Christmas Eve Smorgasbord

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Our traditional meal on Christmas Eve is a Smorgasbord. My wife usually takes care of this but this year we got a little ambitious and she asked if I'd help with a few things. Some of the items I made were done in advance and frozen. My breads were either the day before of on Christmas Eve day. Our menu included fresh crab with cocktail sauce, a Sandwich Loaf, Beef and Caramelized Onion Knishes, macaroni salad, CSR's on a stick, deviled eggs and a Rum Cake done on my 18" WSM. Here's a few pictures of some of it.

The breads, both done in the oven. My wife used the plain white bread with the sandwich loaf and the baguettes were sliced and used with her crab fondue.

enhance

enhance

Cubed up some CSR's, seasoned them and got them on the WSM.

enhance

enhance

Finally, sauced and caramelized over some high heat for a few minutes. Everyone ate these right off the sticks.

enhance

Smoked a chuck roast a couple of weeks earlier that I used in the filling for the Knishes.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Finished them up. Besides a quarter cup of the beef, the filling consisted of mashed Yukon Gold potatoes, caramelized leeks, cream cheese and salt,pepper and butter. I froze these until a few hours before our meal.

enhance

Half hour of so with some indirect heat. Glazed the tops with sesame and poppy seeds.

enhance

Lastly my contribution to the desserts. Rum Cake on the 18" WSM. About an hour with a steady 325.

enhance

Glazed and let cool. There is a half cup of rum (Bacardi's Spiced) in the cake mix and in the glaze. Delicious.

enhance

Plated it up. That is my wife's sandwich loaf on the left side of my plate. A loaf of plain white bread sliced horizontally into three sections. The filling between layers is a delicious cheese mixture around asparagus spears and stuffed green olives.

enhance

Well, that was our Christmas Eve. Hope you all have a Happy New Year. Thanks for looking!

WOW!!! That's about all I can say Cliff. You and your wife did an outstanding job and everything looks soooo delicious.
A Happy New Year to you and family.

You just outdid yourself. Beautiful cook(s) and the food looks incredible. Would love some of that rum cake.

Had to Google knish. Mmmmm....

Back