Chicken with White Sauce

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

Following my theme from last week, I decided to stay outside my wheelhouse while continuing to develop paleo friendly BBQ recipes. I have been traveling a lot lately. When I travel I like to try different foods from the area I am visiting. A few weeks back found me heading to Tennessee to help my son move to South Carolina. I was passing through north Alabama around lunch time and saw a BBQ place advertised on a billboard. I decided to give them a try. Anyway they had a selection of sauces including sweet, spicy, and white. Wait what? Did she say white? Indeed she did - and I tried it on chicken. My research indicates white sauce is a regional favorite in northern Alabama and southern Tennessee. It is mayo based and usually uses either vinegar or lemon juice to punch it up. Anyway the below pictures recount my first cut at cooking with it.

Prepping the White Sauce (Mayo, Brown Mustard, White Wine Vinegar, Black Pepper, Garlic, Water, KS, Horseradish, and Splenda)

Prepping Marinade for Zuchinni (EVOO, Lemon Juice, Garlic, KS, and Fresh Basil)

Prepping Garlic Stuffed Onion (Sweet Onion, Garlic, EVOO, Lemon Pepper, and Garlic Salt)

Zukes Marinating

Dry Brining the Chicken (Legs & Thighs)

Bird on Direct then Moved Indirect - Grill Pretty Hot

Saucing the Bird while the Zukes Grill Direct

Resting

Your Plate

Well this was a mixed bag. Some of the family really liked it. Others did not (go figure). I was afraid this would be the case so I made some with Five Sauce just in case. The sauce was not an exact copy of the sauce I tried in Alabama. Mine was thicker and not as tangy. Next time around I will add more vinegar (or maybe try the lemon juice instead). It also lacked salt IMO but my family did not agree with this. If any of you gurus has any advice on white sauce, I would love to hear it.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

John

Nice looking dinner!

I've never tried the white sauce but I remember a heated exchange where someone refused to give up their recipe a few years ago :)

I know Big Bob Gibson is usually mentioned, might even be another white sauce recipe in the sauces section

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?24000-Alabama-White-BBQ-Sauce&p=75948&viewfull=1#post75948

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/big_bob_gibsons_white_sauce.html

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?28705-Big-Bob-Gibson-White-Sauce&p=91031&viewfull=1#post91031

Last edited:
The cook(s) look fantastic. I don't know anything about your white sauce, but I did discover with my sauces that they get better over time. I now let my sauces rest a week before using and the difference is huge. I'd be curious your thoughts on yours in a day or so from now

The cook(s) look fantastic. I don't know anything about your white sauce, but I did discover with my sauces that they get better over time. I now let my sauces rest a week before using and the difference is huge. I'd be curious your thoughts on yours in a day or so from now

I agree - the ranch & blue cheese dressings (both with plenty of mayo) I like to make are much different after only 20 minutes & even better after overnight. I'm wondering if sour cream could be subb'd in place of a portion of the mayo (much lower fat & cal, I do it in my above mentioned dressings).

I agree - the ranch & blue cheese dressings (both with plenty of mayo) I like to make are much different after only 20 minutes & even better after overnight. I'm wondering if sour cream could be subb'd in place of a portion of the mayo (much lower fat & cal, I do it in my above mentioned dressings).

Try substituting plain Greek yogurt for some of the mayo. I have started using this when I make chicken salad and it works wonders.

Great looking cook John. I'm going to have to try your garlic stuffed onion, very creative.

I'd do some more tweaking/ searching on white sauce recipes. Mine uses horseradish as the main heat generator. Everybody loves it!

Great cook John, chicken and sides look awesome. Not sure about using white sauce but I do like the garlic and onion combo. Will be trying that one for sure.

Don't know much about white sauces I have only tried a few. We used your teriyaki marinade last night for the first time on a pork steak and some Brussels sprouts and it was off the charts. I'm sure you will dial the white sauce in also. The rest of your cooking adventure looks really good, like the marinated zuke's have to give those a try.

I read about chicken with white sauce in the book Peace Love and Barbecue and have always wanted to try it. But my family is kinda picky so I haven't yet. Your chicken looks really good though so I may have to surprise them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - you have given me some great ideas. I will be trying this again in the future using some of your suggestions...

Regards,

John

John. Nice looking white sauce. Looks very tasty.

In the UK it is very common to eat chicken / turkey with a white sauce. But it's a bread sauce.
It really is very tasty, speshly if it's got lots of fresh black pepper on it. Works great with yardbird.

I tried several white BBQ sauce recipes before finding Malcom Reed's version. I love it, and it usually draws rave reviews from friends. I usually cut this recipe by 4 to make enough for a family dinner or in half if entertaining several more.

2 cups mayo
½ cup cider vinegar
1 TB black pepper
1TB granulated garlic
1 TB sugar
1 heaping ts horseradish
1 ts salt
½ ts cayenne
Juice of 2 lemons
Whisk in a large bowl & store for a few hours.

Back