Bread

Quite some time ago, I bought "Four, Water, Salt, Yeast" by Ken Forkish. I've been making 'same day' breads from that book and really enjoying them for a couple years. COVID has provided more time at home and thus more opportunities for some of the more extensive recipes. I made a sourdough starter (Levain) a little over a week ago and baked the first loaf from it this morning. Definitely the best bread I've ever made. If you're into making bread, or thinking about it, I highly recommend this book.

View attachment 8989View attachment 8990View attachment 8991
That’s a beautiful loaf of bread. I ordered the book on Wednesday after seeing some posts at the freshloaf.com and watching some of his videos. It will be great to be able to make sourdough bread at my convenience.

That’s a beautiful loaf of bread. I ordered the book on Wednesday after seeing some posts at the freshloaf.com and watching some of his videos. It will be great to be able to make sourdough bread at my convenience.
Jeff, you found the best bread related forum on the Internet at thefreshloaf.com. I've been on there since about 2012, and it's very similar to TVWBB in terms of the level of experience, friendliness, and all around helpfulness. While the FWSY book really got me going, virtually everything else I know about sourdough bread came from TFL.

R

Jeff, you found the best bread related forum on the Internet at thefreshloaf.com. I've been on there since about 2012, and it's very similar to TVWBB in terms of the level of experience, friendliness, and all around helpfulness. While the FWSY book really got me going, virtually everything else I know about sourdough bread came from TFL.

R
Agrred! The fresh loaf is a real good source of info and people! Under recipes look at the blueberry braid. OMG! Still havent tried it. Floyds foot ball batards are my go to for yeat bread.

Rich, I can do a pretty good job draining the bank all by my self. But, I do appreciate some direction now and then otherwise it’s just Willy-Nilly and I feel bad about it.

Okay you guys got my bread making hormones all fired up again. I've got two CI Dutch ovens that are strictly dedicated to making bread so I don't get any funky flavors from the others that are used for stews and such so might as well put them to work.
So Barbs got 3 days off in a row and she even wants to make some bread. At least two rounders coming up, with the monsoons coming starting tomorrow going to be stuck inside so why not.

Jeff, that loaf looks fantastic! Great bloom and ear on that sucker!

Jim, which EM recipe did you use. I've attempted them many times, and just never have come up with something I like. Yours look perfect!

R

Back