Caveman T-bone steak: first & last try!

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
I set my grill for my first try doing caveman style steak.

This is the try.

IMG_1936 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1946 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8157 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8158 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8162 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8169 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8173 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8183 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_8184 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2002 di BBQness, su Flickr

Finally I must say I was not enthusiast! I know I went a little over but the outstanding flavor I was looking for there was not, imo.
Maybe I did something wrong. Let me know if I did.
Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

The steak looks gorgeous, Enrico. I've seen and heard of this technique. I've always been a little hesitant as I was afraid it might be a little gritty.

Well they were cooked to perfect temp on the inside. That looks like a thick steak to do that with. I've only done it with skirt steak and only a couple of times. I only cooked it for 35 seconds a side. I only used salt and pepper and I thought it tasted amazing. That much char will make it pretty bitter. I just think you over did it a little. I'd devour that anyway though!

Great effort Enrico! I've done that with a fattier cut of beef (flap and skirt) which are also much thinner. Still the Bistecca alla Fiorentina is just such a beautiful cut of beef.... just delicious!

Enrico looks good, does not look like you seasoned them, I do them all the time and love the flavor. Next time when you are letting them sit out for half an hour to come to room temp salt them heavy with Kosher and let the proteins come to the surface. Makes a beautiful carmelization sp' and adds a lot of flavor.

I think what Enrico is saying is that the Emperor has no clothes. We as a species advanced beyond throwing our meat straight in the fire several thousand years ago.

Do you normally like T bones? I don't find them that tasty to begin with.
Mark

Totally agree!!

Ive tried this method a couple of times myself. I can't really say I'm a fan of it but it is kind of fun to cook a steak like this once in a while.

Looks fine to me Enrico.
I've made them a few times, and for me it was key to level the lump, fan off the loose ashes, and not cook long.

Some are saying they don't like T-bones? :confused:

Late US president Dwight Eisenhower was said to like his steaks dirty, or cooked direct on the coals.
He's using a grill in this pic:
ike-moaney-w-ike-grilling-lg-dwight-eisenhower-john-moaney-barbeque-1-resized-600.png

Well , I have no guidance for you Enrico. I will just say the Tbone looks amazing. I would be thrilled to sit down to a perfectly cooked hunk of beef like that.

I got some choice porterhouse steaks at 5.99 a pound was really tempted to try this.. Well till I saw this post lol

Back