Chicken Tikka on the Performer

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been wanting to do this cook for a while. It is Chicken Tikka done on the Weber grill. Saw this over at Ballistic BBQ and it really sounded good. We enjoy Pakistani/Indian cuisine and this chicken is fabulous. The Tikka is served with a Mint, Coriander and Pepper paste. I sided it up with Jasmine Rice and finally Raita, an Indian dish with Plain Yogurt and chopped English Cucumber, and a few other spices. Nice and cool if you get the heat level a little high. Here are some pictures of the cook.

These are the ingredients for the chicken marinade. That is plain yogurt in the bowl. That's red food coloring peeking up behind the bowl.

Four leg quarters, sliced for deeper absorption of the marinade.

Mixed marinade and put in a 2 gallon zip lock bag for about 9 hours.

Here are the ingredients for the mint, coriander pepper paste. Mint and Coriander (Cilantro) are in the FP. The peppers are small but they pack a punch.

The paste.

Moved over to the Raita. Here's the ingredients for that.

Raita

Got the chicken skewered.

On the Performer, indirect to start. Using Royal Oak Lump.

Kept a close eye on the chicken, flipping several times to prevent burning.

Continued...

Last edited:

Give them a little glaze.

Plated with the Jasmine Rice.

At this point, I cut the chicken into chunks.

Placed the chicken pieces on a piece of warm Garlic Naan, top with the mint, coriander, pepper paste, few thin slices of onion and drizzle some lemon juice on top.

Repeat until you are full!!

This was an absolutely delicious meal. Wonderful flavors and just the right amount of heat. Will definitely be doing it again. Thanks for looking and I hope you all have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Amazing Cliff, looks great wonderful color. Not much into Indian cuisine but I'd give that a try.

I've been eating a lot of Indian cuisine lately and have even planned to make a couple of dishes but didn't. Looks good.

Cliff, that is one interesting plate of food. I'm not much for Indian cuisine but looking at that I'd sure give it a try, awesome cook.
Great job again my friend.

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments!

Looks absolutely delicious, Cliff! Is that similar to Tandoori?

Jim... I'm by no means an expert but I would say yes, they are extremely similar. Tandoori is cooked whole, on a spit and Tikka is usually cooked with boneless chicken. This recipe I guess deviated from that, but in the end the chicken was cut into chunks and served in a traditional manner. I believe the flavor profile is slightly different with Tandoori strongly based on lemon and chili and Tikka being based yogurt and coriander.

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments!

Jim... I'm by no means an expert but I would say yes, they are extremely similar. Tandoori is cooked whole, on a spit and Tikka is usually cooked with boneless chicken. This recipe I guess deviated from that, but in the end the chicken was cut into chunks and served in a traditional manner. I believe the flavor profile is slightly different with Tandoori strongly based on lemon and chili and Tikka being based yogurt and coriander.

Thanks Cliff!!

Cliff, this look outstanding, and I'd love to try it (the natives here are getting a bit restless with some of the repeating chicken recipes!!) :)

Did I miss a link to the recipe? Could you share?

Thanks!

Rich

Back