Coals still good?

Jeff Bray

After my smoke I had a lot of good coal left on the bottom, I closed all vents to put it out but my wife later on watered it down and put it out. My question is are the watered coals any good now or if left in sun to dry will they be fine?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Those coals are probably water logged. Trying to dry them out will most likely not make them usable.
As you use your WSM, the gunk that builds will help close off any small leakages. Then, when the vents are all closed, the coals will snuff themselves out in very little time leaving you with usable coals for the next cook. My WSM is cold to the touch within 30 minutes of closing the vents.

Ban her from the cooking area!!! LOL I imagine she was just trying to help but I think the coals are a goner -- simple lesson learned. Good thing charcoal is cheap.

Hi Jeff,
Those coals are probably water logged. Trying to dry them out will most likely not make them usable.
As you use your WSM, the gunk that builds will help close off any small leakages. Then, when the vents are all closed, the coals will snuff themselves out in very little time leaving you with usable coals for the next cook. My WSM is cold to the touch within 30 minutes of closing the vents.

So are you saying not to clean, and let the gunk buildup?
I cleaned mine up after it cooled, maybe I shouldn't have.
If she tries that again I'll throw her in with the coals!!

Jeff

So are you saying not to clean, and let the gunk buildup?
I cleaned mine up after it cooled ...

Jeff

Let it build up my friend and you'll be amazed at how easy she is to hold a set temp. ...and kill the coals when your done for use the next time. You can knock down the flakes with a paper towel but to scrub the goodness off would be counter productive.

yeah..let the inside gunk build up, it helps create very consistence cooking temps. move on from the coals...life is too short to agonize.....

Dwain and James spoke volumes. The process of building the gunk is commonly called seasoning, a vital process in obtaining true BBQ goodness.

Back