Cast iron pizza

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Guru
Thought I'd drop down a couple shots. Actually did this one on the gasser, but I usually use the Performer for pizzas. Pretty simple...made the dough using a recipe from SeriousEats. Toppings were basil, roasted red peppers, sausage, black olive. Usually add shrooms, but my wife and my picky 8 year old can't stand them. Laid down a base of provolone before topping and saucing20200607_221045.jpg20200607_231016.jpg20200607_225720.jpg. Not bad!

Hi Bruno,
About an hour before I start the grill, I lube the pan with olive oil and place the dough in the pan. Flip it so it gets OO on each side and leave it. When the hour is up, or when the dough has (mostly) filled the pan, flip it a few more times and knock out any air bubbles that might have popped up. Then a layer of cheese, 1/3 of the sauce, and whatever toppings you like. Then mozzarella and the remainder of the sauce. My Genny gets to about 500 before I place the whole thing on the grill.

Tbh, I've seen your work and it's magnificent. Not sure this is any better/worse than what's already been posted about puzza.

Again, I'm dealing with a picky 8 year old. Otherwise I would add some shrooms and anchovies. Not sure what that looks like though. I once swapped out the low moisture mozzarella for smoked mozzarella and that did not go over well for him...

thanks for the info, I just picked up a couple of CI pans and that looks awesome. I also have a 6 year old cheese only eater and a 9 year old sushi master on my hands so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Those are some outstanding looking pies T.

Usually add shrooms, but my wife and my picky 8 year old can't stand them.

Have you seen the commercial running on TV right now (we usually see it on DIY channel) that shows a dad using Potato Pay to entice his little daughter to eat her veggies.... two or three nice hot french fries for each bite. Maybe it would work with the shrooms. :unsure:

Those are some outstanding looking pies T.

Have you seen the commercial running on TV right now (we usually see it on DIY channel) that shows a dad using Potato Pay to entice his little daughter to eat her veggies.... two or three nice hot french fries for each bite. Maybe it would work with the shrooms. :unsure:

That's not a bad idea, Cliff...thanks. I will have to try this. He eats his weight in carrots but not many other veggies.

That looks awesome! We’re putting it on our short list. Maybe use up some more of our basil jungle, which quite frankly we can’t keep up with and are about to turn into pesto 😜

Last edited:
Thought I'd drop down a couple shots. Actually did this one on the gasser, but I usually use the Performer for pizzas. Pretty simple...made the dough using a recipe from SeriousEats. Toppings were basil, roasted red peppers, sausage, black olive. Usually add shrooms, but my wife and my picky 8 year old can't stand them. Laid down a base of provolone before topping and saucingView attachment 10690View attachment 10691View attachment 10692. Not bad!
When you do yours on your performer how do you stack the coals? I burned mine the last time on my kettle. I normally do them in the oven.
Nice looking pizza!

Thanks Jim,

I've used a setup taken from these boards. Basically, I use the charcoal baskets to raise the height of the pizza stone instead of storing the coals in them. Full starter of briquettes. I get them glowing, then place them on each side beneath the grill grates. But I'm still not getting great spotting on the bottom, fwiw. Tbh, I only do the pan pizza on the gasser. I try to go thinner crust with the Performer...hope that helps a bit.

Back