Championship Jerky

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Gonna try getting this on a WSM tomorrow...

4649024A-A76C-4ABB-A194-397B69EF5586.jpeg

200.gif

Always a winner, Jim! I had to cut the salt when doing an overnight soak, but that Ol' Surveyor knew a thing or three about jerky!

I've got no dog in any football fights this year, but out of the remaining QB's, Aaron is my favorite, so I'll side with the cheeseheads this weekend! :)

R

Nice! I love venison Jerky.
What type of charcoal and wood are you using?
hmmm.... not venison. ain't a hunter, gotta settle on beef. gonna try fogo lump with hickory
Always a winner, Jim! I had to cut the salt when doing an overnight soak, but that Ol' Surveyor knew a thing or three about jerky!

I've got no dog in any football fights this year, but out of the remaining QB's, Aaron is my favorite, so I'll side with the cheeseheads this weekend! :)

R
I Love You, Rich!!

Recipe sounds real good. Pulling for the Packers and Chiefs this weekend. Would make for a great Super Bowl.

Both Barb and I really like that jerky, best I've ever had. Like others have said I eliminated the salt all together and what's in the soy is enough for me. I also marinate it overnight. Made up a batch with London broil came out perfect.

Just a few things I can mention, I may be no help but I have made jerky probably 40 times or so.
That is quite similar to my jerky recipe.
Basically omit the salt as the soy takes care of all the salt you need.
I add more of worch. sauce and more of the spices than listed there.
I also add cola, you can use beer or water if you are not into cola at all. It gives it a sweet note and creates a lot of fluid to marinate in.
I also add chili flakes for heat, but you need way more than you would think to get any heat to come out.
Marinated in a freezer bag overnight, lots of flipping the bag and massaging it, you want all the beef to get a coating and sometimes the pieces will stick together and come out with no colour on them.
Turns out to be a sweet heat style of jerky.....fan favorite.
I also see the cooking temp is very low, like a real good temp for smoking salmon at all day.
I used to try and hold a 180 when doing my jerky and I can only smoke it about 2 hours and then it would start to overcook.
Now minor temp swings drastically changes the cooking process.....for example.......My traeger for whatever reason has a hard time now a days holding the 180.....when set at 180 it likes to cook at 220. I tried a few things to rectify this with no luck. This higher temp does a lot worse of a job when it is that hot.....the edges turn to a cooked colour mighty quick, it's not what I was looking for. Long story short, a 150 to 160 sounds ideal, you could get maybe 4 hours of nice smoke/dehydration. I only say this because you said you were going to use the WSM...I don't know how low you can go. If you can't hold a perfect steady 180 to 200 it might not turn out the way you want. Can't wait to see and good luck!

Just a few things I can mention, I may be no help but I have made jerky probably 40 times or so.

I also see the cooking temp is very low, like a real good temp for smoking salmon at all day.
I used to try and hold a 180 when doing my jerky and I can only smoke it about 2 hours and then it would start to overcook.
Now minor temp swings drastically changes the cooking process.....for example.......My traeger for whatever reason has a hard time now a days holding the 180.....when set at 180 it likes to cook at 220.
who is "traeger"?

stop worrying swazy, i've done this operation before many times, only lost one patient. And that was no fault of mine.

however, I have lost some patience...

who is "traeger"?

stop worrying swazy, i've done this operation before many times, only lost one patient. And that was no fault of mine.

however, I have lost some patience...
Hey it's no problem, just spewing out everything I have learned from making jerky. The final results I produce are pretty good, guys at work tell me they want to buy X amount of pounds of it, years of saying no doesn't sink in until I tell them how much it will cost them...LOL

Come on Jim you know who Traeger was.... Roy Rogers horse of course. :giggle:
of course! foolish me. Thanks Rich!!
Hey it's no problem, just spewing out everything I have learned from making jerky. The final results I produce are pretty good, guys at work tell me they want to buy X amount of pounds of it, years of saying no doesn't sink in until I tell them how much it will cost them...LOL
yeah everyone that's made jerky makes great jerky.
'cept the guy who tried it using racoon or skunk or duck or whatever the hell it was.

Yep, KISS for jerky, and many other grilled/smoked items is the way I roll.

Go Pack!
Don't hurt him too bad, but please put Brady out to pasture.

Back