Classic Genesis model ID assist?

Genesis 1.
Yeah, I agree, it's a Genesis 1.....oddly, weber.com has that model number listed at 411001, and I don't think that matches what is on the sticker (hard to read, but the last number is certainly NOT a 1, though the first number does appear to be a 4.) I'm sure they had changes, and likely don't have schematics for all of the various Genesis 1 permutations, especially since the parts probably didn't change much. The schematic does seem to match.

She’s awesome, certainly appears to be fairly early I would guess.

I’m no expert as I’m myself a recent convert to the older gassers, well pre-2000 or so roughly as I don’t particularly care for the later stuff other than the very recent one (I know kettles much better but still no expert🤣) and my own research leaves my head swimming a bit.

Solid score though. Be interesting to see if it’s cost early dates or later if distinguishable

The newer wheels are puzzling.
Could just be that the PO replaced wheels with what he could get, I guess? I'm not familiar with the older wheels.....what are the differences? I may have some older wheels (if you can tell me what to look for) in my parts pile. :)

R

The older wheels looked like these on this genesis 3. I think this one is a 1990 or 1991 and I don't know when the style changed.

it was just a cosmetic change not worth changing out ( in my opinion )

1689084584429.png

I am guessing that Weber hoped by moving the whitewalls in that they would be less susceptible to the letters breaking up as seen in that picture. I am not sure that really worked, though.

You can buy 3-D printed versions of the inserts for both that older style and the more common ones from the Genesis x000 and early Silver days. Maybe even get the "snowflake" ones from the later SIlver/Gold/Platinum grills as well.

I am guessing that Weber hoped by moving the whitewalls in that they would be less susceptible to the letters breaking up as seen in that picture. I am not sure that really worked, though.

You can buy 3-D printed versions of the inserts for both that older style and the more common ones from the Genesis x000 and early Silver days. Maybe even get the "snowflake" ones from the later SIlver/Gold/Platinum grills as well.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the online supply of the 8" whitewall wheels that are used on the older Genesis grills is rapidly drying up. There are only a few places that actually still have anyScreenshot_20230711-175637.png stock right now. I don't know if Weber is planning on making any more of them or if they are joining the list of parts that you can't get any longer.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the online supply of the 8" whitewall wheels that are used on the older Genesis grills is rapidly drying up. There are only a few places that actually still have any stock right now. I don't know if Weber is planning on making any more of them or if they are joining the list of parts that you can't get any longer.

Yeah, I've seen that the price of that style wheel keeps going up.

@Jon Tofte mentioned 3d printing. search for "Chuck's inserts" and you'll find him on FBM, maybe eBay and I've seen a couple here on the forum have gotten his inserts.

I think that a combination of painting and using 3D printed inserts is probably the way things will have to go in the future. My painted wheels for my Summit worked out great, and I plan to do that more often. I got the idea from @Brian B Atlanta who says his have lasted for several years with no issue.

IMG_9321.jpeg

IMG_9479.jpeg

I think that a combination of painting and using 3D printed inserts is probably the way things will have to go in the future. My painted wheels for my Summit worked out great, and I plan to do that more often. I got the idea from @Brian B Atlanta who says his have lasted for several years with no issue.

View attachment 74546

View attachment 74547
I think you're right Jon. The wheel itself I think actually holds up pretty well over the years. That white insert is definitely the Achilles heal of the design.

Anybody got a guess on the model number??

The serial number gives it away.

L = LP

L1 is the Genesis 1
L3 is the Genesis 2
L7 is the Genesis 3
L4 is the Genesis 4
L5 is the Genesis 5

The serial number gives it away.

L = LP

L1 is the Genesis 1
L3 is the Genesis 2
L7 is the Genesis 3
L4 is the Genesis 4
L5 is the Genesis 5

Thanks, Chris.....I was so focused on the model number that I couldn't read that I totally spaced on the serial number (knowing full well that you had the decoder ring available!) :)

R

I think you're right Jon. The wheel itself I think actually holds up pretty well over the years. That white insert is definitely the Achilles heal of the design.
If the letters are intact and you can get the insert off, a washing and light sanding, followed by white paint does wonders. The after picture is the same wheel and insert as the before picture. But I did have to swap out the other wheel because it had a broken insert.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the online supply of the 8" whitewall wheels that are used on the older Genesis grills is rapidly drying up. There are only a few places that actually still have anyView attachment 74539 stock right now. I don't know if Weber is planning on making any more of them or if they are joining the list of parts that you can't get any longer.
I have a big box full of them...various conditions of course.

If the letters are intact and you can get the insert off, a washing and light sanding, followed by white paint does wonders. The after picture is the same wheel and insert as the before picture. But I did have to swap out the other wheel because it had a broken insert.
I gotta explore doing this.

Back