Brisket price???

Yah, that is about how I did my coned brisket several years ago. It was OK, but it wasn't really fun or interesting. The taste was OK, but not great. And yes, I have seen several threads on BBQing briskets and that is what peaked my interest in trying one out. And that I will.

Yah, that is about how I did my coned brisket several years ago. It was OK, but it wasn't really fun or interesting. The taste was OK, but not great. And yes, I have seen several threads on BBQing briskets and that is what peaked my interest in trying one out. And that I will.

First off, as a person who works in Philadelphia and lives nearby, sorry about your Vikings. I'm not a football fan, but even I know that was a pretty one-sided game.

Anyway, I've found the quality of briskets at my local Walmart to be hit-or-miss. I typically get them from an old-timey butcher shop near me (usually ~4.00/lb) or the local restaurant supply place (usually just under $3/lb) - in both cases, they're Choice grade. The butcher says he can get me a Prime brisket, but it'd be around $8/lb. Choice is good (and cheap) enough.

Dang, I went to my grocer today, and brisket price has shot through the roof. They've been selling this cut for $4 a pound, now its $6 , what the heck ?

Its " whole trimmed " meaning they've cut a lot of fat off a packer cut .

1KdNtXH.jpg

1uCXM9c.jpg

Yah, that is getting up there in price. A packer that has been trimmed would be a great price at $4, I would think. Maybe six bucks isn't so bad, but it sure makes that overall price pretty big.

Thats not bad for trimmed, and it's certified angus beef which is pretty good. I wish we had CAB at the grocery store. My butcher has all natural prime for 5 bucks a pound for a packer. I think he's charging 4 for choice but its an upper 2/3 choice like CAB I believe.

At this store , prices for " whole trimmed " has been consistently running between $4 and $4.50. I asked an employee stocking the meat shelves, and they thought the price increase to $6 was odd, also. And did not know why.

These briskets always look a lot better than the select packer cuts at WalMart , where its 2.80 per pound.

Would a $2.80/lb walmart packer trim up and be a better value than the $4-$4.50/lb briskets at your store?

I've tried to run the math on that , and it gets tricky. There's a large variable of how much fat is on the packer cut. That brisket in my pic, is 11.5 # , I would guess the packer cut was in the 14 to 16 range.

As far as pure price, the Walmart select is gonna be a lower price, cuz the butcher at my store is gonna charge something for trimming the fat. Its paying for convenience.

But if I can get CAB Choice " Whole Trimmed " for $4.50 or $5. Thats what I buy.

My last one from Costco was 2.99/lb. Prime.
Probably trimmed off a pound and a half to two pounds of fat from a 14 pound packer.
Doggone it' now I’ve just finished a snack and I’m hungry again!

have your friends/family check Costco for their prime brisket, if you know someone with a membership - it's priced about the same as the full packer at walmart.

As for the pre-cured corned beef that was mentioned, you can smoke it instead of boil it, and it becomes pastrami. I believe the cures are pretty close. I've done the pre-cured corned beef both ways and have even cured my own packer from walmart for pastrami - check the Charcuterie sub-forum for more info.

Here's the Quick Pastrami from the cooking topics:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html

The one thing I don't like about the pre-cured corned beefs is that it always seems to include the fat seam between the point & the flat. Probably not such a big deal for me now, but early on I always found it kind of gross.

Well, I can see this little pastrami project will have to happen pretty soon, especially now that my wonderful wife gave me a slicer for Christmas!!

I have a Costco membership but it is 50 miles away. I will check them out next time I am down there. What is the difference between their Prime and the Walmart Packer?

Walmart is choice beef, the ones I’ve been getting at Costco have been Prime!
Pick up two next time you go, freeze one. I’m trying to keep one on hand all the time. Next time I go, I’ll get a pair and be ready!

I found a $100 CAB Choice brisket at my grocer this morning. I asked the clerk stocking the meat dept, if they brought the brisket in on an armored vehicle, and she acted like she didn't hear me :)

At5vzeO.jpg

BxSm4JS.jpg

Yah, walk through the beef section in Costco some day and look over some of the cuts. Lot's of them pushing the Hundski mark. And that is for a lot less than 16lbs of meat. check the Prime rib roasts some time.

The meat manager at my local store says they get Prime or CAB packers in, and often trim them in the store, add $1 to $2 per pound to the retail price, re-cryovac them and sell them as "trimmed". That said. the CAB packer above doesn't look too trimmed.

The meat manager at my local store says they get Prime or CAB packers in, and often trim them in the store, add $1 to $2 per pound to the retail price, re-cryovac them and sell them as "trimmed". That said. the CAB packer above doesn't look too trimmed.

That one had more fat than the others. And it was much heavier at 16#'s , most are around 13# .

But I've always thought the term " whole trimmed " was an oxymoron, like " jumbo shrimp " .

Sam's club has CAB Choice for $2.80 , or thereabouts. But as far as pricing goes, this grocer I use, Crest Market, has very low prices on everything else, they're competitive with WalMart.

Back