Sauce breakdown help

J Graz

TVWBB Super Fan
Below is the sauce that I normally use with brisket. Today I'm doing my first chuck roll and used a newley modified (w/help) rub. I would also like to slightly mod this also.

1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon of bacon fat
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup beer
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons steak sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Hot sauce to taste
2 cups beef stock

My question is about the first 4 ingredients. To me they seem like a basic rub. Would It be benificial to switch these 4 with equal parts of my rub used? This is a link to the rub I'm using.
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=345101413#345101413
I have always liked this sauce and often use it as a dip for sandwiches. Any thoughts on the matter would be great.

Yes, cut those and replace with the rub.

I'm assuming you sauté the onion in the bacon fat...? Do so till it is lightly browned in spots then add the garlic and cook till it's fragrant, about 45-60 secs (don't let it brown). Stir in the rub and keep stirring about 20 secs. Add the beer immediately then add the green pepper and then the rest of the ingredients.

When the pepper is quite soft purée the sauce or force through a sieve. Skew the flavor, if necessary, slightly toward the acidic by adjusting the vinegar and/or Worcestershire. This will help balance the fattiness of chuck roll.

Hope this helps.

I thought that would be the case, but wanted to make sure. The way you stated cooking is pretty much how I do it though I usually leave chunks. I'll try it your way. Thanks again you have really been a wealth of info on this chuck roll.

You're welcome.

I like the flavor better of purées but often either just purée 1/2-3/4 of it or just briefly purée all - unless I'm looking for a smooth finish.

Back