the bottom and pressure cook for about 15 minutes. They come out great.

I just buy whatever brand is on sale at my local supermarket but I am picky about which piece I buy. I look through every single one! We roasted everything in the oven last year, was excellent. Used this recipe.
I like the recipe @JimK posted, I may give that a try this year. We love horseradish in our house!

3C17D8A3-6F03-4857-84B4-791F1BC71FA6.jpeg
A62FD043-C17C-46CF-A6F2-B1769142619C.jpeg

Last edited:

Back