Charcoal Sales?

No good sales here. At least not like the sales we used to see. I did see some Jealous Devil XL Lump at HD 20lb bag for $24.99.

Anyone seeing any July 4th sales? I am disappointed. I need to stock up. I can recall just a few years ago buying 40lbs for $10 on the big summer 3 day weekends, everywhere like Home Depot, Wally World, etc.

I may just end up going to costco and buy some K-pro bags.

Now Kingsford expects me to pay $1.35 per pound for garlic flavored charcoal. To heck with that!!!

Last edited:
Does anything cost today what it did a few years ago I doubt it. The good thing about Costco is if you buy the K pro today and it goes on sale next month hold onto your receipt. Last week I bought Starbucks French Roast k cups paid 39 bucks love the stuff, my wife tells me keep the receipt it will go on sale soon and of course it did this week, 7 bucks off go in their today to buy some other stuff bring the receipt to customer service they look it up and give me a credit for the 7 bucks. Wife much smarter than me of course would not have had a clue you could do that. :)

Had to go to Home Depot and Lowes this afternoon (I hate working on plumbing) and HD had twins for 17.98, Lowes 21.98. Passed on both - shook my head at lowes.

I am not a coal burner, but I do see all the "sale" threads you guys generate. I don't think I have seen a really good deal on quality charcoal for two to three years. Seems before that, they would have some killer deals where guys would buy a pallet at a time. Now it seems you guys can only rate a couple bucks off a 20lb bag. It sucks, but we are all feeling it.

Kingsford is such nasty charcoal I can't believe people would go out of their way to buy it. The fumes when lighting it in a chimney will make you reek and have to shower. Much of it is gone by the time that the whole chimney is lit..... And what's left is tiny.

I too by b&b at academy... When they have it. Every place that carries it is kind of hit or miss. They might not have any when you go in there for months and then they have it once. Cowboy briquettes are good also

Kingsford is such nasty charcoal I can't believe people would go out of their way to buy it. The fumes when lighting it in a chimney will make you reek and have to shower. Much of it is gone by the time that the whole chimney is lit..... And what's left is tiny.
To each his own. Many big checks and trophies have been taken home using K Original. It was really a bargain back in the day at 27¢/lb. Not so much anymore.

To each his own. Many big checks and trophies have been taken home using K Original. It was really a bargain back in the day at 27¢/lb. Not so much anymore.
Once it's burning I guess it cooks ok .. but it certainly doesn't seem to last long. I don't think you
None are bargain . However I bought enough cheap crap to rather pay high price for quality, no matter what that price is.

Kingsford is such nasty charcoal...

Well, one can only buy what the stores sell in his area, right? There may be some great charcoal options that are regional sellers. Around here, it's tough to find anything but the following: K, Royal Oak, Cowboy lump, store branded crap. Given those choices, I would use mostly K.

Costco does sell K-comp, so I buy that, but it is pricier than what HD or Lowes used to sell regular K for ($.25/lb).

Back when I had kids living at home, I could go through 100lbs a month in the summer, easily, so I would stock up on Memorial day with 300lbs.

The price per pound aspect is interesting to me. for example:
Royal Oak Lump @MyLocalWalmart : 30 pounds for $20 or $0.66 per pound.
vs
FOGO Premium Lump @MyLocalGrocery : 17 pounds for $18 or $1.06 per pound
vs
Jealous Devil XL Chunks @MyLocalBBQ store : 20 pounds for 36.99 or $1.85 per pound

With charcoal, is it true that you get what you pay for? We’re all looking for that standout in performance and value, but the lack of consistency, even within one brand, that folks have mentioned here and elsewhere on the site, makes me wonder if its worth the fuss. Yet, I have my favorites as well.

The price per pound aspect is interesting to me. for example:
Royal Oak Lump @MyLocalWalmart : 30 pounds for $20 or $0.66 per pound.
vs
FOGO Premium Lump @MyLocalGrocery : 17 pounds for $18 or $1.06 per pound
vs
Jealous Devil XL Chunks @MyLocalBBQ store : 20 pounds for 36.99 or $1.85 per pound

With charcoal, is it true that you get what you pay for? We’re all looking for that standout in performance and value, but the lack of consistency, even within one brand, that folks have mentioned here and elsewhere on the site, makes me wonder if its worth the fuss. Yet, I have my favorites as well.
Well lump is lump imo. I mean it could depend on what kind of wood you made it out of conceivably.. and then there is the fact that a lot of lump has lumber odds and ends in it....... And of course even nails and rocks.

Most of the charcoal discussions center around briquettes because that's preferred for smoking. The weirdo sizes of lump don't fit into the coal basket evenly. Or a chimney. Yeah you can break them up but that's just work. You don't need the fast burning higher temperature of lump for smoking either, but that might work better for grilling. Honestly, I don't even like lump for grilling on my Weber kettle. It's so hot it will burn the doggone meat. It's just not needed. I view it all as a marketing thing. In my mind most people use lump for grilling now because they think it's purer....better. I think that's debatable. Doesn't seem so pure when you see what's obviously a piece of crown molding in your barbecue grill......

The latest Costco sale flier doesn't have K-Pro on sale, so we'll have to wait until the Labor Day/end of season sale..

Looks like the current KBB deal at HD ($17.88 for the 20lb twin pack) is the best one out there.

Not planning on getting any charcoal this weekend, so will wait until Costco has their end of season sale on K-Pro.

My local (Melbourne, FL) Costco still has the Kingsford Pro on sale but other than that nothing around here. I usually stick to the KBB but with this deal the pro is cheaper so I'm going that route until I can't get it anymore.

The Royal Oak 30 pound bag was so bad I had to return it. Almost all tiny pieces except about 5 at the top, yet most of it was undercharred. Some of it looked like wood-chip mulch. The couple pounds I tried smoked so bad I didnt use it to cook, and it had concrete chunks and rocks in it. This was not a matter of bag selection either. The whole pallet looked good and this was one near the top. I picked up some B&B oak lump, $12.99 for 20 pounds @ Acadamy, and it was good sized pieces, not much smoke at all, quick start, and mild oak scent. I also picked up a bag of Jealous Devil XL chunks; but havent tried that yet. The pieces are massive.

Last edited:
Had to go to Home Depot and Lowes this afternoon (I hate working on plumbing) and HD had twins for 17.98, Lowes 21.98. Passed on both - shook my head at lowes.
When I was rebuilding a toilet I went down the hill to my local(1/2 mile away) Ace, walked in went to the rebuild parts section and one of the three old guys that were “sitting by the wood stove whittling“ sings out…
”Plumbing… three trips.”
I laughed out loud when I went in for trip number two and told my wife to stop on her way home for trip number three and to boldly tell them they were right! The next time I went in they were all proud that I had admitted the third trip through my wife!
That story still makes me laugh!

Back