BroilMaster P3 Restore

Any experience with Meeco’s Satin Black Stove Paint? That product is ready available where I live, so would be nice if someone here had success with it in the past.

Never used of it....never heard of it either. Of course, that doesn't mean much. It could be a Canada exclusive paint. I think any name brand would do well as long as it is rated for the use....IE high heat.

I think the brand used to be called Heat Safe. The dealer here said the company has had products on the market for 25 years and their techs and contractors prefer it over Stove Bright because it goes on more evenly (better spray/spread). It’s rated to 1200F like the Stove Bright.

I think the brand used to be called Heat Safe. The dealer here said the company has had products on the market for 25 years and their techs and contractors prefer it over Stove Bright because it goes on more evenly (better spray/spread). It’s rated to 1200F like the Stove Bright.
Stove bright spray heads are horrible from my experience.
Ah, ok. Maybe that’s why the Meeco’s products goes on better. I might give the Meeco’s a go! My P3 has been sitting sandblasted and ready to go for a few weeks now. It’s about time I finish this restoration project! I’ll post before and after pics once it’s all done and assembled. Thanks for the tip about the Stove Bright spray heads!!

Last parts arrived today, so I’m off to grab some paint tomorrow and looking to do all the work next week. The weather looks warm enough to spray paint outside; I just need to hope for a day with no wind. Where I live, it’s windy pretty much everyday with 20mph being quite standard and gusts can go up to 60+mph on occasions. Here’s a shot of all the new (OEM as much as possible) parts I’ve sourced. 21” bowtie burner, SS rock grate, ceramic briquettes, non-coated cast iron cooking grates, rotary igniter, heat gauge, gas control knobs, NG to LP conversion kit, LP dual gas valve, and SS miscellaneous hardware. Hope this all ends up how I’m hoping it will…

Attachments

• D8E733B2-5175-40ED-B384-1E042353A597.jpeg
    D8E733B2-5175-40ED-B384-1E042353A597.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 8
I was surprised to find a Broilmaster here too; especially one only 2 hours away. I guess that’s why I don’t feel quite so bad spending so much on the restoration as I’m keeping this for as long as it will work. Since most of the new parts had to come from the U.S., I got hit with shipping, customs/duty, and the exchange rate. My plan was to come in under what a new Napoleon Rogue would cost me, and with the sandblasting on bbq head went over that a little. I just love the idea that I will likely never see another one like mine in my circle of friends, and that it may out-perform whatever anyone else has!

The hardest part of my restore was drilling out the old igniter and figuring out putting in the new one. They are great grills. I also reinforced the shelve bolts with backers as I used them to move the grill around.
Would big stainless steel washers work as reinforcements for side tables?

Do you guys paint the edges of the lid and bottom? The horizontal surfaces that touch when the bbq is closed. My plan was to paint the two pieces separately slightly elevated off the ground (each piece placed over a small box that will keep them up off the ground), but then I thought about the edges which would be facing the ground. I would need to flip the pieces, mask off entire inside and do some precise taping only exposing the edges. Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit. Did I just answer my own question?

I’m also wondering if I need to do anything to “season” the inside before cooking with it? It’s bare metal due to the sandblasting right now. I know it’s aluminum and they come new looking like bare metal inside, but I wanted to check with the experts here to be sure. My thought was to paint the outside, heat cure as per paint instructions, reassemble, and start grilling.

You can tape off the inside edges of the cook box and lid if you like, but if you spray the lid with something inside it to hold it off the ground like a 5 gallon bucket, then you can simply spray the edges upwards. If you are careful, the over should be very minimal and a little over spray is not a problem. Same goes for the cook box, but that will be upside down on the 5 gal bucket or whatever you use when you paint it... And yes, I always spray the bottoms, even though no one will likely ever see it. A least on a Weber Genesis grill. Just paint the outside of the grill though.

Don't worry about seasoning the cookbox or lid. That will happen naturally.

Was lucky to have found a couple times to paint over the last three days. The weather is really spotty right now, but I found some calm weather with the perfect temp and humidity so I jumped and got the painting done. I think it turned out great. Planning on assembling everything tomorrow and doing the heat cure. Here’s where it was at earlier this evening.

Attachments

• BAEB8371-90AD-4160-872E-FB352F0397DE.jpeg
    BAEB8371-90AD-4160-872E-FB352F0397DE.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 15
Was lucky to have found a couple times to paint over the last three days. The weather is really spotty right now, but I found some calm weather with the perfect temp and humidity so I jumped and got the painting done. I think it turned out great. Planning on assembling everything tomorrow and doing the heat cure. Here’s where it was at earlier this evening.
Looks great thus far!
Perhaps I didn't prep my lid as well as I should have when I painted mine approximately two years ago. It sits on the deck of our beach house and I cover it from November-March. I plan on repainting it in the next few weeks...Likely just the lid though. 20230305_105514.jpg20230305_082229.jpg

Looks great thus far!
Perhaps I didn't prep my lid as well as I should have when I painted mine approximately two years ago. It sits on the deck of our beach house and I cover it from November-March. I plan on repainting it in the next few weeks...Likely just the lid though. View attachment 70563View attachment 70564
That's a nice grill Jay! I have had mixed results painting aluminum grill parts. It seems to me the paint doesn't hold up as well after you strip the parts to bare metal and I've taken great care in the prep. I think the best approach is to find some one to powder coat the parts even though that's an extra expense.

That's a nice grill Jay! I have had mixed results painting aluminum grill parts. It seems to me the paint doesn't hold up as well after you strip the parts to bare metal and I've taken great care in the prep. I think the best approach is to find some one to powder coat the parts even though that's an extra expense.
Thank you, Steve. I'm going to give a light sanding, solvent cleaning and then paint it with a roller and either foam brush or China bristle brush with this: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/specialty-paints/appliance/12689

Back