BroilMaster P3 Restore

So what I thought was just crud on the control panel faceplate turns about to be what's left of the cellophane that it was wrapped in new and never removed. Any ideas how to get that off without damaging the painted numbers, logo etc...? WD40? The grates are CI...no doubt.

It is in amazingly clean shape. No idea about removing melted plastic besides scraping. You can get a new faceplate for around $30 I believe. The casters have like a 1" x 2" plate. They suck and are a pain to replace. I actually got one of mine off and got it rolling and put it back on. If you find replacements please post source and method with pics of your method of replacement. I have never done the bread test to check for even heating but it seems to be a very good cooker. Keep us updated on your progress.

There are 2 ways to go on the briquets.
or
The second option is more money but I would be tempted to buy them as they looked really nice in I think it may have been Bruce's build.
There is also a 3rd party one that is a little less expensive but not the greatest ratings.
The 2 grills I sold I painted Rustoleum Ultra Black (so it was glossy) and they looked really nice. I have not painted mine yet.
Since he converted did he also have a propane valve set? Just curious as it could be handy.

Thank you Sirs for the input and links thus far. I noticed that some of the Amazon sourced briquettes are slightly hollowed out on the flat side and some are solid. I suspect that's more about cost cutting than temperature control. I think I'm going to stick with briquettes as I had a Members Mark grill once upon a time that used the plates... they cracked frequently IIRC.
I just soaked all screws/bolts that penatrate the cast aluminum bottom with PB Blaster. None look corroded in place. There is an igniter box installed but no wire lead and no ignition power box button. I tried 90% rubbing alcohol on the control panel...swing and a miss. I'll up the stakes with incrementally with stuff with brake parts cleaner bring the last ditch.
Pretty sure something in my gun cleaning chemical assortment will work.
I'll probably install one side shelf and the front folding shelf after I clean them up. Thinking a coat or two of 303 Protectant or similar.
I'm going to cup brush the rust on the Weber S-210 NG and touch up the rusted areas and sell it. It served us well but rehabbing it every 2-3 years is a PIA.

Thank you Sirs for the input and links thus far. I noticed that some of the Amazon sourced briquettes are slightly hollowed out on the flat side and some are solid. I suspect that's more about cost cutting than temperature control. I think I'm going to stick with briquettes as I had a Members Mark grill once upon a time that used the plates... they cracked frequently IIRC.
I just soaked all screws/bolts that penatrate the cast aluminum bottom with PB Blaster. None look corroded in place. There is an igniter box installed but no wire lead and no ignition power box button. I tried 90% rubbing alcohol on the control panel...swing and a miss. I'll up the stakes with incrementally with stuff with brake parts cleaner bring the last ditch.
Pretty sure something in my gun cleaning chemical assortment will work.
I'll probably install one side shelf and the front folding shelf after I clean them up. Thinking a coat or two of 303 Protectant or similar.
I'm going to cup brush the rust on the Weber S-210 NG and touch up the rusted areas and sell it. It served us well but rehabbing it every 2-3 years is a PIA.
What year is your Weber? I am coming across more 5-7 year old Spirits that the cabinets are falling apart. The only reason I am still rehabbing some of these is the owners are about to bring them to the dump and I hate waste.

What year is your Weber? I am coming across more 5-7 year old Spirits that the cabinets are falling apart. The only reason I am still rehabbing some of these is the owners are about to bring them to the dump and I hate waste.
2013-14. I tossed the rusted sheet metal base and used it as a template for a plywood one which I stained the color of the deck which is grey. It has worked out fine. I'll miss the storage it provided but can come close with the opening in the back of the BM cart. I'll put a piece of wood or plastic to cover the tank hole in the base. Smoker box, wood chips, etc...
But for the stamped sheet metal structure, those style Spirits are excellent gassers. I have a propane model at our primary home. It's perfect...along with my new Akorn. Both cover most of the BBQ bases for us.

I've had success with these although minus the brake feature. The BM uses the same 2" diameter wheel. I'm going with these:

I've had success with these although minus the brake feature. The BM uses the same 2" diameter wheel. I'm going with these:
After you try them report back if the holes line up in the mounting plate or if you had to mod them.

After a bit of research, I've found that the particular model I have was made in 2002. Evidently, BM changed the size of the burner substantially in or around the 2010 model year. The burner size dropping from 21" to 17". BM claims it's the same BTU output and doesn't effect the grills performance but many owners disagree. While the BTU output was equal, the heat distribution was more centered in the firebox and less so to the perimeter. Music City Metals sells the 21" burner. for pre 2010 models so I bought one to have as a spare. Went with BM ceramic Briquettes. I'm painting it semi gloss black. Have a bid in for stainless side shelves too. The stainless folding shelves are outrageously priced unless anyone here knows a source for more inexpensive ones...used of course.

After a bit of research, I've found that the particular model I have was made in 2002. Evidently, BM changed the size of the burner substantially in or around the 2010 model year. The burner size dropping from 21" to 17". BM claims it's the same BTU output and doesn't effect the grills performance but many owners disagree. While the BTU output was equal, the heat distribution was more centered in the firebox and less so to the perimeter. Music City Metals sells the 21" burner. for pre 2010 models so I bought one to have as a spare. Went with BM ceramic Briquettes. I'm painting it semi gloss black. Have a bid in for stainless side shelves too. The stainless folding shelves are outrageously priced unless anyone here knows a source for more inexpensive ones...used of course.
I purchased the 21" Music City one and so far am happy. I wanted the SS folding shelves but also found them over priced. You need one of them if you want a side burner which is what I was thinking about.

Gotta say I would not break my neck buying a rotisserie for it. The performance of spinning food on them is MEH. Especially compared to something outstanding like an old style Genesis

Back