Brisket and Sausage

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Cooked a brisket and some sausage this past weekend for my birthday.

Getting ready to grind.

Ground and mixing with jalapeno and cheddar.

Stuffed links.

Brisket trimmed.

Seasoned with Goldee's Brisket rub.

Fire going.

Brisket cooking.

Alice checking on the progress.

I cooked the brisket and held it to serve the next day. I didn't want to fire up the Franklin for the sausage so the kettle got the call.

This was actually some Southside market 1882 sausage I wanted to try.

Oh baby that is some sweet stuff.....I love your posts on sausage, makes me more jealous than I want to admit.
Brisket is great too of course.
Happy belated of course.

Your sausage making is always top notch, Dustin! Still using the high temp cheese?

That brisket looks killer, too! :)

R
I had some high temp left over, but not enough so this sausage was about half, the high temp and half regular cheddar. I think all they are doing with the high temp cheese is dehydrating it some. A sharp cheddar does pretty good and it's cheaper. You just have to cut it up.

This is the best I've ever rendered the fat on a brisket. I had a few parts that got blasted by all the air flow in this pit, mainly the very tip of the point. and bit along the far side of the flat was away from the door that I couldn't spritz all that well. I only cook a few briskets a year, but I'm getting there. That rendered fat is absolutely delicious. I think a foil boat brisket might solve my issues. Or just strategically placing some foil at some point during the cook.

I had some high temp left over, but not enough so this sausage was about half, the high temp and half regular cheddar. I think all they are doing with the high temp cheese is dehydrating it some. A sharp cheddar does pretty good and it's cheaper. You just have to cut it up.
That's a good tip.....I haven't used any high temp since I ran out of the first bag I bought. I always have sharp cheddar around for one of the breads I'm making, so easy enough to pilfer some from the "bakery" stocks! :) Thx!

R

Happy Birthday!
Everything looks amazing - the brisket looks perfect, that color on the sausages is over the top! Cheesy goodness for sure - Looks like you have a great little helper there with Alice 🐶...

Back