Chef's Table: BBQ on Netflix, Coming 9/2/20

I really wanna do some pork steak that way.
Yes, it's on my list, too. I know Harry Soo is doing an homage to Snow's BBQ right now on his YouTube channel that includes pork steak; I'm going to try it using Daniel Vaughn's Texas Monthly article on the subject.

I finished all 4 episodes today. Wow. What a beautiful series. All 4 episodes were just amazing and certainly hit me more than I thought they would.

Grilling, especially over charcoal fire has been a part of my entire life. Some of my first memories are my Dad grilling steaks and BBQ chicken on a hibachi over charcoal.

Screenshot_20200906-210513.png

My early adult years were my propane grill years, until my mid 30s when I began smoking meats and found my way back to charcoal via my first Weber Kettle. It was an instant reminder that there is something mystical to me about cooking over burning coals and/or wood. It definitely reignited (sorry for the pun) in me a love and a passion for grilling and smoking.

This series truly exemplified that feeling for me. Tootsie talks about how it's what kept her life going and meaningful after her husband and son passed. Lennox is an absolute disciple of fire and reveres it like few others. Rodney talks about how his affair with BBQ has changed his entire life and path. And, the Mayan lady's story might have been the most meaningful talking about how the food and how it's cooked is one of last remaining connections to her heritage and way of life.

This series really touched me and all the stories were amazing. And, they also helped me realize that my love of this cooking over fire stuff may be more ingrained into my DNA than I ever really considered.

Your results may vary, but clearly I enjoyed it very much. Lol

Last edited:
Watched all 4 episodes on Sunday. All of the episodes are well worth taking the time to watch. Each story has a way of connecting with an individual on one level or another.

Lennox is an absolute disciple of fire and reveres it like few others.
That's the one thing I appreciated from his slot in that episode.
The man is taking cooking over fire into an art form. I couldn't believe how many times he was using his bare hands over hot fire,

Did anyone notice that in the Lennox episode, he's using custom made stainless steel mesh grilling baskets, while Rosalia was using an electric fan blade cover as a grilling basket? You've heard the phrase, "It's not the pit, it's the pitmaster?" Well, "It's not the grill basket, it's the grill master!"

IMG_0921[1].JPG

IMG_0922[1].JPG

IMG_0920[1].JPG

I did not catch that. They would think some of us are insane for the gadgets and apparatus we pursue.

They would think some of us are insane for the gadgets and apparatus we pursue.
Rosalia said herself in her episode that she was floored by the range of equipment and utensils she saw in Redzepi's restaurant. For her, she uses what she has...if an electric fan blade cover gets the job done, so be it.

My attention span must be getting short in my old age.
I'm part way through the Lennox episode, and have also started watching Ugly Delicious and Salt Fat Acid Heat.
All 3 are enjoyable even though they make me hungry.

After watching the Rodney Scott episode, I really want to try some of that whole hog. 🐖
Have done a few whole hogs in my day. everyone was cooked differently... 1 at Dillon beach, 1 in a cinderblock homemade pit, 1 in a Chargriller outlaw.... all were a blast. come to think of it, may be time to do another. BTW, biggest was 120 lbs. took 24 hours.

Have done a few whole hogs in my day. everyone was cooked differently... 1 at Dillon beach, 1 in a cinderblock homemade pit, 1 in a Chargriller outlaw.... all were a blast. come to think of it, may be time to do another. BTW, biggest was 120 lbs. took 24 hours.

Me and a few of my buddies have done 3 full hogs. We have a big 4th party every year and for 2017, 2018, and 2019 we did a hog. Each one was 40-50ish pounds. We inherited a makeshift frankenstein pit cover made from parts of different smokers and grills. We built a cinder block base with some deliberate air flow openings and one opening for adding coals with a shovel.

IMG_20190704_155716255.jpg

IMG_20190704_155630625.jpg

Each time we brined the hog for at least 2 days, or more, prior in an ice water brine.

IMG_20170703_173744345.jpg

IMG_20170703_173733938.jpg

We made our own rub and got it all over those bad boys, and planned on a slow smoke type cook, but didn't anticipate how quickly they would cook. Each one went for about 5 hours before we pulled them from the pit.

IMG_20180704_102202995.jpg

IMG_20190704_155612206.jpg

IMG_20180704_090251363.jpg

IMG_20170704_140226224.jpg

Every year it ended with us all standing around the hog table just pulling meat from all over the hog and devouring it. It was some of the juiciest, most flavorful pork I've ever eaten. Way more of a forgiving cook than I expected. The hams were absolutely amazing. Oh and the cheek meat almost caused some fights. Lol

Oh, and a bonus pic of our typical pyrotechnics for the holiday.

IMG_20170704_145419507.jpg

Oh, and 'Murica!

FB_IMG_1593926736936.jpg

Disclaimer: that is not me. Lol. My buddy goes all out.

My attention span must be getting short in my old age.
I'm part way through the Lennox episode, and have also started watching Ugly Delicious and Salt Fat Acid Heat.
All 3 are enjoyable even though they make me hungry.

Just enjoyed episode 1 of Salt Fat Acid Heat. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

Yes, it's on my list, too. I know Harry Soo is doing an homage to Snow's BBQ right now on his YouTube channel that includes pork steak; I'm going to try it using Daniel Vaughn's Texas Monthly article on the subject.
I just tried the recipe and technique as described in Vaughn's article. 1 1/4" thick pork steaks with 60/40 salt/pepper. about half a mini-chimney of Weber briqs lit and poured over a ring full of lump mixed with some leftover briquettes and a couple chunks of pecan and cherry. 18" WSM with no water pan. used my DigiQ to keep temp around 260-270 ish. Where Vaughn says Tootsie takes 4-5 hours, this took less than 2 hours to hit 145* internal. Granted, Snows' pits are 30 inches between coals and grate, and a stock WSM is only about 16", and the recipe calls for 2 inch thick steaks. I used the mop recipe (divided by 4 - I didn't need a gallon of it). Seared at the end. We were quite happy with the dinner - I have been asked to put this in the rotation...

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg