Chili Rellenos

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Ventured forth today with a new way of Rellenos for me, it came out real good.
So Poblanos, T sliced and cleaned out, then on the burners being roasted, ripe Plantains baked at 350 for 15 minutes

DSC_0569_zps743813aa.jpg

DSC_0570_zps727e1a54.jpg

Lots of roasting going on today, the house smells incredible

DSC_0571_zps39390f41.jpg

Made a tomato salsa for the dish, fire roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, roasted Serrano chili, roasted tomatillo's, cumin. S&P

DSC_0573_zpsdf163493.jpg

Preparing the stuffing, tomatoes, the diced up plantains, onion, crimini mushroom, diced garlic

DSC_0576_zpsc5ede297.jpg

DSC_0578_zpsd5398a72.jpg

Chili's stuffed, two with some fresh Mexican Chorizo and the rest sans meat for the CEO . The stuffing, some fabulous cheese called Requeson which is like a delicious firmer ricotta and a mix of shredded Monterey Jack Cheddar and Pepper jack

DSC_0579_zps54efe6eb.jpg

Seperated yolks and whites form four eggs, beat the whites with a little salt added until light and fluffy, then added wisked yolk until roughly blended

DSC_0581_zps1af8d84b.jpg

Tonights lube

DSC_0584_zpse46a2b08.jpg

Dropped a ball of the egg batter on the CI which had some canola oil in it and pressed the Chili's down into it and then spread more on top and sides

DSC_0585_zpsc4a62a2d.jpg

Took them off the CI and put on a rack and back into the Genesis to bake to crusty

DSC_0588_zpsdffe80d9.jpg

Done and heading in

DSC_0587_zps1d2b0d66.jpg

DSC_0588_zpsdffe80d9.jpg

TV dinner this evening

DSC_0589_zps3c025a1e.jpg

Your plate, the best I have made

DSC_0590_zpscc3c04cd.jpg

WOW......all I can say is WOW......and I would like some please!!! :D

Beautifully done Bill! As an aside, how was the beer?!?

Fantastic looking dish, Bill. I've done Rellenos before, but nothing like this. They look delicious. A ton of prep work. Did you have fun getting those peppers skinned after roasting them?

I find it easy after I learned a trick, as they come off the fire put them directly into a covered bowl and let them steam in their own heat for about twenty minutes. then all you need is a butter knife and it peels right off

Last edited:
Oh Bill, I bet that your house did smell delicious today with all that roasting going on. Chili Rellenos look delicious too. Have had them but, never that way. You always got something guud going on.

I find it easy after I learned a trick, as they come off the fire put them directly into a covered bowl and let them steam in their own heat for about twenty minutes. then all you need is a butter knife and it peels right off

I use that trick too. Also have tried the paper bag, closed tightly shut for about 20 minutes. I usually get about 60 - 65 per cent off and either struggle with the rest or call it good. If you cook them too long the peppers lose their structure and are harder to stuff. Pull them too soon and it's like pulling those bar code stickers off an item from Home Depot!! Again, great job.

great looking stuff as usual! After roasting, we typically transfer the chili's into a paper bag and fold the top over a let sit for about 10-15 minutes - this does the steam job and makes peeling a snap! (As you found out)

Bill looks awesome, I'll take a plate Bud! I have a few Founder's laying around. Did you enjoy the Brew?

Back