Commerical Rubs Question

BenM

TVWBB Fan
90% of the time I make my own rubs. Like most of you I'm sure, I like to experiment with different flavors and such.

But once in a while, I am in the mood to try one of the commercial rubs on the market. Which have you guys used and liked? And just as important, which did you try and didn't like?

Thanks

Not sure if Slap ya Mama was what you were looking for, but we like the regular yellow label stuff on various meats. It definitely has a kick to it, so don't go too heavy.

Anything by Heath Riles BBQ, THE BBQ RUB and THE BBQ RUB HOT(not really that hot) by Malcom Reed, and a couple from Meat Church, HOLY COW, GOSPEL and his Honey Rub.

Anything Oakridge.
Read up on them, nothing but the best ingredients made weekly in small batches.
I use that and a fair bit of killer hogs rubs.

Moving to Barbecuing Forum. Posts in the Rub Recipes Forum must begin with an actual recipe.

Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy all-purpose, beef, pork, and chicken rubs are good. Have not yet tried several of his newer flavors. Sterling Ball's Big Poppa Smokers rubs are good, especially Money BBQ Rub. I have not tried Steph Franklin's Simply Marvelous rubs, but many in the California BBQ Association use them and like them a lot.

I am currently using Meat Church The Gospel All-Purpose rub which I like a lot, and I've got jars of Joe's Kansas City Big Meat Seasoning and Kosmos Q Honey Killer Bee waiting in the on-deck circle.

Last edited:
(from another thread on the subject...)

Amongst our favorites, in no particular order...

Big Poppa Smokers -
Sweet Money
Desert Gold
Cash Cow

Simply Marvelous BBQ -
Spicy Apple
Sweet & Spicy
Sweet Seduction
Pecan

Ben, if you really want to splurge and try something amazing get some smokewood from “Fruitawood” I’ve used their bourbon merlot barrel stave stock and it’s truly a game changer! I will be using that for a party over Labor Day weekend. I’ve tried the Heath Riles peach rub and it’s interesting.

Ben, if you really want to splurge and try something amazing get some smokewood from “Fruitawood” I’ve used their bourbon merlot barrel stave stock and it’s truly a game changer! I will be using that for a party over Labor Day weekend. I’ve tried the Heath Riles peach rub and it’s interesting.
Mmmmmm, sounds awesome. I am planning a brisket cook in a few weeks. This sounds perfect! TY

The big thing in a brisket cook is…START EARLIER THAN YOU THINK! The long rest on the back side (I’ve gone as long as ~4 hours) is much less frustrating than cutting that short and only giving it half an hour. I’ve been in that boat, and don’t like it.
as far as a rub, I’ve gone straight to Texas for that, straight salt and pepper, and, the smoke does the trick for my money.

I've done brisket on Traeger. They usually take about 8 hours, then a test for several more.

I normally use SPG as rub

Last edited:
I’m doing an 18# one and will plan on 20 hour cook time, plus a few hours resting. That might be a little over but, one can never predict when the product will tell you it’s finished. Maybe 16 hours+ resting. We shall see.

SuckleBusters 1836 - campfire steak - SPG -honey bbq. the 1836 is my favorite on brisket, it's very black pepper forward so if you don't like great black pepper t=you might not like it, also love it on steaks but wife likes the campfire, the honey is great on chicken and pork, there's a few more but forgot what they are, what I dont like is some of the spicey rubs that say to use it till it's salty enough and then stop, way to salty for me the heat level is where I want it. I see folks adding multiple rubs and I always wonder how much salt are they adding ? .

Back in the days when I was doing all of the cooking, I used to get all of my spices from this company, and yes, also tried a lot of their spice blends. Was always happy with everything.

Kosmos Q Dirty Bird is really good on anything. Meat Church Holy Cow is good on anything beef. I also use their Holy Gospel with is a mix between the Gospel and Holy Cow(It's confusing).

I buy John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub in bulk. Been using it for more than 10 years. I have tried a lot of others, I just keep coming back to this. Harry Soo's all purpose rub is similar but not as spicey. Probably closer to Butt Rub.

I’ve got a bunch, beers and my phone make ordering WAY too easy!
Oakridge is high quality stuff, love almost everything they have, order a sampler to try.
Spiceology is a lot of outside the BBQ box stuff, vey nice. I have Kozmos and Meat Church, I think 8 of each?? Looking forward to trying them all. I keep them all vac sealed and in Cambro buckets.

Back