BroilMaster P3 Restore

Looks great. Quiet nice evening if not ccccold here as well. Had a pneumonia front come through last night. Close to 80 late in the afternoon then bam down to the 40s

One thing I am learning since moving to the Midwest is that weather here is crazy and unpredictable. I take whatever my phone weather app says with a grain of salt. It is significantly off almost half the time, and predictions three or four days out are way off.

Anyone can predict the daily weather in South Florida from now to October: Hot sticky and thunder showers in the late afternoon!

Jon, I agree. It seems that the weather forecasters are worse now than they were 20 years ago.....at least in my experience.

One thing I am learning since moving to the Midwest is that weather here is crazy and unpredictable. I take whatever my phone weather app says with a grain of salt. It is significantly off almost half the time, and predictions three or four days out are way off.

Anyone can predict the daily weather in South Florida from now to October: Hot sticky and thunder showers in the late afternoon!
That's why I try real hard not go to Wrigley Field until July, before then you may find yourself at a Bears' game in December.

Well that's not a midwest thing. It's a Lake effect thing. Can't begin to count how many times I listen to Chicago radio and them saying how chilly it is in Chicago in mid to late spring, yet out here basking in 80 or more yet only 50 in Chitown

Prepped followed by a fresh coat of paint. Used a brush followed by a foam roller. Easier to take the handle off than tape it.

20230518_085034_hdr-jpg.70756

20230518_091102_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20230518_085034_HDR.jpg
    20230518_085034_HDR.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230518_091102_HDR.jpg
    20230518_091102_HDR.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
Any ideas on how to stabilize the bow tie burner more securely? I have the burner stabilizer arm and collector box that support the burner vertically in the middle, but is there a way to minimize the sides wobbling? On my unit, the burner stabilizer arm is not attached to the burner; it just acts as a ledge for the burner to sit on. Since I will be wheeling it around frequently, I don’t want to have to remove the grills, briquettes, and briquette grate to adjust the burner if/when it shifts.

Also, how tight do the gas orifices need to be inside the Venturi tubes? Mine literally slide in and out quite easily; hence my question about minimizing the burner shifting around.
The Venturi tubes do just slide over the two gas feeds and the burner does fit rather loosely. You could stabilize it by using an L bracket bent to fit or perhaps pipe strapping (perforated metal tape) and a small nut and bolt through any one of the holes in the bottom and than one of the four screws on the bottom ofbthe burner.

Question Sir: NG...bluer flame, Venturi mixture screens more open or more closed. Google tells me 1/4 open NG, 1/2 open propane. Hardly a solid answer.
I know that this is directed to Larry since he is our resident expert, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I'm working on a project and part of it requires marrying up parts between an LP and an NG Ducane grill. From what I've been reading so far, natural gas needs more air mixed in (I guess trust me as much as you trust google, since we are probably reading some of the same articles LOL).

Anyway, the shutters on the donor LP grill were half closed. There were no shutters on the NG grill, so it was basically wide open.

Either way, I will be testing the shutter position once I get everything put back together again, but wide open for NG is going to be my starting point.

If I can find the link, I will send it to you. But I think it's going to be on a case by case, grill by grill basis.

I know that this is directed to Larry since he is our resident expert, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I'm working on a project and part of it requires marrying up parts between an LP and an NG Ducane grill. From what I've been reading so far, natural gas needs more air mixed in (I guess trust me as much as you trust google, since we are probably reading some of the same articles LOL).

Anyway, the shutters on the donor LP grill were half closed. There were no shutters on the NG grill, so it was basically wide open.

Either way, I will be testing the shutter position once I get everything put back together again, but wide open for NG is going to be my starting point.

If I can find the link, I will send it to you. But I think it's going to be on a case by case, grill by grill basis.
If there were no shutters it was due to it being butchered up prior. Like I indicated earlier gas is gas once it's metered as far as the burners are concerned. Done more conversions both ways than I can count. Never once had to change the air mix

The Venturi tubes do just slide over the two gas feeds and the burner does fit rather loosely. You could stabilize it by using an L bracket bent to fit or perhaps pipe strapping (perforated metal tape) and a small nut and bolt through any one of the holes in the bottom and than one of the four screws on the bottom ofbthe burner.
Thanks for the ideas!

