Brisket gravy?

We served our guests with a tomato ketchup based sauce and whilst it was lovely it tasted we thought a bit too tomato strong.

Suggestions please for an appropriate recipe?

TIA,

Pete

Maybe Aaron Franklin's?

Aaron Franklin’s Espresso Barbecue Sauce Recipe​

Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:​

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) freshly pulled espresso
Brisket drippings, for flavoring

Instructions:​

Mix the ketchup, both vinegars, the soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the espresso, and then add the brisket drippings to taste. Let cool, then transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Gravy?.. that's what we call barbecue sauce.

And of course, purists will tell you that's not needed for well cooked meat. It might even be considered blasphemous.

Personally I like a little barbecue sauce.

Most of the problem that I have with sauces is that they rather overpower the meat. At least for my own 'cue, I rarely use any.

I might politely suggest looking up Number Five sauce from @Steve Petrone listed in the Sauces/Recipes sub-forrum.

Bachan's Japanese is alse good, thin and very soy sauce forward.

I’d recommend making a simple jus from the brisket trimmings you take off the brisket when preparing it for seasoning.

The beef bits and pieces in some sautéed mirepoix will make a simple beef stock.

This is the one I've been using for years for anything beef. I do often leave out the hot sauce in favor of a dried chile or two depending on what I have around.

I like AF's sweet sauce.

But for brisket, the pro/power move is to put drippings into whatever sauce you are going to use.

Maybe Aaron Franklin's?

Aaron Franklin’s Espresso Barbecue Sauce Recipe​

Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:​

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) freshly pulled espresso
Brisket drippings, for flavoring

Instructions:​

Mix the ketchup, both vinegars, the soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the espresso, and then add the brisket drippings to taste. Let cool, then transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
That’s a very good sauce for brisket. It really does enhance the beefiness of a slice of brisket or on a chopped brisket sandwich. JEFF

This is a great sauce to start with. It does involve ketchup, but I love the vinegar bite. There are some Texas barbecue sauces that are almost a lite gravy but they aren't that well known and are usually served at very old joints.

This is a local joint that serves a very thin sauce that Daniel Vaughn of Texas Monthly did an interview with. I haven't seen a sauce like it, but unfortunately they don't give a recipe. He mentions mustard, ketchup and vinegar with some spices. I suspect some drippings in there.

I cooked a brisket this past weekend and being lazy I just picked up a bottle of Franklin's bbq sauce. It's actually kind of similar to the No. 5 sauce but no one used it. I like sauce on the side and I'll dip into it as needed.

One thing you could do is go more mustard based. Salt Lick has a great sauce. Leroy and Lewis in Austin made a version based on it, in this video. I haven't tried it but it sounds awesome:

Its sounds like your guests prefer a Brisket that is Braised and has it own sauce. Like a beef pot roast . There is many Eastern European recipes. You can adapt to your grill/ smoker. Using a cast iron dutch oven. I hope this helps

Its sounds like your guests prefer a Brisket that is Braised and has it own sauce. Like a beef pot roast . There is many Eastern European recipes. You can adapt to your grill/ smoker. Using a cast iron dutch oven. I hope this helps

yes the number5 sauce I tried searching the sauces folder for it but it came up with nothing at all.

Back