BroilMaster P3 Restore

Beautiful restore. Between the ceramic briquets and the flat bottom of the grill I never found that grease made it to the grease cup in my P3. Very different design from the Weber which aggressively channels grease to collection.
I find the same thing. The ceramic briquettes or the tiles completely cover the area where grease or marinades might drop. I find doing a quick burn off followed by putting my leaf blower to them keeps all in order.

Nice work. Looks great! I found a side burner for mine on FBMP...$60.
They're rare but out there if you're interested. How were the wheels on the cart?
Thanks! I like the clean look of no side tables, so I think I’ll keep it that way for now. The wheels on the cart seem to be fine. Are there usually issues with wheels on these old carts?

Thanks! I like the clean look of no side tables, so I think I’ll keep it that way for now. The wheels on the cart seem to be fine. Are there usually issues with wheels on these old carts?
They were the only thing with rust on them when I restored my circa 2003 P3. Removing them and replacing the casters looked quite difficult so I just shot them up with spray on lube and PB Blaster and left them but I don't move the grill very often and only a few feet when I do.
If I ever do replace them, I'll take my Sawzall with a hacksaw blade to them.

Looks incredible. Broilmaster discontinued the larger burner, so lucky you finding one. I still think the larger one performed better. Not sure how you found it but good on you. Same for the bare CI grates. Good work. Not sure about your question. I actually had one of those on that cart but sold it before using it. I bought it as a parts grill. It was a Ducks Unlimited version in their green color
Thanks! Strangely enough, I sourced the 21” burner (Music City Metals), rock grate, and ceramic briquettes from an online Canadian shop called grillspot.ca. They don’t have a ton of Broilmaster stuff, but they had much of what I needed. Similarly, the bare CI grates were aftermarket and sourced from another online Canadian shop called grillpartszone.com. I actually asked them to make sure the grates were uncoated because it didn’t specifically mention that in the description. I used bbqfunstuff on eBay for small things like the rotary igniter (so lucky to find that!), knobs, and heat gauge. All these shops were quick to reply to questions, and shipped really fast. In particular, bbqfunstuff was amazing! They combined shipping, answered questions within minutes, and were just a pleasure to buy from. Will definitely buy from them again if the need arises. My question about the position of the head on the cart is about the leveling of the grill head. If grease does make its way down to he bottom, it will likely just pool there as the bottom is level with the ground. I thought maybe it should be tilted back a bit to allow the grease to run to the back channel where the grease opening/cather are located. However, a sloped cooking surface doesn’t make sense either so that’s why I’m a bit unsure. The cart allows for adjusting the forward/backward angle of the grill head, so I could make it so the bottom of the head slopes to the back a little.

They were the only thing with rust on them when I restored my circa 2003 P3. Removing them and replacing the casters looked quite difficult so I just shot them up with spray on lube and PB Blaster and left them but I don't move the grill very often and only a few feet when I do.
If I ever do replace them, I'll take my Sawzall with a hacksaw blade to them.
In all honesty, I didn’t even look under there to see if there’s rust. They roll just fine and like you, I may not be moving it that much. I’ll definitely have a look to make sure though!

Beautiful restore. Between the ceramic briquets and the flat bottom of the grill I never found that grease made it to the grease cup in my P3. Very different design from the Weber which aggressively channels grease to collection.
Good to know! Thank I don’t know much about Weber designs, but it’s cool to know there’s a lot of variation between brands.

The larger burner is available from Amazon for $105 or so...Music City Metals. There is also supposed to be a grease trap that sits in that back opening about 2-4" below the cookbox. Although I've never seen any drippings and I don't have one either.
I do have the original grease collector drawer that slides onto the wire bracket at the back. It’s just not on there in the pics I posted. Good to know it will likely see little action!

Last edited:
Hey guys! I’m still debating whether or not my grill is sitting correctly on the cart. It is set so the bottom of the grill box is level with the ground. Assuming the square hole in the side of the cart is level, the bottom of the box is pretty much parallel to the hole. My problem is seeing the top edge of the cook box NOT being level with the ground. Assuming my deck rail is level, you can see how the cook box tips forward. I can adjust the cart so the top of the cookbox is level, which would then make the bottom of the cookbox tip slightly back. I thought this was how it should be since the grease drain is at the back and sloping back slightly would help move grease into the trap. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!IMG_2560.jpeg

I would go with the bottom of the grill box needing to be level with the ground. The top edge is probably shaped that way by design.

Got another set of ceramic briquettes from grillspot.ca and now I can finally start using the BMP3! I needed more than I initially had to fully cover the rock grate. Also, I managed to get three coats of seasoning with avocado oil on the CI grates, so I think they should be good to go. How many coats of seasoning do you all think would be good in order to start using the bbq and not having stuff stick?

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2590.jpeg
    IMG_2590.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 12
Got another set of ceramic briquettes from grillspot.ca and now I can finally start using the BMP3! I needed more than I initially had to fully cover the rock grate. Also, I managed to get three coats of seasoning with avocado oil on the CI grates, so I think they should be good to go. How many coats of seasoning do you all think would be good in order to start using the bbq and not having stuff stick?
Too much makes them sticky

Back