Breaking in the shiny new WSM 22" - first cook: rib party!

MorrisWesterik

So, due to busy schedule I had to wait a few weeks since receiving and assembling my WSM 22", but Saturday was the day, at last: time to try it out!

Reports of rain and incoming snow were definitely not going to thwart my plans: at 10:00 I lit the Fire Up briquettes and poured hot water in the pan of the Weber, then set out to prepare the meat!

8b9a6028bba85d5326d4463bab3d3f3e.jpg

The st-Louis style pork ribs were ready to go: nicely trimmed and put Smokey Goodness Pig rub on them (I did not use a binder: I had thought about Worcestershire, but the rub stayed on just fine).

The Irish grass-fed beef ribs were quite a bit fatty: trimmed quite a bit, but later found that I could have removed a bit more there. Used a coarse grain mustard on both as a binder and rubbed one with Smokey Goodness' "Beefalicious" rub and the other with "Texas Beef Rub".

558c1896967e91259a4b5b1657162a8a.jpg

It was only at 11:30 with all the cold wind that the WSM got up to temperature (around 210) and I put on the meat for the start of some 6 hours of cooking!

The hardest part was not going to look every ten minutes: I did that wrong previously on my kettle and took it as a chance to exercise some patience. Despite rain, wind and later even some first snow, the WSM quietly continued to run at 100-115 C. A few times I put in a handful of soaked apple wood chips (my ordered chunks did not come in on time) and kept an eye on the coals, but halfway through I finally got to look and luckily it looked good:

add4b90754b14f6986c36365cfc6aee9.jpg

I wrapped the pork ribs in foil to let them go for another 2 hours with honey and butter. The beef ribs were doing fine and their internal temp was climbing steady enough, so I decided to leave them on as they were. The WSM stood up well against the cold weather, but I did go through a whole bag of briquettes very quickly. Luckily, I still had a bag of Weber lump charcoal lying around, so I was able to keep the heat stable between 210 and 250.

After those 2 hours I removed the foil from the ribs and smeared them with a mix of the gravy from the foil and some of my new BBQ sauce.

Around 17:30 the core temperature was where I wanted it and everything went off to rest.

9adb83bfa0afe705c77079bc11f36b6a.jpg

8e04f5cfa9bc88c299797ea196a25091.jpg

Here are some more shots of the meat : I was surprised by the smoke rings!

0bf1d38e4b2b00219640c0b9759fc1d4.jpg

f3b113ddb3a1c83225bb3cbeac231d1c.jpg

All in all a very successful first time practicing with the WSM: the smoke flavor was very pronounced (maybe the rub, the briquettes or even the lump charcoal I added later...?) I hope to get that better with the ecobrasa coconut briquettes that are in the mail on their way to me). I wonder if there might not also have been some smoke salt or something in the rub, so next time I'll try just pepper and salt (I confess: I was over-enthusiastic about all the new rubs and suddenly forgot my intent to stick to a simple salt and pepper mix).

Anyway, we had a good meal and there is still plenty left: turns out it is excellent when eaten cold, too! I hope you enjoyed my write-up and I welcome tips and tricks!

Lessons learned:

- patience
- keep a poker handy
- WSM in cold weather eats charcoal/briquettes
- easy on the rub
- take sufficient time to let the meat rest
- starting the briquettes and getting the WSM up to temperature takes time
- I can be a bit bolder when trimming fat

Last edited:
Wow, beautiful looking ribs! Glad your maiden voyage was a success. I have an 18" WSM, so can't speak to the charcoal appetite of the 22, though I've heard it can be hungry. As I've gotten more comfortable with my cooker over the years, I've gone to not using water in the pan and I think that helps slow the fuel consumption a bit. Welcome to TVWBB and WSM ownership!

Great looking ribs, Morris!! After another few cooks, you'll have things wired for your preference in terms of smoke, etc. I've started taking all the fat off the beef ribs that I do. There is plenty of intramuscular fat, and the hard stuff on top just doesn't render. Glad you found some good ones, and you cooked them just perfectly! Nice work!

R

Great looking ribs, Morris!! After another few cooks, you'll have things wired for your preference in terms of smoke, etc. I've started taking all the fat off the beef ribs that I do. There is plenty of intramuscular fat, and the hard stuff on top just doesn't render. Glad you found some good ones, and you cooked them just perfectly! Nice work!

R
Thanks, Rich! Your kind welcome inspired me to check out more butchers and the local bbq forums where people said good things about this online butcher: they had a special on beef ribs and well, the rest is in my post!

I will be trimming down quite a bit more, that is for sure, and this cook inspired me to try out some sweet, sticky pork ribs next time and continue my beef ribs experiments with simple salt and pepper next time. In my mind the best kind of cooking is that not only gets you a good meal and pleased diners, but also gets you fired up for “next time”!

Last edited:
I don't often wish I had a 22 instead of an 18, but that third photo really tempts me. A great cook!

Yeah, being able to lay lots of ribs out flat is imo the primary reason to get the 22 instead of the 18.

The 18 can handle multiple shoulders and briskets just fine. But ribs on the 18 require some kind of work around -- racks, rolling, hanging (my method), cutting, etc.

8CD8F914-5732-46A1-9393-D1E1A96B4F80.jpeg
I had a beef short Rib at Lewis Barbecue in Charleston today, this is my first time having Beef Ribs and honestly it tasted like pot roast to me - is that how it’s supposed to taste? I think I may just be a bigger fan of bbq pork and chicken!

Attachments

• 065F9C2A-821F-4588-96B8-4208161453EA.jpeg
    065F9C2A-821F-4588-96B8-4208161453EA.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 5

Back