Brown Sugar Brined Pork “Ham” Loin

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
This is similar to what Harry Soo of Slap Your Daddy BBQ made. I deviated somewhat from his
recipe as I brined a 3.25 pound pork loin in a different Brown Sugar Brine Cure. His was basically
the same except I substituted pickling salt for the kosher salt and used a little less of the brown
sugar. I also only used 4 teaspoons of pink salt. The other main difference is that I injected 2
cups of the brine into the loin. I left it in the cure for 3 days. This morning I rinsed it off and
seasoned it with some Praline Topping from Cajun Injector. It was then put back into the
refrigerator for a few hours.

After tying the loin I put it on the WSM at 225. I am using KBB and a couple chunks of apple wood.

When the loin hit 138 I glazed it with the Pineapple glaze recipe from Harry Soo’s web site.

When it hit 145 I pulled it from the smoker. I poured the rest of the Pineapple glaze over the loin
and let it rest while I finished up dinner.

I put some of the leftover Pittsburgh potatoes from last night’s wing dinner and some pineapple
chunks on the WSM.

Pineapple is heated up, brown sugar melted and ready to eat.

The loin after decorating with the Pineapple and cherries and getting ready to be sliced.

Potatoes are heated up and off the WSM.

The loin ham is sliced!

Plated with some slow cooked (crockpot) green beans seasoned with some of my Cider Mill bacon.
Just about out of this and need to get a belly to make some more.

I was skeptical about getting that “ham” taste out of a pork loin. Not anymore! It was better
than any real ham that I have smoked. My wife, who is not much of a ham eater, stated that sh
e liked this much better too and this is the way I should be doing hams for now on. I agree! Really
delicious and not as salty as a normal ham and much easier on my wallet! On a side note if I would
have left the loin in the brine for another 2 to 4 days it would have been Canadian Bacon.

Thanks for looking!

Mike - that really is a great looking cook - Everything (as usual) looks so good!

DSC_5208_zps3228fdab.jpg

I really like this shot!

Back