Charcoal sale

Wally World now has cowboy briquettes for $17.92 (40 lbs). that's 44.8 cents per lb. Best deal I've seen.
That's been the price at our local Walmart all year. Same price as they're getting for 2 x 16 lb. bags of Kingsford Original. I'll take the Cowboy any day of the week, especially at that price.

Never used it, strong points? Weaknesses?
The briquettes are good. Larger than KF, less smoke on initial lighting and they last long. I would rank them well ahead of most of what is out there at that price point but behind B&B.
I re-used them twice after my pizza cook the other night. Flavor is good and they combine well with any wood you add to them.
I hope they can keep their quality up.

Cowboy and b&b are both owned by duraflame. I like the cowboy because they're bigger. Smaller briquettes more surface area burn hotter which is ok for grilling for 15 minutes... Because by the time you get the chimney lit their half gone. The b&b is good but it's gone too quick grilling even.

The cowboy has been my replacement for Weber for a year.

I hate to be a party pooper but I only had bad experiences with Cowboy products. I found big rocks in their lump charcoal bags. Cooked with rocks. I never buy them again. After reading some other reviews, I was not the only one. Perhaps, I was unlucky. I never had rocks in Weber, Kingsford, and Fogo products.

I agree with you about the Cowboy lump, however, the briquettes are very good. I believe they are Stubb’s briquettes rebranded. I loved Weber’s and when they closed them out I bought 24 bags, I think the Cowboy is very similar to them.

Walmart near me had a few brands of Charcoal on clearance. I picked up a couple bags of Jealous Devil XL Lump for $14.00 (normally $23.97). Good deal. At that price, I thought I'd try it out since a lot of folks praise it here. Can't wait to fire it up.

Jealous Devil Lump clearance at Wlamart.jpg Blues Hog briquettes clearance and Walmart.jpg

Blues Hog briquettes were also on clearance for $6.50 a bag (normally $10.97).

At the beginning of the summer I tried Blues Hog's Lump for about $15 and was very disappointed. Too many small pieces that fell through the chimney and fire grate of my kettle. I think I literally had more embers under the fire grate than above it right after dumping the chimney. Maybe an unlucky bag. Hopefully, I have better luck with Jealous Devil Lump.

No sales up here ever as Grant noted.....it's crap to be honest.
I have also stocked up, no pic's handy......but....

420 lbs of jealous devil.
60 pounds of briquettes.
about 60 pounds of " other "
should be good.

Last edited:
Back in the day when we grilled almost every day, I always watched for sales on briquets. Then along came the fire restrictions in the summer and old age. Went through only 1 1/2 bags of Kingsford all summer. Still have about 400+ pounds of various bags of charcoal, should last me a long long time. :(

Share your findings with the MRS if needs be.....I would if she asked about the pellets.....;)

I am still sitting on over 1,200lbs. of coal, I get a little nervous if I get below a 1/2 ton!

I couldn't imagine trying to store 60 bags of coal.......
I was pushing my luck with 20 I have on hand now.....she always asks....do we really need more? ( I am ordering more before the snow hits )
It's an easy answer for me because if all else fails......I can cook on fire.

Last edited:
Share your findings with the MRS if needs be.....I would if she asked about the pellets.....;)

I couldn't imagine trying to store 60 bags of coal.......
I was pushing my luck with 20 I have on hand now.....she always asks....do we really need more? ( I am ordering more before the snow hits )
It's an easy answer for me because if all else fails......I can cook on fire.
I often reference coal to TP, you never want to run out.....

I've had over 300lbs of KBB, and now I'm down to my last bag. It's been a while since those Memorial Day/Independence Day sales where I. could get 40lbs for what, 9.99? I don't know what the sales are these days. Should I run down to Walmart today or wait until May?

Back