Christmas Rib Roast Long Overdue

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
This is a rib roast I'd purchased in January of this year. It had originally been purchased for a family gathering that never took place. After much thought and advice from some of you I decided to celebrate our Christmas by cooking it. It's an 8.1 lb. roast. I thought it was Select but noticed on the old packaging that it was Choice. My rub is Slap Yo Daddy Beef Rub. I'd planned to use my 18" WSM but in was a cold, rainy night so I just did it in a kettle I have on my back deck. Here's the pictures.

I like to cut a hinge between the meat and bones, season and retie the roast.

DSC_4947 (Large).JPG

DSC_4951 (Large).JPG

DSC_4954 (Large).JPG

After getting settled on the kettle, the temp spiked to around 421. Adjusted the vents until it was holding around 325-330.

DSC_4960 (Large).JPG

Total cook time was just under two hours. This was right around the 1 hour mark. Added a few briquettes to each side and let it roll.

DSC_4962 (Large).JPG

DSC_4965 (Large).JPG

Got the potatoes going on the JJ for an hour.

DSC_4969 (Large).JPG

Just finishing up here. Roast has been on just under 2 hours. Roast was probing right around 120.

DSC_4971 (Large).JPG

DSC_4974 (Large).JPG

In house and tented with foil for a few minutes, then foiled and place in cooler until time to slice.

DSC_4977 (Large).JPG

Finished slicing off the bones. These will make nice lunches for a couple of days.

DSC_4980 (Large).JPG

DSC_4983 (Large).JPG

DSC_4986 (Large).JPG

Plated it up. My wife made the seasoned zucchini slices to round things off.

DSC_4989 (Large).JPG

This turned out to be absolutely delicious. The meat was tender and flavorful and overall made for a great Christmas dinner. Have a good remainder of the weekend and thank you all for looking.

That turned out just beautifully, Cliff! Glad you got 'er done!

oh lala..! that looks perfect.... I'm interested in that knife.... what is that?
Careful, Peter, Cliff can be as good at spending other people's money as I am.....I'm pretty sure that's his Yoshihiro Gyuto chef's knife. I have one as well, which I acquired after hearing how much Cliff likes his. :)

R

That turned out just beautifully, Cliff! Glad you got 'er done!

Careful, Peter, Cliff can be as good at spending other people's money as I am.....I'm pretty sure that's his Yoshihiro Gyuto chef's knife. I have one as well, which I acquired after hearing how much Cliff likes his. :)

I love spending money, I’m in the market for a good chefs knife.

Cliff you did it again . That is one outstanding dinner and the sammie is spot on. Great job my friend.

Back