Cooking Brisket In An Ordinary Oven

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
My wife was commenting last night that she wants to cook a brisket in the oven. While I know how to smoke a brisket and love doing it, I know nothing about cooking one in the oven. Can anyone speak to the differences in the two approaches.
Thanks

My wife was commenting last night that she wants to cook a brisket in the oven. While I know how to smoke a brisket and love doing it, I know nothing about cooking one in the oven. Can anyone speak to the differences in the two approaches.
Thanks

I've actually done this, and it looks like I've found the original recipe. I watched an espisode of this show "back in the day" when Michael made this. I followed this recipe myself shortly after and thought this came out quite good. Granted it's not true bbq and lacks the bark and smoke ring but it's worth the effort - at least as I recall now almost 20 years later.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/oven-barbecued-beef-brisket-recipe.html

Why would you do that to a brisket? That's like putting steaks in a crock pot! Just kidding. I think maybe some kind of braising approach would be a good idea.

Cook it the same way you would in your smoker. If you want to cook it faster us the hh method.

I've braised a full brisket a few times and it comes out great! carrots, celery, onion, garlic, potatoes, under a seared (S&P) brisket in a braising pan, bay leaf and lipton's onion soup mix over the top.. Red wine as the braising liquid. Cook in a 375 oven, covered till fork tender (stole this from my Jewish friends from their Passover dinners :) ) Not BBQ, but a great roast

I know what you are saying Dustin. It is something she wants to do so I hope it comes out good. Besides, if she wants brisket I am always happy to make it. But remember, we are talking about SWMBO, and I do love her so that's all that counts.

Why would you do that to a brisket? That's like putting steaks in a crock pot! Just kidding. I think maybe some kind of braising approach would be a good idea.

Sorry Dustin, not everything under the sun needs to be smoked.
I have done a couple "Passover" style briskets and they were fabulous!
Sear, remove, sweat three pounds of onions in the roaster, scraping up the fond from the brisket, replace the beef on top of the onions, add five big bay leaves, some stock or wine or even just water, cover and roast. Sometimes a full mirepoix isn't necessary but, you can as you wish.
When there is three feet of snow outside with twenty five MPH wind, tending a kettle or smoker isn't a pleasant job. No, it's not like a smoked brisket but, it's every bit as good. There are more ways to cook than we can shake a stick at.
They all have their merits and drawbacks, they are all good but all different.
Your analogy of the steak did make me cringe, though. I understand your point totally!

Last edited:
+1 for braised/pot roast style. Millions of Passover meals can't wrong. As a bonus you can do the whole show in one pan.

I have never done it, but I would think the brine over night is key to keep it moist. I'm sure it can still be very tasty. I would do more than just S&P since it wont have the smoke flavor. Or you could try liquid smoke. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm like Dustin, I want to smoke everything. :D

Before I knew anything about smoking. I was stationed at Ft Hood TX in 85-86. We were living pay check to pay check. We could get briskets for .39 to .49 a pound. My wife would cook it in water (2/3 way up the brisket) in the oven adding beef bouillon, garlic, onion powder salt and pepper. We would then slice onion and place it on top and then put strips of bacon over that and cook it @ 350* until tender about 3 hours. It was really good this way.

Been grilling and smoking about 85% of our dinners this summer, except for super high winds and monsoon downpours that's what we do. I have to say Barb and I are getting a little grilling and smoking burn out.
I like the idea of a oven brisket, whole different flavor profile. I know with winter on the horizon the grills for the most part will go into hibernation and we will be moving inside. To be quite frank I'm looking forward to it.

Yep, same canoe with you Rich! Don't get me wrong, I love the whole grilled/smoked thing, it's been a great summer for just such projects but, when this latest heat wave breaks I might want some other delicacies, I will be very happy to dispatch any brisket my brother feels like making, or anything else for that matter. I love to cook I mean LOVE to cook but, I do need a break now and then.
My grill is accessible year round, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patricks Day, I cover the 18 but, the 22 is cleaned and ready to load at a moments notice!

Robert,

Isn't your wife concerned about the "carcinogenic" effect of bbq/charcoal cooking?

If so, perhaps she likes brisket but this is her answer to a "safer" way to cook it?

jz

I know what you are saying Dustin. It is something she wants to do so I hope it comes out good. Besides, if she wants brisket I am always happy to make it. But remember, we are talking about SWMBO, and I do love her so that's all that counts.
Love conquers all. If I had to cook it in the house, I think I would crock pot it. I like the crock pot cooks over the oven cooks

Love conquers all. If I had to cook it in the house, I think I would crock pot it. I like the crock pot cooks over the oven cooks

Need to build one of these Chuck for your winter cooks at least you can dream it's a real Weber:cool:

DSCN3465_zpsytahho4f.jpg

I have GOT to visit Prescott! You are truly a piece of work Rich!
Besides, I loved it when my wife and I visited twenty five years ago!

Hi John. I think it is because her doc was on her case about salt and when she told him that we smoke and grill, he hit her with the carcinogenic think. I think he did that because she had cancer 30 years ago. I think the brisket think is just something she is curious about. I have gotten her a few recipes from one of the posts here and from Food Network. As long as it is not tough, I will be happy.

Robert,

Isn't your wife concerned about the "carcinogenic" effect of bbq/charcoal cooking?

If so, perhaps she likes brisket but this is her answer to a "safer" way to cook it?

jz

The CDC has just come out with a report that our AIR is a big contributor to lung cancer, we are poisoning the environment and where I can appreciate the BBQ concern, however valid, we have bigger fish to fry as far as waste.
Getting off my soap box and heading to my corner.
I understand the personal impact and consequence well, I have had family and friends stolen from the evil that is cancer. We can only do so much.

Back