Chicken and Dumplings

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Start to end.

My Sous chef requested chicken and dumplings a bit ago and we finally made that happen this weekend. One could cut up a bird and boil it up but I like the flavor you get when you grill, rotisserie or smoke the bird.

So yesterday I grilled the bird. I spatched it. Pulled the skin back so I could season the meat and then put the skin back in place. I wanted to see how the Weber Q1200 would do. So I grilled it on there. I have to say it does a damn good job.

While I was grilling the bird I started the stock. I used the backbone o cut out and the neck that came with the bird along with a quarters onion, half a dozen carrots, 4 celery stocks, 10 cloves of garlic, handful of pepper corns, 4 bay leaves, salt and 10-12 cups of water.

When the bird was done I cut the meat off the bones and added all the bones and skin, to my stock. Checked for saltiness, added more salt and topped off the pot with more water .I let that simmer for several more hours .

Chopped the meat and put it in the fridge .

When the stock was done I strained it and put the liquid fold into the fridge .

Round two started today.

To the stock I added a half of a sliced Walla Walla sweet onion, theee rainbow carrots sliced, three stalks of sliced celery, and the chopped chicken. Let this simmer for 5 hours.

Mixed up the dumplings. Simple drop biscuit recipe that I like .2 cups flour, 1/2 cup butter (grated cold) 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix well, season. I used garlic powder, onion powder, sage, Italian seasoning, Hungarian sweet paprika, black pepper and white pepper. Slowly add 1 1/4 cup milk mixing as you go. Put in fridge to rest at least 30 minutes.

When you are ready to add dumpling mixture turn heat up and bring soup to rolling boil. Using a large spoon spoon in mixture. Cover and reduce heat. Boil covered for 8-10 minutes. Remove cover and boil for another 5 minutes. Using spoon separate dumplings.

Serve and enjoy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZG4CfrmVSwE

5045350A-9103-4903-9A00-ECE64909AF2E.jpeg

9C380F55-1E41-4878-9389-B6A6888DAF32.jpeg
5422CD27-21AF-4C9F-901E-B8987B708878.jpeg

7E8502B8-F8B4-4925-A3A7-D6E5877BC8E8.jpeg

C392D0AF-2FCA-42A8-83B8-3234767864A4.jpeg

D460B1CD-CF16-4CD9-A4F9-045539FFA7CF.jpeg

CF48F69B-5542-48AE-B78E-32D71D06431F.jpeg

Perfect!
Can you get away with less time the second cook after straining? Seems the chicken would boil out a bit, and the veggies would go a little long. I say perfect cause i do it the same way you did.

Looks great Case very nice work, Not many people will go to that much effort anymore which is sad.

Definition of comfort food or food as medicine right there, Case! Nothing beats soup made with homemade stock, that stuff is liquid gold! I enjoyed your technique of adding in the bones from the grilled chicken......I was trying to figure out how you made a flavorful stock with just the back/neck! :) Thanks for sharing!

R

Perfect!
Can you get away with less time the second cook after straining? Seems the chicken would boil out a bit, and the veggies would go a little long. I say perfect cause i do it the same way you did.
Yes you can adjust the time for the final cook. I had nothing better to do so I added my veggies and the chicken meat into the stock and let it slow simmer for 5 hours. Then I brought to a rolling boil right before adding the dumpling mixture. I could've simmered for less time but I had other things to do.

Definition of comfort food or food as medicine right there, Case! Nothing beats soup made with homemade stock, that stuff is liquid gold! I enjoyed your technique of adding in the bones from the grilled chicken......I was trying to figure out how you made a flavorful stock with just the back/neck! :) Thanks for sharing!

R
Thanks Rich!

Back when I was a poor starving college student I'd buy a Costco Rotisserie chicken and some root veggies all for under $10. I'd pick the meat off the bird and do the same thing. Boil the carcass down. Then strain add meat and veggies in and simmer until the veggies were done.

Wonderful! I too like to just let it simmer very low for a long time. Despite the more hurried members in the house. Sometimes i even use the whole chicken and chicken broth. Makes a very good, thick soup.

Man I love a good hearty soup that you can sink your teeth into,and this has that covered the broth looks so rich.
Well done alot of work but we'll worth it.

Back