Chicken thigh shawarma with ‘gus

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Well, that brisket is all done. Got one day off from cooking. So here goes 12 shawarma thighs, asparagus and some chicken rice.

Wine will flow too as this has been a crazy week already (last week never really ended).

1655260632981.jpeg

Last edited:
Neat trick for bribing chicken.

Salted the thighs generously, then added some water to barely top the chicken and then added ACV to the wet mixture. Countertop marinated for 30 minutes and the chicken took on all the flavor. Then poured out the water brine and added cooking oil and shawarma powder mix (Sadaf brand). Tossed and mixed and then set atop a hot grate. Love this method. Great flavor and super easy work.

Another great cook Brett! I’ve had this Chicken Shawarma recipe bookmarked for a while now. I need to try it soon.
This one came out great. I cooked it with coals in lower grate in the E6, direct heat with the bottom vent at 60% open. 10 mins a side then 5 mins a side on high heat to set a crust. Juicy with lots of flavor. Go for it!

Some nice BBQ Brett. 8 y/o Zin, I'm envious
Thanks. You know this wine. And Total Wine always stocks it. Incredible value priced wine. And I love serving it because it’s a screw top and that messes with peoples head, that a screw top wine can taste so dang good.

Pretty sure it's illegal to bribe chicken in California! :)

Good looking chick, Brett! My favorite kind of simple summer plate, and some leftovers to boot! 👍🏼
I knew that 8 hour edit cap would haunt me. That QWERTY has n and b next to each other. I’m sure my posts will get funnier with more alcohol this summer, and that 8 hour edit cap.

I’ll be clicking (see, it’s really slicing) up some leftovers for lunch. Simple is better at times. For sure.

And do try that quick brine method. The vinegar in water loosens up the protein so that the salt water can enter the protein. A lot of flavor in a very short amount of time

Last edited:
Very nice cook and I like your choice of wine. They just opened a Total Wine in town here, so much wine and so little time They have an awesome collection and super good prices.

Nice job here! I gotta try this next as my family loves chicken shawarma!
this was a very easy cook and you can easily slice these up into pita or burritos and add all the fixings you'd like in a wrap. the chicken was 100% spot on, and all without having to use a spit or skewers. nice crisp outside with tender and juicy meat. and after you slice the chicken, you could CI sear it off for a little more crisp if you like it that way.

you can make your own shawarma seasoning or buy premade (Sadaf brand is available on Amazon, if you so like).

Last edited:
Very nice cook and I like your choice of wine. They just opened a Total Wine in town here, so much wine and so little time They have an awesome collection and super good prices.
one of the best places to shop and buy drinks. they have a great selection and very fair pricing. we're huge fans (of California and Oregon wines).

note, i used to buy this for $12.99 a bottle. dang pricing has really gone up.

I'm am not convinced about this work thing you keep talking about.
You get more time to cook than I get to sleep......
Looks good btw......keep the posts coming.
I leave this weekend for my fishing trip....in the middle of nowhere so I have to plan on bringing a weeks worth of foods...
To make this good and have great meals for a week it is harder to do than you think.
Also 2 coolers worth of food for travel and you just have to catch Pickerel....( Walleye for you guys ) or I go hungry I guess......
Jumbo Joe is coming with me again like last year, I was able to post pictures daily and hope to make another impressive thread on cooking only on the JJ in the middle of nowhere for a week.

I'm am not convinced about this work thing you keep talking about.
You get more time to cook than I get to sleep......
Looks good btw......keep the posts coming.
I leave this weekend for my fishing trip....in the middle of nowhere so I have to plan on bringing a weeks worth of foods...
To make this good and have great meals for a week it is harder to do than you think.
Also 2 coolers worth of food for travel and you just have to catch Pickerel....( Walleye for you guys ) or I go hungry I guess......
Jumbo Joe is coming with me again like last year, I was able to post pictures daily and hope to make another impressive thread on cooking only on the JJ in the middle of nowhere for a week.
Self employed. I choose which Saturday and Sunday I get to work.

Cooking is less expensive than a shrink. Plus I get a meal or two out of it. It’s a means to an end.

I want to go fishing. In Cabo. Will you take me there?

I plan all my cooks so there’s leftovers. Feeding minimum 4 people at home, daily. Must keep the menu moving and changing or the inmates get restless and complain.

I don’t know how to camp or visit a cabin. I do, however, know how to book cruises and flights. Off to AK soon for much overdue R&R, and someone else cooking and feeding me for 10 days 😁👏😭🍻

I also don’t sleep well. My mind doesn’t shut off. It’s bad. Real bad.

I love your cabin cooks. Looking forward to them. Your wife must really like you to spend a week together in isolation/desolation. I’m unsure if I’d come out alive with my wife. So I always wear Apple Tags just in case.

Self employed. I choose which Saturday and Sunday I get to work.

Cooking is less expensive than a shrink. Plus I get a meal or two out of it. It’s a means to an end.

I want to go fishing. In Cabo. Will you take me there?

I plan all my cooks so there’s leftovers. Feeding minimum 4 people at home, daily. Must keep the menu moving and changing or the inmates get restless and complain.

I don’t know how to camp or visit a cabin. I do, however, know how to book cruises and flights. Off to AK soon for much overdue R&R, and someone else cooking and feeding me for 10 days 😁👏😭🍻

I also don’t sleep well. My mind doesn’t shut off. It’s bad. Real bad.

I love your cabin cooks. Looking forward to them. Your wife must really like you to spend a week together in isolation/desolation. I’m unsure if I’d come out alive with my wife. So I always wear Apple Tags just in case.

Funny stuff, and yes the MRS will be joining me for the week up in the woods. She doesn't always go, but she said to me when the ground was still white that I should be taking her on a fishing trip on our first holidays of the year. It was our lack off getting out fishing last year I think is why she was ready to go. I do enjoy the fact that she likes to get out in the wilderness and catch fish and just be alone out there. Its quiet, its relaxing....it also is a fair bit of work but nothing crazy. By her enjoying the wilderness and fishing I mean to say me...taking the fish off the hook for her and changing lures and hooks and stuff.......all at the same time as navigating the boat, making sure we don't run into anything, taking care of my lures and fish, finding the holes where the fish are.....ect ect....oh and doing a lot of great cooks too........I am very busy in the boat lol......more relax would be a highlight.
As far as the cabin cooks, so far I have committed to taking burgers, sausages, chicken quarters, smoked chops and either picanha or tri tip.
Still have to bring a few more things, 1 extra meal is key just in case the fish don't want me to catch and eat them.
They are currently calling for lots of rain which really puts a damper on things but we usually have really good luck with that not happening.
As far as the week together........we bring a lot of alcohol.....:LOL: 🍻

Lots of bugs🦟

Back