Brisket Cook

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
11 pound prime brisket. First time using oak. had a nice smokey flavor. a little bitter (maybe I needed to let the oak light a little before putting the meat in?). not much of a smoke ring for some reason. pulled it a little too early because I was worried about drying out a nice piece of meat like that. next time i'd let it go for another 20 minutes or whatever. people enjoyed it. it was nice and moist.

here's a photo of it in progress:

IMG0695-1434307202-thumb.jpg

here's it off the smoker:

IMG0698-1434380402-thumb.jpg

sliced:

IMG0700-1434335402-thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

I've never done a brisket, the fear factor of destroying a $50 hunk of meat keeps me away. Maybe someday because there are sure some nice looking brisket cooks on here and yours is one of them.

Fantastic Brisket Matt, I understand your fears and why you pulled it early. Next time, tooth pick it for tenderness and when the tooth pick goes in like butter, you're done

Matt, you did good. I am thinking of doing one for my wife's birthday July 4th weekend. Think I will call ahead to Jims and make sure they will hold one for me. Was getting them from Smart and Final buy they were not prime. Did you wrap at the stall or go bare? If you wrapped, what did you use. TIA

Fantastic Brisket Matt, I understand your fears and why you pulled it early. Next time, tooth pick it for tenderness and when the tooth pick goes in like butter, you're done

Thanks. This is kind of funny. I put skewer it into the point and it went in like butter. went in so much like butter it went through the brisket completely and I ripped my foil and juice started dripping out of the brisket into the smoker, so I took it out. I then put it in the flat after i took it out and it wasn't as tender. I figured it would carry over a little and didn't put it back in the smoker. I left my maverick in and it didnt' carry over cook at all (I guess because it was cooked at such a low temp). oh well. live and learn. it was still very good and among the best I've made.

I've never done a brisket, the fear factor of destroying a $50 hunk of meat keeps me away. Maybe someday because there are sure some nice looking brisket cooks on here and yours is one of them.

I had the same fear and really had only done smaller ones and they were all cheaper cuts. This was the most expensive piece of meat I've done. I'm happy with the result, but I'm confident i'll do better next time.

Last edited:
Matt, you did good. I am thinking of doing one for my wife's birthday July 4th weekend. Think I will call ahead to Jims and make sure they will hold one for me. Was getting them from Smart and Final buy they were not prime. Did you wrap at the stall or go bare? If you wrapped, what did you use. TIA

Thanks bob. It was a good piece of meat. not a lot of fat or waste either. literally didn't throw away anything off the finished product and maybe cut a half a pound of fat off it when I was prepping it.

I wasn't going to do anything, but the stall was so long I was worried we weren't going to eat on time so I wrapped with aluminum foil and rose the temp of the cooker. wouldn't hesitate to do it the same way. my bark was good and it was nice and juicy and well seasoned (I used a mix of salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder). as I said, the only negative was slightly undercooking it and a slight bitter smokey taste, but it hardly was shoe leather. also I made some of franklin's sweat sauce (recipe posted here) and everyone enjoyed it. no one touched the regular bbq sauce.

also my in laws got some freshly baked rolls from a bakery in san diego whose name I've forgotten and my mother in law made some outstanding vinegar based cole slaw. had a couple of first rate brisket sandwiches. They also brought a nice selection of beers (I'm a lucky guy!). Good time had by all.

Last edited:
I looked at 5 packers at Walmart the other night and they were not good. The flat was very thin and tapered down to nothing. I was surprised as the last packer I got there was pretty nice and my mouth still waters when I think of the burnt ends I got from it.

By the way...Good job Matt! I've only done a couple briskets myself and have been lucky with them. But there always seems to be something you can tweak a little to make the next one perfection.

Thanks guys. As I said before I was worried about ruining it, but despite some mishaps I can't wait to try another one. My wife told me it's the best thing I've made on the wsm and my twin boys actually ate some which I assure you is a big deal since they are in a picky phase. Personally I prefer ribs, but I'm not going to complain about the compliments.

That was an awesome brisket you did. Sounds like you had a great time with the family. Like Rich said we would love to do one but the price makes me think twice before doing it. It's a lot to pay if something goes wrong.

That was an awesome brisket you did. Sounds like you had a great time with the family. Like Rich said we would love to do one but the price makes me think twice before doing it. It's a lot to pay if something goes wrong.

Back