Restoration complete! Finally got nearly everything done and it works as expected. Here’s a quick recap: bought 90’s P3 on SS cart for $50CAD. Cleaned it up, sandblasted the box/lid inside and out. Repainted with Meeco’s Red Devil satin black stove paint. Replaced temperature gauge, briquette rack, ceramic briquettes (discovered I don’t have enough so will be sourcing more), 21” bow tie burner, cast iron waterfall grates (non-porcelain coated), rotary igniter/collector box, control knobs, dual gas valve/tubes/orifices (NG to LP conversion), and much of the SS hardware. I think it turned out pretty good, but am curious to hear what you guys think!

One question: is this sitting right on the cart? Is the bottom of the grill supposed to be level or should the head be leaning back a bit to facilitate grease drainage? The cart came adjusted with the bottom level of the cookbox level to the ground. Thanks again for all the tips and advice along the way!

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 18
Restoration complete! Finally got nearly everything done and it works as expected. Here’s a quick recap: bought 90’s P3 on SS cart for $50CAD. Cleaned it up, sandblasted the box/lid inside and out. Repainted with Meeco’s Red Devil satin black stove paint. Replaced temperature gauge, briquette rack, ceramic briquettes (discovered I don’t have enough so will be sourcing more), 21” bow tie burner, cast iron waterfall grates (non-porcelain coated), rotary igniter/collector box, control knobs, dual gas valve/tubes/orifices (NG to LP conversion), and much of the SS hardware. I think it turned out pretty good, but am curious to hear what you guys think!

One question: is this sitting right on the cart? Is the bottom of the grill supposed to be level or should the head be leaning back a bit to facilitate grease drainage? The cart came adjusted with the bottom level of the cookbox level to the ground. Thanks again for all the tips and advice along the way!
Nice work. Looks great! I found a side burner for mine on FBMP...$60.
They're rare but out there if you're interested. How were the wheels on the cart?

Looks incredible. Broilmaster discontinued the larger burner, so lucky you finding one. I still think the larger one performed better. Not sure how you found it but good on you. Same for the bare CI grates. Good work. Not sure about your question. I actually had one of those on that cart but sold it before using it. I bought it as a parts grill. It was a Ducks Unlimited version in their green color

Looks incredible. Broilmaster discontinued the larger burner, so lucky you finding one. I still think the larger one performed better. Not sure how you found it but good on you. Same for the bare CI grates. Good work. Not sure about your question. I actually had one of those on that cart but sold it before using it. I bought it as a parts grill. It was a Ducks Unlimited version in their green color
The larger burner is available from Amazon for $105 or so...Music City Metals. There is also supposed to be a grease trap that sits in that back opening about 2-4" below the cookbox. Although I've never seen any drippings and I don't have one either.

The larger burner is available from Amazon for $105 or so...Music City Metals. There is also supposed to be a grease trap that sits in that back opening about 2-4" below the cookbox. Although I've never seen any drippings and I don't have one either.
I had the OEM Broilmaster instruction and it said to simply hang an old can in the back. With ceramic briquettes mine collected a lot of grease in it. With the ceramic tiles it really burned up the grease and basically nothing got in there

Yah, the old 1970's BM that I rehabbed simply had a bracket the hung below a hole in the cook box and was designed to hold a tin can (soup or veggie can) to catch the drippings.

20200811 BroilMaster - After (21).JPG

I had the OEM Broilmaster instruction and it said to simply hang an old can in the back. With ceramic briquettes mine collected a lot of grease in it. With the ceramic tiles it really burned up the grease and basically nothing got in there
I started to make one from galvanized floor joist bridging but used the piece to secure the grill to a deck post after the wind blew it over. I have the stainless grease trap drawer but Im thinking a coat hangar and soup can as Bruce mentioned will work just fine.

Back